Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best coffee beans in cork

Options
  • 31-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Continuing with the recent trend of coffee related topics, what are peoples favourite coffee beans for home grinding. Mine are mahers French roast and cork coffee roasters morning growler. I want to try new beans so I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Personally I like the badger and dodo stuff especially when you get a freshly roasted bag. It does seem to lose flavour quite quickly but I only have maybe 3 cups a week at home...you can get it in bradleys on north main street

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I do love cork coffee roasters. There's some overpriced gurmans beans available on by fenn's quay, but I think they're not great for the price on them (they're grand like, but not worth €20 a pound).

Ordering online, hasbean are great, fairly light roast but you can taste the other flavours of the bean. The galway roast will also deliver to cork but i find their roasts to be particularly dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

I like Mark Kingston's beans. He has The Golden Bean stall at Mahon Point and Douglas Markets. Brock (Badger & Dodo) is also at the Douglas market on Saturday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

has to be Morning Growler...even for the name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

DM-BM wrote: »
    I like Mark Kingston's beans. He has The Golden Bean stall at Mahon Point and Douglas Markets. Brock (Badger & Dodo) is also at the Douglas market on Saturday mornings.

What time does the Douglas Market run?

I'm thinking about picking up an Aeropress, small hand burr grinder and some beans.

• Advertisement

10am-2pm every Saturday in Douglas Court carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

I think the Lavazza Rossa beans are great. €15/kg, full flavor and a nice roast. What more can you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I got some Italian roast recently from the coffee station in The English Market, its the bean they use for their own coffee. Will be going back for more, its really good. I usually stock up on Italian and French roast when I'm in Scally's Super Valu in Clon, huge selection there so you can take home a few different ones each time to try them out. Also keep a few bags of Morning Growler in the freezer for emergencies.

Not too pushed about Mahers TBH, don't like the huge bins they keep the beans in that are full of coffee dust, that has to go stale pretty quickly and I don't want to pay for stale tasting coffee.

To the poster who is thinking of getting the Aeropress, I got one, tried it, binned it. Sister rescued from the bin, tried it, binned it again. It stayed binned. Very fiddly for just a cup of coffee. I've tried a few different systems and keep going back to the trusty French Press. Get a GOOD, GOOD, GOOD quality one and its hard to beat it. I know others will swear by it but thats my tuppence worth.

Can you recommend a good one (French press)? I've a bodum one and it's grand is the best I could say about it but short of a big tesco one it's all I've had!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

When Bonnie goes shopping, she buys ****. Me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it, I want to taste it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Buceph wrote: »
    What time does the Douglas Market run?

I'm thinking about picking up an Aeropress, small hand burr grinder and some beans.

Here's their site.. If you're getting a hand grinder get the slim/mini Hario rather than the regular one. I got the regular one, it's wide and difficult to grip when you use it. You end up just sitting down and bracing it against your leg.

I have an Aeropress and it's the business as far as I'm concerned.
    To the poster who is thinking of getting the Aeropress, I got one, tried it, binned it. Sister rescued from the bin, tried it, binned it again. It stayed binned. Very fiddly for just a cup of coffee.

I can't think of a neater way to make coffee. What did you find fiddly about it?

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I have an Aeropress and it's the business as far as I'm concerned.
    I can't think of a neater way to make coffee. What did you find fiddly about it?

+1 on this. The Aeropress or the Hario V60 are probably the easiest/nicest ways to make coffee.

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Can you recommend a good one (French press)? I've a bodum one and it's grand is the best I could say about it but short of a big tesco one it's all I've had!

Yeah I have a Bodum one too, have a single cup one too but can't think of the make. I know I went for the most expensive one at the time and it seems to have paid off as I have it 4 years now and still plunges perfectly letting no grounds through.
    FTGFOP wrote: »
    I have an Aeropress

I'm presuming I have the right name for it (got it from a guy in the farmer's market in Mahon) - its the one where you use a filter paper and there are a few pieces to it, am I correct? Its at least a year since i used it so memory is sketchy. For me, there were just too many parts to it, too much fitting together of things. Also AKAIR, it only does one cup. Personally, I'd usually have a cup and a half or two cups each time so it wasn't for me, especially if someone else wanted coffee! French press all the way for me.

On a related topic, the gorgeous one drinks espresso. I got a cool little moka type thing espresso maker in Mahers that fills two cups. Problem is, it doesn't fill them evenly. Does anyone know where I might get a single-cup version?

http://fantes.com/images/1689espr-stove.jpg

One of these is what I'm looking for if anyone has seen one around Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

i havent seen one in any shop in cork, mahers 'might' have tem. i got one of them in rome last year and i love it. does a real nice espresso without the crema as it should be. or if mahers dont find it im pretty sure somewhere like amazon would

Id say your best bet would be the badger and dodo website. I got a great hand grinder off them last year. 2 days to deliver and got a freshly roasted bag too! They have aeropress

Advertisement