Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you Know ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Sindri wrote: »
    No they don't, they have complicated nervous systems and quite a large brain relative to their size.

They have been known, when kept in aquariums, that if they spy a bit of food across the corridor, they slip out of there tanks and will go eat it, except they will then go back and get in their own tanks again.

Also, tests that were done on their spatial awareness have showed that when challenged by a gap that is bigger than the cartilage between their eyes, they will not try and squeeze through it.

If they were as affectionate, or if we could form emotional attachments to them, as we do dogs, they would be very popular pets.
    WindSock wrote: »
    They have 3 hearts though and can open jars if there's food in them, they will also close the jar again. Awesome creatures I could never eat one.

What? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did you know that I just had a dump 5 mins ago.....nobody knew that unless the guy in Trap 2 next to me could correctly identify me from the fart I did as I pushed it all out!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Nice push!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

kfallon wrote: »
    Did you know that I just had a dump 5 mins ago.....nobody knew that unless the guy in Trap 2 next to me could correctly identify me from the fart I did as I pushed it all out!

:P
    Theres nothing better than when you fart the last bit out. Makes you feel like you accomplished something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Theres nothing better than when you fart the last bit out. Makes you feel like you accomplished something :p

Giving birth to me. The greatest accomplishment ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

A cat's breath smells like catfood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecation :pac:

A sufficient increase in fecal material in the rectum causes stretch receptors from the nervous system located in the rectal walls to trigger the contraction of rectal muscles, relaxation of the internal anal sphincter and an initial contraction of the skeletal muscle of the external sphincter. The relaxation of the internal anal sphincter causes a signal to be sent to the brain indicating an urge to defecate.

Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It is believed most dinosaurs were warm blooded and sucked at surviving new york sized asteroid impacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The atmosphere is not not colourless it is actually slightly blue, which is why the sky is blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

How can I turn this knowledge into a dig against foreigners living in Ireland?

Wattle wrote: »
    How can I turn this knowledge into a dig against foreigners living in Ireland?

Swans mate for life, so if you eat one you are breaking up a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

44leto wrote: »
    Swans mate for life, so if you eat one you are breaking up a couple.

Thanks for ruining my swan sandwhich :mad:

davet82 wrote: »
    Thanks for ruining my swan sandwhich :mad:
    LOL
    I find Swan tastes a little to close to Eagle for my liking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Sorry Mr. Glitter, would you mind moving out of the way.
    You're in my sun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

efb wrote: »
    strawberries aren't berries.
    but bananas are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Not sure if this was done before, I did a search and found nothing.

So I have an idea for a thread.

If you know some strange or interesting facts post them. Like where phrases and sayings came from and the like. i.e daylight robbery etc

In 2006 – the latest year for which figures are available – more than 100,000 people died, and an estimated 2,000,000 were seriously injured in road accidents in India.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

Soda water does not contain soda.

On the Wagon. In the US condemned prisoners who had taken their last drink in this life and were transported to the gallows by wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ducks can't somersault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Babylon 5 is our last, best hope for peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

pigs cant fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Dogs can't look up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bingbin/
    If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute.

In the average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.

Odontophobia is the fear of teeth.

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?". It wasn't until 1895 that someone suggested answering the phone with the phrase "number please?"

The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

Rhode Island is the smallest state with the longest name. The official name, used on all state documents, is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations."

When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.

There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.

The newspaper serving Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, the home of Rocky and Bullwinkle, is the Picayune Intellegence.

It would take 11 Empire State Buildings, stacked one on top of the other, to measure the Gulf of Mexico at its deepest point.

The first person selected as the Time Magazine Man of the Year - Charles Lindbergh in 1927.

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

It took Leo Tolstoy six years to write "War & Peace".

The Neanderthal's brain was bigger than yours is.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class.

The names of the two stone lions in front of the New York Public Library are Patience and Fortitude. They were named by then-mayor Fiorello LaGuardia.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.

Lucy and Linus (who where brother and sister) had another little brother named Rerun. (He sometimes played left-field on Charlie Brown's baseball team, [when he could find it!]).

The pancreas produces Insulin.

1 in 5,000 north Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.

There are 10 human body parts that are only 3 letters long (eye hip arm leg ear toe jaw rib lip gum).

A skunk's smell can be detected by a human a mile away.

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.

Henry Ford produced the model T only in black because the black paint available at the time was the fastest to dry.

Mario, of Super Mario Bros. fame, appeared in the 1981 arcade game, Donkey Kong. His original name was Jumpman, but was changed to Mario to honor the Nintendo of America's landlord, Mario Segali.

The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.

Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.

Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.

The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

World Tourist day is observed on September 27.

Women are 37% more likely to go to a psychiatrist than men are.

The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet (9 m).

Diet Coke was only invented in 1982.

There are more than 1,700 references to gems and precious stones in the King James translation of the Bible.

When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

Turning a clock's hands counterclockwise while setting it is not necessarily harmful. It is only damaging when the timepiece contains a chiming mechanism.

There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are people. The kangaroo population is estimated at about 40 million.

Police dogs are trained to react to commands in a foreign language; commonly German but more recently Hungarian.

The Australian $5 to $100 notes are made of plastic.

St. Stephen is the patron saint of bricklayers.

The average person makes about 1,140 telephone calls each year.

Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards.

If you had enough water to fill one million goldfish bowls, you could fill an entire stadium.

Mary Stuart became Queen of Scotland when she was only six days old.

Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

Flying from London to New York by Concord, due to the time zones crossed, you can arrive 2 hours before you leave.

Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet (2 m) away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

A lion's roar can be heard from five miles away.

The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; "7" was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP" indicated the direction of the bubbles.

Canadian researchers have found that Einstein's brain was 15% wider than normal.

The average person spends about 2 years on the phone in a lifetime.

The fist product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum.

The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765, a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets.

Beatrix Potter created the first of her legendary "Peter Rabbit" children's stories in 1902.

In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.

The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

A 41-gun salute is the traditional salute to a royal birth in Great Britain.

The bagpipe was originally made from the whole skin of a dead sheep.

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear. Any cup-shaped object placed over the ear produces the same effect.

Revolvers cannot be silenced because of all the noisy gasses which escape the cylinder gap at the rear of the barrel.

Liberace Museum has a mirror-plated Rolls Royce; jewel-encrusted capes, and the largest rhinestone in the world, weighing 59 pounds and almost a foot in diameter.

A car that shifts manually gets 2 miles more per gallon of gas than a car with automatic shift.

Cats can hear ultrasound.

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

Children grow faster in the springtime.

On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.

Paul Revere rode on a horse that belonged to Deacon Larkin.

The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.

Minus 40 degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down -- hence the expression "to get fired"

Nobody knows who built the Taj Mahal. The names of the architects, masons, and designers that have come down to us have all proved to be latter-day inventions, and there is no evidence to indicate who the real creators were.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

A 41-gun salute is the traditional salute to a royal birth in Great Britain.

The earliest recorded case of a man giving up smoking was on April 5, 1679, when Johan Katsu, Sheriff of Turku, Finland, wrote in his diary "I quit smoking tobacco." He died one month later.

"Goodbye" came from "God bye" which came from "God be with you."

February is Black History Month.

Jane Barbie was the woman who did the voice recordings for the Bell System.

The first drive-in service station in the United States was opened by Gulf Oil Company - on December 1, 1913, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Buffalo's have wings, hence the term buffalo wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

The length of a day on earth used to be shorter than it it is today and in millions of years it will be noticeably longer. 'Leap seconds' are added occasionally by some international time standards group to keep the 'mean solar time' in check with time measured by atomic clocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Cork, was knicknamed the rebel city because they backed a pretender to the throne of England called Perkin Warbeck, not because they fought the Brits.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Not sure if this was done before, I did a search and found nothing.

No you didn't. Don't lie, it makes baby Jebus cry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76839054

Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pushtrak wrote: »

Did you know that some people get carried away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Strawberries aren't straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Cats don't have nine lives :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hanahuna

NEWS means north east west south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

It is entirely impossible for a women to touch both her elbows off each other in the vicinity of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

The i in iphone, ipad etc is from the latin word ignis, which means to steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Pushtrak wrote: »

Halfway through that list, and a fair amount of those are completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

shizz wrote: »
    It is entirely impossible for a women to touch both her elbows off each other in the vicinity of men.

Behind their back! Get it right man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Athletic Bilbao is the correct name for the Spanish football team, not Atletico Bilbao.

This is because the club was founded by English steelworkers living in Bilbao and young Basque men who had studied in England.

The reason they and Atletico Madrid (originally Athletic Club Madrid and founded around the same time) wear white and red striped jerseys is because a young student on holiday in England in 1909 was asked to buy 50 shirts for the club.
    He bought 50 shirts from the team nearest to where he was staying, Southampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why do people always have to try and be a-holes on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Why do people always have to try and be a-holes on here?

I recognise you, aren't you the shoulder everyone cries on over in PI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

that if you fart into your cupped hands and then inhale the contents deeply it will get rid of hiccups.

McCrack wrote: »
    I recognise you, aren't you the shoulder everyone cries on over in PI?

That's me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

That's me :)

I think you're a cool agony auntie and you're dead right, far too many A-holes around here.

We all need to be friends.

McCrack wrote: »
    We all need to be friends.

:p

Well, let's not push it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Did you know?
    The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine. —Abraham Lincoln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

eh no. The way I said squeezes them together. :D

Squeezy Boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

shizz wrote: »

eh no. The way I said squeezes them together. :D

Squeezy Boobs

Touché! :D though I do prefer the free stare as they concentrate on making connection behind their backs. Maybe that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Most women don't know which is further away -the sun or the moon.

• Advertisement

Most men don't know where the g-spot is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Sparklepants!

Did you know that Coca Cola experimented with new flavours of coke, and in 1986 introduced Cocoa Cola, a chocolate flavoured cola?
    That's not even a bit true but it sounds like something that could be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In Kerry for the Puc Fair they go up to the hills, capture a wild goat, bring him to town and then declare him king for the week

Some quare folk in the Kingdom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bananas and tomatos are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Domo230 wrote: »
    Did you know that in the 16th century, unmarried Cork women went around topless.

We must go back in time every Friday and Saturday night

• Advertisement
Advertisement