Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Tralee Student's Union playing at?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Today the Student Union sent out a mail informing students that they're rewriting the Union's constitution

""**Constitution** Over the next few weeks ITTSU will re-write it's new constitution to be voted upon by the class representatives. If you have any suggestions please inform your class rep'.""

According to the existing constitution, the union absolutely cannot push through a new constitution or any changes to the existing one, with a vote at class reps council. They must hold a referendum which every student in the college can vote on. 15% of their members must vote in order for the referendum to be valid and the changes must be supported by a two-thirds majority. The CR Council represents less than 1% of the students of the college so this would not be a valid referendum.

The full constitution is available here. http://www.ittraleesu.ie/?page_id=4

Just couple of weeks ago the Tralee SU supported a new USI constitution which gave Union Reps a pay increase and longer terms. Only a tiny number of students in IT Tralee were made aware of this or asked to vote on it.

In fact the only college in the country that appeared to keep their members well informed on the new USI constitution was IADT, and its not a coincidence that they were also the only college to vote against it

Lastly, while we're on the subject of the constitution, the Tralee SU did not hold a UGM last semester. This is the one and only platform where any and all students can have a say in union affairs. They've held only one UGM in the last five semesters.

Mike Thompson promised radical reforms this year but the union is even worse than before. Still a glorified entertainment office. It doesn't resemble a union at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

2.2. REFERENDUM
    2.2.1. The articles of this constitution can only be amended by referendum.
    2.2.2. A referendum may be called on any issue by:
    • General Meeting or
    • Union Council or
    • 300 Union Members or
    • Union Executive
    2.2.3. All referendum are to be decided by two-thirds majority.
    2.2.4. A quorum of 15% of the Union membership is required to validate a Referendum.
    2.2.5. Referendum shall be binding on all Union Bodies, including the General meeting.
    2.2.6. Referendum shall be held within two academic term weeks after it has been called.
    2.2.7. All motions must be posted on the main Union Notice Board at least 5 college days before the referendum for constitutional amendments, that original text and the proposed amendment must be posted on the main Union Notice Board at least 5 college days before the referendum

Someone must have raised the point with the SU as I just got a new email:

Hello all,

There seems to be a bit of confusion among a small number of students regarding the new S.U constitution. As always, the new constitution can only be brought in if passed by referendum. To change the constitution, we must draft up a new one to be voted upon. This will be devised by the S.U team and Class Rep' Council. After that, each student in the college will be able to vote in favour or against the new constitution. That's it, in it's simplest form :)

--
    Michael Thompson
    President
    I.T.Tralee Students' Union

I suppose suggestions can be made to class reps and as above they'll have to publish the proposed amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

I actually raised it with them but got the usual non response. It wasn't until a few other students complained that they did a u-turn. What he said yesterday was very unambiguous, so any "confusion" was only on the part of the union, not the students that actually corrected him.

".....new constitution to be voted upon by the class representatives....."

The problem with being forced to put motions through the class reps is you're relying on your class rep to do his/her job. A lot of them don't and a large percentage don't even show up to CR council.
    They should hold a UGM to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    They should hold a UGM to deal with this.

That is probably the proper way to do it. What exactly are the problems that they see with the current constitution I wonder? Surely the best way to proceed would be to outline and publish any changes they feel need to be made, hold a UGM where people may discuss these issues and/or suggest alternatives, decide after the UGM what actual changes to propose, and then hold a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

Opinicus wrote: »
    That is probably the proper way to do it. What exactly are the problems that they see with the current constitution I wonder? Surely the best way to proceed would be to outline and publish any changes they feel need to be made, hold a UGM where people may discuss these issues and/or suggest alternatives, decide after the UGM what actual changes to propose, and then hold a referendum.

I don't think its an intiiative they took upon themselves, but most likely took it under advice from elsewhere in the USI. The reason I think that is because there are number of colleges that announced re-writes to constitutions this week.

Some colleges are moving towards disaffiliation from the USI and while I don't agree with that, my fear is that something may be written into the Tralee constitution that would give the USI greater powers in Tralee.

Advertisement