Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Martin being opportunistic and disgraceful.

• 31-01-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

According to RTE news Michael Martin wants a referendum on the new EU fiscal treaty. Government position is that there will be one if the AG says it is necessary to comply with our Constitution. On matters of EU treaty FG and Labour have always acted responsibly, but it seems FF want to ape Sinn Fein and ULA in the matter. Twice in the last 48 hours two FF frontbenchers, Calleary and McGrath said FF would not seek a referendum if the AG advised it was not necessary. FF in disarray, or acting the gurrier ? I suspect the latter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I say never trust a man who has two Christian names for a full name.

George Michael
    Elton John
    Clark Kent
    Zach Morris
    Cliff Richard

They're all trouble :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Best ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

It won't matter what they want, this treaty is going through without a referendum, I'd be surprised if it hasn't already been signed. Merkozy and crew have made sure that we won't need one so that it can be passed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

M. Martin is cringe inducing and utterly two faced, where does he think we've been while he and his cronies wrecked the country...under a rock?
    I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Whats you point ..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

George Michael
    Elton John
    Clark Kent
    Zach Morris
    Cliff Richard

What about a man who has two surnames for a full name? (eg FF leader Montgomery Burns.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

George Michael
    Elton John
    Clark Kent
    Zach Morris
    Cliff Richard

Enda Kenny is one, too...just to mention it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Martin and FF have no shame, but I suppose its bred in their marrow since time they destroyed the country, first in civil war, then economic war, then in 1970s, 1980s, and more recently with so called Celtic Tiger along with their friends in Banks, Building trade etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tony Blair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

George Michael
    Elton John
    Clark Kent
    Zach Morris
    Cliff Richard

You must really distrust the Welsh.

James James

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Tony Blair

Bill Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Every time Micheál Martin speaks, I get a little sick in my mouth.

How the guy sleeps at night is beyond me.

Totally shameless, and an utter disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    You must really distrust the Welsh.

What does your username mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Underdraft wrote: »
    Bill Clinton.

I like this game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I find it quite offensive when Fianna Fáil TDs or whatever are interviewed on the news and start moaning about the the current government and the mess the country is in, as if they could be handling it much better. The sooner people just ignore them and let the party die, the better.

So, in short, I wouldn't waste my time caring about what any Fianna Fáil member has to say for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

George Michael
    Elton John
    Clark Kent
    Zach Morris
    Cliff Richard

you forgot enda kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭migemo

Opposition in 'different point of view than the government' shocker.

What does your username mean?

Why?

Will Martin read the new treaty same as Biffo did not. And Martin, as Minister for Health, did not read the nursing home brief which cost this state a few billion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    Why?

Don't know, sounds like you're from fucking India or some shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

M cebee wrote: »
    you forgot enda kenny

But I mentioned him, Post No.8, page 1 of this thread :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Should we not have a referendum to allow the people have their say on this, considering its long lasting implications? Attacking the idea of a referendum just because FF are supporting a stance (along with the rest of the opposition) is just skirting past the issue itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Underdraft wrote: »
    Bill Clinton.

Sean Sherlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

According to RTE news Michael Martin wants a referendum on the new EU fiscal treaty. Government position is that there will be one if the AG says it is necessary to comply with our Constitution. On matters of EU treaty FG and Labour have always acted responsibly, but it seems FF want to ape Sinn Fein and ULA in the matter. Twice in the last 48 hours two FF frontbenchers, Calleary and McGrath said FF would not seek a referendum if the AG advised it was not necessary. FF in disarray, or acting the gurrier ? I suspect the latter.

Would you ever cop yourself on? :rolleyes: Yes Martin and FF are hypocrites, but what about FG and Lab who were happy enough to see the will of the people get a re-run because they weren't happy with certain referendum results?

And remember all their lies about Lisbon "vote yes for jobs"..... :mad: Well, the people eventually voted for Lisbon, but it didn't do much for jobs, did it? :rolleyes:

I smell a lot of FG lackeys on here lately trying to steem the tide of justified criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

List of TDs in current Dail with a surname that can also be a first name.

BARRY, Tom Fine Gael Cork East
    BUTLER, Ray Fine Gael Meath West
    CAREY, Joe Fine Gael Clare
    FERRIS, Anne Labour Wicklow
    FERRIS, Martin Sinn Féin Kerry North-W Limerick
    Harris, Simon Fine Gael Wicklow
    KELLY, Alan Labour Tipperary North
    KENNY, Enda Fine Gael Mayo
    KENNY, Seán Labour Dublin North East
    KIRK, Seamus Fianna Fáil Louth **
    KITT, Michael Fianna Fáil Galway East
    MARTIN, Micheál Fianna Fáil Cork South Central
    MITCHELL, Olivia Fine Gael Dublin South
    MITCHELL O'CONNOR, Mary Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    NEVILLE, Dan Fine Gael Limerick
    PERRY, John Fine Gael Sligo-North Leitrim
    ROSS, Shane Independent Dublin South
    RYAN, Brendan Labour Dublin North
    SHATTER, Alan Fine Gael Dublin South
    SHERLOCK, Seán Labour Cork East
    STANLEY, Brian Sinn Féin Laois-Offaly
    TROY, Robert Fianna Fáil Longford-Westmeath
    WALLACE, Mick Independent Wexford

Debatable

ADAMS, Gerry Sinn Féin Louth
    COLLINS, Áine Fine Gael Cork North West
    COLLINS, Joan United Left All. Dublin South Central
    COLLINS, Niall Fianna Fáil Limerick
    HUMPHREYS, Heather Fine Gael Cavan-Monaghan
    HUMPHREYS, Kevin Labour Dublin South East
    MATHEWS, Peter Fine Gael Dublin South

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Don't know, sounds like you're from fucking India or some shit.

Are you racist?

You mean the phonetic similarity between, I presume, Singh and Sindri or even possibly the homonymy of Sindri and Sindri, Jharkhand in India.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Should we not have a referendum to allow the people have their say on this, considering its long lasting implications? Attacking the idea of a referendum just because FF are supporting a stance (along with the rest of the opposition) is just skirting past the issue itself.

Should we have had a referendum on the much bigger disaster that was the bank bailout ?

The two main political parties are sickeningly two-faced, but FF are definitely ahead when it comes to inconsistency and pretending to represent Ireland's best interests.

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Chick chick a chick aahhh

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Opposition in trying to make government look bad shocker?

It doesnt matter what party is in the others will do whatever they can to make it look like they are not serving the people.

Some load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have to laugh at all these FF TDs now, using every single thing the Gov does to have a pop at them.

The FG/Lab Gov is screwing us now simply because the FF Gov screwed up the country for many years to come.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have to laugh at all these FF TDs now, using every single thing the Gov does to have a pop at them.

The FG/Lab Gov is screwing us now simply because the FF Gov screwed up the country for many years to come.

Idiots.

All true. But the fact remains that FG still have a choice to do things fairly and are refusing.

FF's cock-up isn't forcing Enda to break his pay cap

FF's cock-up isn't forcing FG to pay unguaranteed bondholders.

FF's cock-up isn't forcing FG to not reign in spending.

FF's cock-up isn't forcing Kenny to subversively lay blame at everyone's door by refusing to use the word "some"

FF isn't forcing Varadkar to spend a fortune on photos.

Yes, FF are a joke of an opposition because they sold their authority to object and their double-standards makethemis weasel-word objections a joke.

But that doesn't excuse FG for shafting the many many decent folk who didn't subscribe to the bubble's frenzy.

but FF are still disgracefully at 17% in opinion polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Of course he is both opportunistic and a disgrace. That's what is required and expected of the opposition in our parliament.

Just looking at the last few governments. During Albert Reynold's time in office Fine Gael opposed pretty much everything the government did and worked on driving a wedge between Fianna Fail and Labour (although Fianna Fail also worked on creating a wedge but Fine Gael were pushing hard with them). Then when Fianna Fail and Bertie were in opposition they spent two years jumping up and down and attacking the government on the economy, the mishandling of the Northern peace process, corruption (Lowry, Covney etc) etc and worked the media and public into a frenzy about a government that had not been in power long enough to cause a fraction of the problems they attributed to them. Leading to the famous "Pay back time" headline. Then for the 8 years of the boom Fine Gael and Labour in opposition kept attacking the government on everything they could (bar the peace process which to their credit they supported and worked together on) and spent the first two terms of Bertie's government trying to claim they created the boom thanks to their 2 years in the rainbow government. Then things went to hell and Fine Gael and Labour suddenly changed to "nothing to do with us, we had nothing to do with the boom".

We put the best pot hole fillers and coffin chasers into the Dail and then we are surprised that they are opportunistic? We elect the individuals who have come through the most vicious nasty internal local party setup and are surprised that they are disgraceful. There isn't a single man or woman in that chamber I would trust to mind my goldfish while I was on holiday and yet we trust them look after our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

but FF are still disgracefully at 17% in opinion polls.

Not surprising and I don't think the other crowd would have done much differently if they'd been at the helm during the celtic pyramid.

We need to be able hold politicians criminally accountable for spending or making promises of spending anything more than a set amount of millions on banks, infrastructure, failed speculators and pay agreements that the tax-payer is liable for.

I dunno, I'm just completely disillusioned.

• Advertisement

They are an opposition party, they are doing there job, even if this is cynical and petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's the oppositions job to pick fights and point out issues.

When Labour where in opposition Ruari Quinn promised the hardworking men and women of Ireland two extra public holidays a year, still waiting

Enda Kenny had an election manifesto and was going to hire two thousand extra gardaí.
    Instead the most experienced and best members are retiring and headcount is being slashed.

I'm looking at redundancies in the HSE and the best and most experienced midwifes are leaving while over two thousand work in the soft safe job of HR. :rolleyes:

The US presidency always talk about their first one hundred days to effect change, well Enda has almost a year and I'm seeing very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Micheal Martin, keeping Ireland FF free for the forseeable future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    List of TDs in current Dail with a surname that can also be a first name.

BARRY, Tom Fine Gael Cork East
    BUTLER, Ray Fine Gael Meath West
    CAREY, Joe Fine Gael Clare
    Harris, Simon Fine Gael Wicklow
    KELLY, Alan Labour Tipperary North
    KENNY, Enda Fine Gael Mayo
    KENNY, Seán Labour Dublin North East
    KIRK, Seamus Fianna Fáil Louth **
    KITT, Michael Fianna Fáil Galway East
    MARTIN, Micheál Fianna Fáil Cork South Central
    MITCHELL, Olivia Fine Gael Dublin South
    MITCHELL O'CONNOR, Mary Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    NEVILLE, Dan Fine Gael Limerick
    PERRY, John Fine Gael Sligo-North Leitrim
    ROSS, Shane Independent Dublin South
    RYAN, Brendan Labour Dublin North
    SHATTER, Alan Fine Gael Dublin South
    SHERLOCK, Seán Labour Cork East
    STANLEY, Brian Sinn Féin Laois-Offaly
    TROY, Robert Fianna Fáil Longford-Westmeath
    WALLACE, Mick Independent Wexford

Debatable

ADAMS, Gerry Sinn Féin Louth
    COLLINS, Áine Fine Gael Cork North West
    COLLINS, Joan United Left All. Dublin South Central
    COLLINS, Niall Fianna Fáil Limerick
    HUMPHREYS, Heather Fine Gael Cavan-Monaghan
    HUMPHREYS, Kevin Labour Dublin South East
    MATHEWS, Peter Fine Gael Dublin South
    "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is like the Nazi party giving out about the conditions in the gas chambers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mrrepublic

Michael Martin AKA two faced Martin.Was part of the F.F. Government that betrayed this country and lead us into our current difficulties I certainly hope that the Irish People never forget or forgive Fianna Fail for this.Fianna Fail are now known for been traitors to the nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

mrrepublic wrote: »
    Michael Martin AKA two faced Martin.Was part of the F.F. Government that betrayed this country and lead us into our current difficulties I certainly hope that the Irish People never forget or forgive Fianna Fail for this.Fianna Fail are now known for been traitors to the nation.

nobody will ever forget what FF did , didnt do right. its a shame the current regime seem intent on not delivering either.

nobody will ever forget what FF did , didnt do right. its a shame the current regime seem intent on not delivering either.

I will wait until the current government are three years in office before I decide on them.
    I like the rest of my family voted F.F. all our lives simply because our parents supported them, election 2010 most of us voted For F.G. and will wait to form an opinion, if they end up corrupt and crooked like F.F. they will be without my vote in future.
    I cannot ever see myself voting F.F. again as i could never forgive then for the hardship they brought on us all and if any of the remaining F.F. TD's were worth voting for they would have had the guts to walk from the corruption that they were all part of. How dare they criticise any other political Party, they still think the Irish People are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mrrepublic wrote: »
    I will wait until the current government are three years in office before I decide on them.
    I like the rest of my family voted F.F. all our lives simply because our parents supported them,

And people wonder why this country is f***ed. :rolleyes:

peter andre's got two forenames

no problem there?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

nummnutts wrote: »
    Every time Micheál Martin speaks, I get a little sick in my mouth.

How the guy sleeps at night is beyond me.

Totally shameless, and an utter disgrace.

Why? Because he's part of the party that had a hand in making a bollocks of things? Fair enough, but he's in opposition, it's his job to hold the government to account. If he didn't we'd be in even worse trouble without ANY opposition. The opposition don't need to have the moral high ground, FG didn't have it either! FG voted for the bank guarantee just like the rest. All the opposition need to do is question everything.

I'm no Micheal Martin fan, but the alternative as opposition is Gerry Adams. After he terrorised ordinary Catholics and Protestants for decades with constant fear and loathing of each other, anybody who doesn't find him preaching about the lives of ordinary people repugnant needs their head examined. At least Micheal Martin apologised for the role FF had in the mess, regardless of the sincerity, I don't recall Gerry Adams ever apologising for any innocent deaths.

i think? he's apologized in certain cases anyway

he won't condemn his 'army' anyhow

token101 wrote: »
    Why? Because he's part of the party that had a hand in making a bollocks of things? Fair enough, but he's in opposition, it's his job to hold the government to account. If he didn't we'd be in even worse trouble without ANY opposition. The opposition don't need to have the moral high ground, FG didn't have it either! FG voted for the bank guarantee just like the rest. All the opposition need to do is question everything.

I'm no Micheal Martin fan, but the alternative as opposition is Gerry Adams. After he terrorised ordinary Catholics and Protestants for decades with constant fear and loathing of each other, anybody who doesn't find him preaching about the lives of ordinary people repugnant needs their head examined. At least Micheal Martin apologised for the role FF had in the mess, regardless of the sincerity, I don't recall Gerry Adams ever apologising for any innocent deaths.

F.F.'s record in office since C.J.H. was leader is one of corruption and they were all prepared to put the interest of F.F. ahead of what was good for the country, leaders of the alternative opposition parties would be no worst so why do F.F. continue to look down their nose at them.Is it because F.F. represent the very Wealthy of this country.
    I do not recall any of the ordinary working people of Ireland been invited to the Galway Tent whereas all the greedy Bankers and Building developers were invited after all the brown envelope from the ordinary working man would be beneath the F.F. HIGH AND MIGHTY.

Fianna Fail brought a reign of corruption and failure to this country, and some people will still forgive them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fianna Fail brought a reign of corruption and failure to this country, and some people will still forgive them.

Despite what's happened since 2008, 1 in 5 people in this country would still vote FF. Let that sink in.

However at least they have managed to shake even a lot of the 'ah sure my family always voted FF' crowd so their vote will not recover miraculously for the next election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement