Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house at auction

Options
  • 31-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm interested in buying a house at an auction thats coming up and have a mortage offer letter from the bank etc but was wondering if anyone out there had bought at auction?Was it relatively straightforward?Any pitfalls I should lookout for?:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Is the offer specific to the house for auction or just a general letter saying they are willing to lend X amount of money? You may have a letter of offer that is ultimately subject to survey and valuation.
    The title has to be checked prior to auction and that has to be paid for regardless of whether you succeed in buying or not.
    Once a bid is accepted at auction 10% has to be paid over on the spot and the closing date is set. Fail to complete means the 10% is gone and there is a risk of being sued for more money.
    The bank may refuse to release the money at the time of closing for any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

It is also usual to get a property surveyed before you go to the auction - this avoids you buying a wreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

sorry for the bump dident see the point of creating a new thread!
    I was looking to get any feedback from someone with expirience im interested in bidding on an auction house however im not entirely sure of the procedure i presume getting a loan fully

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

sorry for the bump dident see the point of creating a new thread!

I was looking to get any feedback from someone with expirience im interested in bidding on an auction house however im not entirely sure of the procedure i presume getting a loan fully approved would be a first step before you can even put in for the minimum bid?

Advertisement