Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding the newborn calf..

• 01-02-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭

well guys,

i was wondering as i was feeding a calf (day old) earlier on... what is the best/natural position for a calf's head to be in when they are drinking milk....?

i noticed his head was lifted up or his head was level... he would suck like mad.... but was less inclined to suck when his head was pointing down towards the ground.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

well it needs a 20 minute suck within the first 3 hours or 3 litres of milk within in the first 3 hours. it makes sense that when the calves head is raised he will take in more milk as it facilitates milk to go down his throat easier as compared to when his head is tilted down it makes it harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Heads up deaths down. That's the motto we were told in ag college.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

What is it with a lot of calf rearing press you read now, that most seem to be stomach tubing the calves for the first round of milk, i've never heard of many doing this locally to me, is it just for speed in bigger herds rather that spending time waiting for them to start sucking or what? i know the importance of getting the colostrum in within the first 2-3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

We've alway gone with having the ccalf's head up, its the natural position.

On a side note we would have always had an old small plastic dosing bottle for giving the colostrum if a calf was slow to get going, however our one is leaking now and they don't seem to be available in any of the shops now.
    All the have is this one which is much good if the calf won't suck or a stomach tude which I wouldn't know how to use. anybody have any alternatives?
    speedy%20feeder.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Dozer1 wrote: »

On a side note we would have always had an old small plastic dosing bottle for giving the colostrum if a calf was slow to get going, however our one is leaking now and they don't seem to be available in any of the shops now.
    All the have is this one which is much good if the calf won't suck or a stomach tude which I wouldn't know how to use. anybody have any alternatives?
    speedy%20feeder.jpg.jpg
    You can get a different stomach tube top for them for about a tenner. Have one this 2 year find it much better than the old type ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Dozer1 wrote: »

speedy%20feeder.jpg.jpg

I tried one of them bottles and could not get the calf to suck the teat.
    no problem when i shifted back to the larger white teat

Advertisement