Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone in America

• 31-01-2012 10:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

heading to New York at the weekend, right in time for the Super Bowl, a few years ago I bought an iPhone 1 in the store there and brought it home to use with no hassle, would it be possible for me to get an iPhone over there now to bring home (i.e. phone only no contract).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Yes its possible, just buy an unlocked one in an apple store but make that its not the Verizon or sprint model they use a different network than the gsm we use here. The one that you want is the gsm model that they sell on at&t.

Oh and make sure you have it up and running if you want to dodge customs on the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes its possible, just buy an unlocked one in an apple store but make that its not the Verizon or sprint model they use a different network than the gsm we use here. The one that you want is the gsm model that they sell on at&t.

As long as the iPhone 4S is unlocked, you don't have to worry about AT&T or Verizon, it will work on GSM networks in Europe. With previous models you had to ask for the AT&T model as this was the only one that took a SIMM.

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T in the United States.* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4/about_unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

coylemj wrote: »
    As long as the iPhone 4S is unlocked, you don't have to worry about AT&T or Verizon, it will work on GSM networks in Europe. With previous models you had to ask for the AT&T model as this was the only one that took a SIMM.

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T in the United States.* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4/about_unlocked

As long as the iPhone 4S is unlocked, you don't have to worry about AT&T or Verizon, it will work on GSM networks in Europe

* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint

Is this not conflicting info....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

As long as the iPhone 4S is unlocked, you don't have to worry about AT&T or Verizon, it will work on GSM networks in Europe

* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint

Is this not conflicting info....

No, it says as long as its unlocked it WONT work on the CDMA network. Which means it WILL work on GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

A word of warning to the OP. I'm not sure whether Apple Retail stores carry the unlocked sim free version as standard. You might have to order it through the online store for pick up in the retail location. If that's the case then I think there's a 2 week wait at present.

For the OP's sake, I'm happy to be corrected on this :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks folks, just checked it out there and the current price is $649 for a 16GB unlocked 4GS, I don't think it's worth that, I'll stick to the 3GS that I have.

Thanks again

Rael wrote: »
    A word of warning to the OP. I'm not sure whether Apple Retail stores carry the unlocked sim free version as standard. You might have to order it through the online store for pick up in the retail location. If that's the case then I think there's a 2 week wait at present.

For the OP's sake, I'm happy to be corrected on this :)

I've heard that Apple stores in the US will actually unlock new AT&T stock on the spot if they've no unlocked phones in stock.

Advertisement