Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are they allowed do this!!!

Options
  • 31-01-2012 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Bit of a complicated story so i will just get to the end result.

Now I have had enough, today i went into the social welfare office and asked if there was anything at all for my partner as he has his own business but literally has not taken out a penny the past year, they then said he could apply for jobseekers allowance, so of course i was delighted, but then came the part about cohabbitting couples and means test.

If they decided to include my income im pretty sure he will get nothing. What i can't understand is where i became responsible for him, we are not married, when he took out his loans i never once signed any legal document to say that i would now pay for him. There is no benefit of us living together in terms of tax or other government allowances so why is it being used against us. If he lived with a friend he would get everything, if he moved back in with his parents he would get everything but living with me.... nothing. It makes no sense to me. I am being forced to cover his bills. how is this allowed?

<edited suggestion of fraud>

Any thoughts.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If your partner tells SW that he is living with his parents then the SW Inspector will call to see him at his parents house soooo .......Any way thats fraud, end of.
    Your partners PRSI contributions dont entitle him to any benefits., so he is asking the state for financial assistance to live. The department have to satisfy themselves that he does not have the means to support himself before they will give him any of this financial assistance. So they examine his financial set up, including any income his life partner (you) might have, bank accounts, the last 2 years accounts, property portfolios etc.There are strictlyapplied rules for the means test.
    You have to look at it like this, either he is dependent on the state, or dependent on you, he cant be both, not even a little. Best of luck to him looking for employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You may not have agreed to pay for your partner or his loans but im sure when the good times where rolling you benefited from his income and please dont say you didnt im sure your bills where paid on time, there was always food, rent/mortgage paid and im sure you both had a social life so yes you did benefit and now in the bad times its up to you to help out after all thats how a relationship works regardless of social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

edellc wrote: »
    You may not have agreed to pay for your partner or his loans but im sure when the good times where rolling you benefited from his income and please dont say you didnt im sure your bills where paid on time, there was always food, rent/mortgage paid and im sure you both had a social life so yes you did benefit and now in the bad times its up to you to help out after all thats how a relationship works regardless of social welfare
    Bull.
    How could you possibly know any of that.
    Self employed are treated appalingly in ireland.who'd be an entrepreneur.

Im sure the gov where happy to take his PRSI and income tax though during the good times as well as those of anyone in his employment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you wish to complain about gov policy ect please start a thread in the politics forum.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement