Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you keep a gun??

• 01-02-2012 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Apparently there are 215,000 households in Ireland with a gun.

What do you think AH people. Would you keep one, do you keep one? Or do you think its a bad idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

That reminds me, must apply for the license

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

I didn't even know they were legal in Ireland. No don't really see the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

If I had the money I probably would, been a few robberies around me lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pew Pew!:P

If I had one it would probably be loaded all the time...I'm not answering :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

my gun is my penis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Until I used to to commit a crime.

Then I wouldn't keep it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

yes i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Guns are only dangerous when their in the wrong hands imo.

Live on a housing estate in Dublin (any large town or city)? Don't see the need to be keeping a gun tbh, recipe for disaste.

But on a farm/countryside etc, vermin to deal with, our even for sporting activities (yes I know, highly debatable) where circumstances might dictate that you actually need a gun, so long a its stored safely, and used responsibly, there shouldn't really be a problem.

But like everything else in life, one tit can always fcuk things up for the responsible members of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Incidentally the same reasoning can be applied to a bedpan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Nal wrote: »
    my gun is my penis.

Keep your hands where I can see 'em.

• Advertisement

focus_mad wrote: »
    If I had the money I probably would, been a few robberies around me lately.

Yeah, why should they have all the fun? Get a gun and rob a few cribs yourself!

• Nal wrote: »
    my gun is my penis.

Useless burgarler i have a big knife and u have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Bonesy. wrote: »
    I didn't even know they were legal in Ireland. No don't really see the point.

lol. so, no guns in Ireland at all?! surely you have heard of people hunting?!

yes I would keep a gun, but I'd want a handgun, so that'll never happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Super Soaker 3000 FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No. The amount of times I alone might have resorted to drawing one in an uncharacteristic, fleeting moment of fury, if handy..

- just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Country people have guns in their houses for years.

I remember the ritual that was the gun cleaning. The smell of it :D. Pulling that rag up through the barrel, it was like a ritual.

There was a huge respect, rightly so, for it, the cartridges and the thing was looked after like it was a fecking God. Polished to the last.

These fellas would be bollox deep chasing something to kill for the dinner while yee'd be standing in front of a mirror practising yer best Clint Eastwood pose!

Guns, safe enough with Playstations most of yee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

215,000 how many households are in Ireland, the figure seems high. It would suggest I know at least know someone with a gun and I don't.

No I wouldn't keep a gun, I would want to play with it and I know I would do something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Irish law states that guns cannot be legally kept for self defense.
    You have to have a valid reason for ownership before an application will be considered.

The word valid here means within the bounds of the law and the understanding of the local superintendent.

themadchef wrote: »
    These fellas would be bollox deep chasing something to kill for the dinner while yee'd be standing in front of a mirror practising yer best Clint Eastwood pose!

Not if you're Padraig Nally, they just come to you in that case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Useless burgarler i have a big knife and u have ?

a 12 inch recipe of disaster, prepare to be bummed silly

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    215,000 how many households are in Ireland, the figure seems high. It would suggest I know at least know someone with a gun and I don't.

No I wouldn't keep a gun, I would want to play with it and I know I would do something stupid.
    Most are farmers! Lot of farmers here..

Anyway, it's cleaner than a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes and I do, legally so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Id love an AK.. I'd setle with a rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I couldn't imagine life without my guns. Really hand for pest control around the farm and a bit of impromptu target shooting(sshh don't tell anyone)
    Only problem is laws restrict the number I can own. Really would love a big game rifle, like a .375 or .410Nitro. The annual migration is here, some serious herds of elephants and hippos walking the roads since the turn of the year.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I have a Trent .357

Pew Pew Pew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ghandee wrote: »
    Guns are only dangerous when their in the wrong hands imo.

This is the device invented for putting holes in people, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That figure is for the number of firearms in Ireland, a lot of shooters myself included would have 2 or more so there aren't actually that many households with them.

Kold wrote: »
    This is the device invented for putting holes in people, yes?

Not all of them!

Some of them are designed for destroying whole parts of the person too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

RichieC wrote: »
    Id love an AK.. I'd setle with a rifle.
    AK looks real cool and sexy but is is a horrible rattletrap to shoot...Now M16 is a real sweet shooter.Anyhow you have to go overseas to experience those legaly..you get some look from the auld Guard at the desk if you ask about a licence for one here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Sure would and sure do.

You never know when it might come in useful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not quite like America, ownership here is different, you need to have a valid reason for owning one, self or home defense is not considered a valid reason.

That said though, there's a decent range of semi-auto weapons available legally in Ireland, it's not just limited to conventional hunting rifles etc. As long as it's within a certain calibre (I forget which). There are plenty of handguns within legal limits too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd like to try out a handgun.

No interest in rifles or shotguns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's not quite like America, ownership here is different, you need to have a valid reason for owning one, self or home defense is not considered a valid reason.

That said though, there's a decent range of semi-auto weapons available legally in Ireland, it's not just limited to conventional hunting rifles etc. As long as it's within a certain calibre (I forget which). There are plenty of handguns within legal limits too.

Any semi auto centrefire rifle is restricted, you can licence them, you just need a good reason and only .22 pistols can be licenced now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Where's the poll OP?

Thanks for the info, to be honest most of it's beyond me.

I would say to anyone, interested in firearms but not in the acceptable legal sense here, have a look at airsoft. Not so much with the electric guns, but some of the Gas, and particularly Co2 powered guns, are similar enough to firing real weapons without the associated danger.

I have several Co2 powered guns, and they're great fun, fairly powerful for just breaking glass bottles and the like, but otherwise, fairly safe. To be honest, I wouldn't feel comfortable with an actual firearm in the house.

Example here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Guns aren't dangerous, just ask the Swiss. There are thousands of people the world over who enjoy hitting bits of paper, just like some people enjoy ruining a good walk. Or beating the crap out of each other on a GAA field, where even the "fans" can have a go!

It's like everything thing in this country, some people can't control themselves so everyone suffers.

But as Joe sets our laws we will always be treated like children, it's never MY fault, somone else is to blame.

Yes I'd like a gun, but I refuse to go through the crap that our leaders put in place to legally hold one. Or the fact that the Gardai may have been breaking the law when rejecting firearms licences.

The idiotic thing is that I could, as could most of the population, get one illegally with zero training and go out and massacre half of Dublin. The only people who would be penalised would be the people with legal firearms, as the country is awash with illegal ones. And if you think that removing all the legally held guns will stop gun crime, please wake up. It didn't work the last time they tried it, again legally questionable, and theres no chance it'd work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I would like a gun. Maybe two.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's like everything thing in this country, some people can't control themselves so everyone suffers.

Oh yeah?
    The idiotic thing is that I could, as could most of the population, get one illegally with zero training and go out and massacre half of Dublin. The only people who would be penalised would be the people with legal firearms

I find your ideas interesting and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

often seems to me city folk w/ guns can only be dangerous psychopaths, and country folk farmers

may have something to do with too many people in contrast to too few people? After all yer not gonna shoot a person if there's only sheep n cows in your face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Girlfriends father has few guns, one in the kitchen one under the bed etc. He apparently got a fox at the old chickens through a bedroom window one night.

Occasionally after a night on the lash and staying at their house I might tear to the jacks that's outside across the yard, ye should see me scamper.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Guns are for pussies.

Real men hunt with bazookas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

"The back up is not intended for use in homes with children" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I tried but it was a waste of time:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yep, would love a gun, have no problem with them whatsoever as long as they are handled responsibly, with the new methods being used by people breaking into your house (i.e more of a danger to yours and your families safety) I would like to know I can stop a guy dead in his tracks if needs be.

As the value of human life decreases daily in society I want to be prepared if anyone ever tries to hurt my family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

i have 4

Guns are for pussies.

It's a well known fact that the American Bazooka was a poor performer in relation to the German Panzerschrek ( a reverse engineered enlarged calibre clone). Yet Bazooka is still know as the common casual blanket term for any portable missile....dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yes and I do. I have no problem with them.

It's only a weapon when used as one.

It is a very enjoyable past-time that gets me outdoors a lot. In my case it makes me appreciate the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Can you imagine if a new law came in were the average person could legally own a gun for protection (aka, like the yanks) ??? :pac:

... there be shootings every where and over nothing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It's a well known fact that the American Bazooka was a poor performer in relation to the German Panzerschreck ( a reverse engineered enlarged calibre clone). Yet Bazooka is still know as the common casual blanket term for any portable missile....dreadful.

FYP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement