Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing rent owed

Options
  • 31-01-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

had to evict tenants due to non payment of rent.Over 5000 owed.
    Dont know where they are gone.P.R.T.B. have been notified.
    Any ideas what to do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What details have you got about them?

If you can't find them you will pretty much not get the money back. I think the PRTB can rule against them but then they have to be found.

Pursue it but don't hold out hope of getting it. Unfortunate but true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

vietnam5 wrote: »
    had to evict tenants due to non payment of rent.Over 5000 owed.
    Dont know where they are gone.P.R.T.B. have been notified.
    Any ideas what to do next.

How is there over 5000 owed? not being nosey but it seems you let it go for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

darokane wrote: »
    How is there over 5000 owed? not being nosey but it seems you let it go for a long time

Believe it or not you cant just go in with the boys and a set of baseball bats if somebody hasnt paid rent on time.

Theres an eviction process that has to be followed .....

D3PO wrote: »
    Believe it or not you cant just go in with the boys and a set of baseball bats if somebody hasnt paid rent on time.

Theres an eviction process that has to be followed .....

Yeah and 5000 is months and months worth of rent, if one month is missed then the eviction process can be started

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You probably should have informed the PRTB before you evicted them. Now that you have kicked them out they are unlikely to stay in contact. Speak to a solicitor if you have any details beyond first names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

darokane wrote: »
    Yeah and 5000 is months and months worth of rent, if one month is missed then the eviction process can be started

and your point is ? You have no idea what your on perhaps you should understand what happens if somebody refuses to move out of your property :rolleyes:

D3PO wrote: »
    and your point is ? You have no idea what your on perhaps you should understand what happens if somebody refuses to move out of your property :rolleyes:

My point is the eviction notice could have been sent many many months ago without lettin the rent owed escalate that much, I thought that was pretty obvious from my post.
    Where did the OP say the tenant refused to move out?
    Now perhaps you should think hard before your next answer!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

yes i know 5000 euro is a lot of rent to be owed but thats where we are now.
    P.R.T.B. was notified prior to and after eviction and everything was done by
    the book.Tenants went one day after eviction notice without telling me.They
    left no keys and utilities unpaid.Any ideas on how to track them down.Have there full names and social insurance numbers.They were not working at time
    of eviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

P.R.T.B. was notified prior to and after eviction and everything was done by
    the book.Tenants went one day after eviction notice without telling me.They
    left no keys and utilities unpaid.Any ideas on how to track them down.Have there full names and social insurance numbers.They were not working at time
    of eviction

not really worth going after them if they are not working. Save yourself the time, effort and cost. put it down as a learning experience.
    It could have been worse. They could have trashed the place as well.
    sort out the utility bills . back in your name until you gt a new tennant and change the locks.
    I know some tennants can be really bad.Had one recently told me he couldnt pay.lost his job and needed to sort out rent allowance.
    I said ill call to collect it on a certain day and if he didnt have it.id be giving him notice.
    I called and said Im looking for the rent. Cheeky fu*ker said. Come on in and we can all look for it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

Utilities are back in my name.Locks have been changed.I will chase them down
    till i find them and get whats owed. P.R.T.B. are on the case.Solicitor next.Its too small a country to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Utilities are back in my name.Locks have been changed.I will chase them down
    till i find them and get whats owed. P.R.T.B. are on the case.Solicitor next.Its too small a country to hide.
    Unfortunately, due to the Data protection Act as is in this country, very few people are able to legally give you the information you want.

Read this thread on the Legal Discussions board:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056503637

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They collect the dole in the office, yeah? Wait for them to collect it, and follow them at a distance in a mates car (if they know what your car looks like) to where they go. Once you know where they live, involve the Gardai in getting your money back (confronting them will just mean you may loose them).

Put it down to a lesson learned and move on, you're never going to get that money back.

the_syco wrote: »
    They collect the dole in the office, yeah? Wait for them to collect it, and follow them at a distance in a mates car (if they know what your car looks like) to where they go. Once you know where they live, involve the Gardai in getting your money back (confronting them will just mean you may loose them).

And if the property is in Dublin, which dole office would you watch? They may even have moved to another part of the country or emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They left no keys and utilities unpaid.Any ideas on how to track them down. Have there full names and social insurance numbers. They were not working at time of eviction

If they are on the dole, they will sign on at their local SW office, but they will pick up the money at their local post office. If you have their names, formers address, SPP numbers, ring the Dept of SW. Pretend to be them. Confirm the date and time of "your" next sign on day and where "you" currently pick up your dole. There you go. You now have two places where you know where they are going to be and when. Follow them home and you know where they live. Shady as $hit, but so is leaving you with a 5000 rent bill. :rolleyes:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If they are on the dole, they will sign on at their local SW office, but they will pick up the money at their local post office. If you have their names, formers address, SPP numbers, ring the Dept of SW. Pretend to be them. Confirm the date and time of "your" next sign on day and where "you" currently pick up your dole. There you go. You now have two places where you know where they are going to be and when. Follow them home and you know where they live. Shady as $hit, but so is leaving you with a 5000 rent bill. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: wow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

^^^ What they said. I'm surprised at the number of people advising a write off, ye must all be doing very well to be able to write off five grand without making any sort of effort to get it back.

My old man always found that a saloon full of large gentlemen was always a wonderful encouragement to people. They don't have to do anything bar get out of the car and look mean.

dahamsta wrote: »
    ^^^ What they said. I'm surprised at the number of people advising a write off, ye must all be doing very well to be able to write off five grand without making any sort of effort to get it back.

My old man always found that a saloon full of large gentlemen was always a wonderful encouragement to people. They don't have to do anything bar get out of the car and look mean.

If a car load of men called to my house the bat would come out and at least one of them wouldn't be leaving the same way they called
    What a ridiculous idea

If they are on the dole, they probably have no money and if brought to court, the judge is likely to make an order that they pay a pound or two a week until the debt is paid. Not to mention the cost of taking them to court in the first place. However, I am not sure that court proceedings can be instigated until the PRTB have given their final decision as this is a renting problem - rent arrears.

And people wonder why SW tenants are not accepted by may landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Advocating illegal behaviour is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not paying a debt is not acceptable. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

And hopefully the tennants are in no way related to the underworld. Or a few mean people might not just be looking back at you;).

Its a civil matter and could end up costing you more in solicitors fees ect. Put it down as a learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't have much experience in the area but I would say follow them up. 5000 is a huge amount to write off if they think they can get away with it they will do again.

As for people saying how did it build up to that I could easily see that happening. That could just be 4 months rent on a house in Dublin.
    1 month they miss, they give excuse you leave it go a bit second month they miss, you start proceedings, with our flawed systems in Ireland it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it took a few months for anything to happen if the tenant decides to just sit in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If they are social welfare tenants I don't see the point. As said above, all you will get is a agreement of a couple of Euros a week. No costs etc. And then they probably won't pay anyway, what are you going to do then? The sheriff won't have anything of value to take since odds are they are in shared accommodation and won't be able to pin anything on them. Quite a few landlords I know have tried once and never again. Now they wan't nothing to do with RA and social welfare tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

the_syco wrote: »
    The Gardai won't have anything to do with something like this.

Advertisement