Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Work while in College?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I searched and couldn't find anything relevant to me, so I hope I'm not doing this wrong (I'm not very experienced with Boards.ie so please don't kill me if this is posted in the wrong place).

I'm currently doing my Leaving Cert, and I want to go to college in Galway more than I want to retain my left arm to be honest! It's a big thing for me, but I have a problem - I can't afford it. So I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice. I'm hoping to get a student loan, but as I'll have to make monthy repayments, I'll need a part time job.

So finally, onto my question: What are the chances of getting part time work while going to college in Galway? Anyone here got part time work? Or has anyone tried to get part time work but failed? Thanks in advance everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Are you eligible for the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I'm afraid not. I've looked into it and I'm my parents earn a tiny bit more than the minimum pay to be considered. I think I'll apply anyway, although I know I'll be refused. So for the meantime, I have to consider plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dunny5000

paddykell wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    So finally, onto my question: What are the chances of getting part time work while going to college in Galway? Anyone here got part time work? Or has anyone tried to get part time work but failed? Thanks in advance everyone :)

I got a job in Galway and have had one since september in first year (3 years ago). You will probably not find anything relevant on websites like jobs.ie etc but keep an eye on them in case.
    Your best bet is to come to Galway around the second week in august before the rest of students with a bale of cvs.
    You are looking for jobs anyone can do, cashier in a shop, bartman, cleaner, receptionist etc.
    When you give in your cv make sure you give it to the manager and hand it to him unfolded so he/she looks at straight away. They are getting cvs all the time so even small things could help.
    I know I am going on a wee bit now but the crucial thing is coming back. If a place expresses even the slightest interest go back to them.
    I came back to the place I work in now and the guy had completely forgotten that I came in the first place but I got an interview the second time round and now I have a job for the last 3 years.
    Finally (thank god), go EVERYWHERE, bars, shops, cafe etc but alos the likes of schools (cleaning or whatever) and B&Bs (I work in a B&B righgt now.

Thats what I did and I got offered 4 jobs so you should get something.
    good luck. also avoid loans as much as possible saddling yourself with debt too early is a huge burden and you should earn enough to live even if you don't get a full 20 hour week.

Dunny5000 wrote: »
    I got a job in Galway and have had one since september in first year (3 years ago). You will probably not find anything relevant on websites like jobs.ie etc but keep an eye on them in case.
    Your best bet is to come to Galway around the second week in august before the rest of students with a bale of cvs.
    You are looking for jobs anyone can do, cashier in a shop, bartman, cleaner, receptionist etc.
    When you give in your cv make sure you give it to the manager and hand it to him unfolded so he/she looks at straight away. They are getting cvs all the time so even small things could help.
    I know I am going on a wee bit now but the crucial thing is coming back. If a place expresses even the slightest interest go back to them.
    I came back to the place I work in now and the guy had completely forgotten that I came in the first place but I got an interview the second time round and now I have a job for the last 3 years.
    Finally (thank god), go EVERYWHERE, bars, shops, cafe etc but alos the likes of schools (cleaning or whatever) and B&Bs (I work in a B&B righgt now.

good luck. also avoid loans as much as possible saddling yourself with debt too early is a huge burden and you should earn enough to live even if you don't get a full 20 hour week.

Thanks so much for all the information and advice! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, and it has given me a bit more hope about going to college. I'm definitely going to do that, let's hope it all works out. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

paddykell wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the information and advice! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, and it has given me a bit more hope about going to college. I'm definitely going to do that, let's hope it all works out. Thanks again :)

No advice to offer - but just to say good luck with your Leaving Cert and hope you get to do the course you want!

• Advertisement

No advice to offer - but just to say good luck with your Leaving Cert and hope you get to do the course you want!

Thanks very much! I hope I do get into NUIG after all of this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Agree with Dunny, it's hard to find work but it exists. I've always been able to find a job every time I've gone looking for one in Galway. You have to be creative and persistent (One of my friends only applies to places that have recruitment signs up, don't mind that. Most of the jobs I've gotten have been just going into random businesses and asking are they looking for staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hongalway

Dunny5000 wrote: »

this may sound like a bit of a stupid question but when you say make sure you hand it to the manager, how did you know you were talking to the manager? did u just ask whoever was behind the counter that you wanted to speak with the manager or what?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dunny5000

hongalway wrote: »
    this may sound like a bit of a stupid question but when you say make sure you hand it to the manager, how did you know you were talking to the manager? did u just ask whoever was behind the counter that you wanted to speak with the manager or what?? :D

Ya just ask for the manager. If they are not around come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

You can also apply to work in the College Bar or the SU shop in college, it's pretty handy to have a job on campus where they take your timetable into consideration!! They usually have online application around August :) Good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

if you think you can handle it then i would highly recommend getting a part time job. i do think it depends on what course you get though. if you are going to be inundated with college work and have to work you might get stressed out which will really affect the "college experience" :p
    maybe you should try getting a summer job and see how you fair out with saving the money from that. even if you are still in need of money at least you will have enough saved up for the first few months of college and that will really help alleviate some stress :)
    as someone else suggested start looking as soon as you can just so you have peace of mind when you start

Advertisement