Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New petrol station in Westport

Options
  • 31-01-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I live nearby Westport, but I was away for the last month.
    Few days ago I just saw a brand new petrol-station near roundabout (where the old Tim Hastings dealer building was).
    It seems to be self-service 24h open station.

The only trick is they don't sell petrol :(

I've seen diesel, agridiesel and kerosene, but no petrol.

Is this just temporary, or there really isn't any plans for petrol there?

Prices seems very low, (about 5c cheaper per diesel comparing to other local stations).

Anyone know anything?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've been meaning to ask the same myself. 24-hour self service pay at the pump - yes!! No petrol - wtf??!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

By law there must be an attendant on site at all times for the sale of petrol. This is not the case for diesel

What a stupid law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What a stupid law.

fire safety.

irishgeo wrote: »
    fire safety.
    And yet, countries all over the world have unattended petrol stations. How often do fires start at petrol stations, and how well trained is the average forecourt attendant in hazmat firefighting?

I get that there are reasons for these laws, but isn't there any political will to find a pragmatic balance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    And yet, countries all over the world have unattended petrol stations. How often do fires start at petrol stations, and how well trained is the average forecourt attendant in hazmat firefighting?

I get that there are reasons for these laws, but isn't there any political will to find a pragmatic balance?

A fire officer up the country would not allow a pay at pump petrol pump to used at all even with the attendant present, it had to locked up before a motorway service station was allowed to open for business, not sure if they sorted it out.

the relevant law is http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1979/en/si/0311.html#zzsi311y1979a44

1979 :rolleyes: as usual out of date
    45. (1) Where the dispensing of petroleum Class I is carried on at a retail store the following provisions shall apply:

( a ) the dispensing of petroleum shall be constantly supervised and controlled by—
    (i) one or more authorised persons situated in a central position and not less than 17 years of age, or
    (ii) one or more authorised persons situated in the forecourt area where the delivery of petroleum is being made to the fuel tanks of vehicles;
    ( b ) where the supervision and control of dispensing pumps are being exercised from a central location, there shall be provided at that location an efficient isolating switch or other device for cutting-off the power to all pumps and electric lighting circuits of pumps, and the isolating switch or other device shall be in addition to the separate control switch required to be provided by these Regulations for each pump;
    ( c ) where a central control location is provided, all self-service pumps and the forecourt area used for the delivery of petroleum to the fuel tanks of vehicles shall be clearly and readily visible by the authorised person from that location;
    ( d ) where supervision is being exercised by an authorised person from a central location, petroleum shall not be dispensed from a self-service pump unless an authorised person is present in that central location, but this requirement shall not apply if the control system for each pump has been de-activated to prevent delivery of petroleum other than by a separate control system for a pump attended by an authorised person in the forecourt area;
    ( e ) where the supervision and control of dispensing pumps are exercised by an authorised person from a central location—
    (i) a system of communication shall be provided to enable that person to issue instructions to customers without leaving his location, and
    (ii) the number of dispensing pumps under his supervision and control shall not interfere with the efficient carrying out of his duties in relation to the prevention of risk of injury to person or property;
    ( f ) an authorised person referred to in paragraph (a) of this Regulation shall, so far as it reasonably practicable, ensure, before a pump under his supervision is activated for the delivery of petroleum to the fuel tank of a vehicle, that the engine is switched off and that the appropriate provisions of these Regulations are observed;
    ( g ) subject to any condition attached to a licence sufficient and suitable lighting shall be provided in the area of the forecourt where a dispensing pump is located, and a general level of illumination shall be maintained of not less than 10 lumens per 0.10 square metres, the intensity of illumination to be measured in the horizontal plane at the top of the cabinet, housing or enclosure of each dispensing pump available for use;
    ( h ) in the event of spillage or leakage of petroleum likely to cause a fire, explosion or other dangerous occurrence, the authorised person shall immediately de-activate all dispensing pumps and take all other practicable steps in accordance with his duties under these Regulations for the protection of persons or property against risk of injury.
    (2) Where an authorised person is not present at a retail store no petroleum Class I shall be dispensed into the fuel tanks of vehicles owned by the public unless in accordance with and subject to the conditions attached to a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Can you buy kerosene 24hrs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Binka wrote: »
    Can you buy kerosene 24hrs too?

Yup.

Advertisement