Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for 600 points?

• 01-02-2012 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in sixth year and ive missed about 120 days last year, and about 70 so far this year. I rarely study at home, but i find each subject to be really simple, and the parts i do study, i can do them easily, and with little study. I always get the highest marks in my honours maths class, and most classes. With about 4 hours study per day from now until the leaving cert, do you think it will be possible for me to get 625 points? And if not, then how many points do you think i could possibly get? My top six subjects are maths, english, accounting, physics, biology and applied maths. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,627 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,

I'm in sixth year and ive missed about 120 days last year, and about 70 so far this year. I rarely study at home, but i find each subject to be really simple, and the parts i do study, i can do them easily, and with little study. I always get the highest marks in my honours maths class, and most classes. With about 4 hours study per day from now until the leaving cert, do you think it will be possible for me to get 625 points? And if not, then how many points do you think i could possibly get? My top six subjects are maths, english, accounting, physics, biology and applied maths. Thanks
    How many points you could possibly get? 600 + or whatever the max is. Put the head down from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Once you're studying the right stuff, I don't see why not!
    If you're naturally good with numbers etc I wish you the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

From the sound of things, 600 points or no 600 points, you're going places in life! Might I suggest you learn how to count cards and then take me with you to Vegas? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you've missed that many days it's likely you've missed a lot of material in every subject - have you been catching up? You have 4 months, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do very well in June, but make sure you've covered everything, it's no use knowing half the course by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

finality wrote: »
    If you've missed that many days it's likely you've missed a lot of material in every subject - have you been catching up? You have 4 months, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do very well in June, but make sure you've covered everything, it's no use knowing half the course by heart.

No, i haven't been catching up really, i'd say i've done about 20 hours study so far since 5th year. How much study per day would you suggest?

Thanks to everyone who replied! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

...i'd say i've done about 20 hours study so far since 5th year.

... I want your brain. Now.

I do around 4 hours from Monday - Saturday (which includes homework) and a bit on Sunday. It takes me forever to get some proper study started and to get a chapter/topic studied and I still need to get more stuff done for my mocks next week! Study hours vary from person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

For whatever reason you may have been missing school is not my business. However, if you purposely skipped school up to now, regardless of how many points you'll get, you're getting bad habits and you could end up skipping college lectures, work, etc simply because you're used to it. I'm just giving you some helpful advice, if you can, try not to miss any more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Missing that many days, it would seem unlikely to just be bunking, but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, put in the work and you could get 600 points. Some people assimilate material like a sponge (I'm not one of those people unfortunately) and can condense 2 years worth of material into 4 months of study. Sounds like you could be one of those people. It's certainly worth giving it a try, don't you think?

Missing that many days, it would seem unlikely to just be bunking, but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, put in the work and you could get 600 points. Some people assimilate material like a sponge (I'm not one of those people unfortunately) and can condense 2 years worth of material into 4 months of study. Sounds like you could be one of those people. It's certainly worth giving it a try, don't you think?

I actually don't assimilate material like a sponge, its just, there's so little material in the subjects I do, besides Biology. Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

How do you do on the non sciences out of curiosity? Language and so forth. Things like English has a lot less to do with fact than maths. For example remembering the method for finding x and y is one thing but interpreting a poem or writing a composition is another.

To answer your OP it certainly is possible. My first year in college I had eight per cent attendance. I went into my various exams with no notes, no knowledge, no Christmas exam credits and not a scrap of practical time logged. I wrote two or three lines in each and needless to say I failed every one of them. For the two months or so I had leading up to the repeats I devoured the course work, past papers etc and passed every single one. I studied first year Java the day before the exam. In fact I could have been working full time instead of skipping lectures and still passed the repeats.

• Advertisement

MyKeyG wrote: »
    How do you do on the non sciences out of curiosity? Language and so forth. Things like English has a lot less to do with fact than maths. For example remembering the method for finding x and y is one thing but interpreting a poem or writing a composition is another.

To answer your OP it certainly is possible. My first year in college I had eight per cent attendance. I went into my various exams with no notes, no knowledge, no Christmas exam credits and not a scrap of practical time logged. I wrote two or three lines in each and needless to say I failed every one of them. For the two months or so I had leading up to the repeats I devoured the course work, past papers etc and passed every single one. I studied first year Java the day before the exam. In fact I could have been working full time instead of skipping lectures and still passed the repeats.
    Did you do well in your exams after the study? And at the non-science subjects, well actually, just the languages, I'm not good at. I have a very bad memory, and I hate languages, and remembering quotes. I also hate the style and layout of the English course/exam.

I did my leaving cert 10 years ago, holy shíte, and I've a brother doing it this year. If everything you said in your post is the truth then with 4 hours study Monday to Friday and 3 hours on Sundays you should ace it. If I can offer you advice as the auld man that I am I would say apply yourself and stick to your study intentions from now until June, and actually beyond your leaving cert through life! By the sound of it you could be a real life version of Matt Damon's character from 'Good Will Hunting':D If you haven't seen that film you should definitely watch it during a study break sometime. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Yeah passed em all. The repeats were capped at a passing grade so I don't know what grade I would have got under normal examination circumstances.

The one thing you need to be mindful of regarding the so-called arts modules (English, French, Sociology etc) is that they're open to interpretation more than the sciences. One plus one equals two no matter who's doing it but how you interpret a poem, piece or prose or a social system and how express that interpretation goes down to practice. Some people have it naturally but the reality is it can't be crammed.

Now if you have six factual subjects lined up such as Maths, Biology, Geography, history etc then it usually doesn't matter how you got on at English and Irish so long as you pass them. Some courses require a minimum grade in a particular subject but that subject is usually maths.

I'd just say get your arse in gear, do as much as you can between now and the exams and the worst you're going to do is your very best.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Yeah passed em all. The repeats were capped at a passing grade so I don't know what grade I would have got under normal examination circumstances.

The one thing you need to be mindful of regarding the so-called arts modules (English, French, Sociology etc) is that they're open to interpretation more than the sciences. One plus one equals two no matter who's doing it but how you interpret a poem, piece or prose or a social system and how express that interpretation goes down to practice. Some people have it naturally but the reality is it can't be crammed.

Now if you have six factual subjects lined up such as Maths, Biology, Geography, history etc then it usually doesn't matter how you got on at English and Irish so long as you pass them. Some courses require a minimum grade in a particular subject but that subject is usually maths.

I'd just say get your arse in gear, do as much as you can between now and the exams and the worst you're going to do is your very best.
    Yeah, the reason I like the factual subjects is because you know what they're asking, but for the other one's there is a infinite range of possible answers, and I never really know what they want to hear. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

stankratz wrote: »
    I did my leaving cert 10 years ago, holy shíte, and I've a brother doing it this year. If everything you said in your post is the truth then with 4 hours study Monday to Friday and 3 hours on Sundays you should ace it. If I can offer you advice as the auld man that I am I would say apply yourself and stick to your study intentions from now until June, and actually beyond your leaving cert through life! By the sound of it you could be a real life version of Matt Damon's character from 'Good Will Hunting':D If you haven't seen that film you should definitely watch it during a study break sometime. Best of luck!
    Jesus, that is so freaky, I watched that movie yesterday! ...weird... Anyway i thought it was brilliant. I wish i was one tenth as smart as him, i doubt anyone even is.

Thanks for the advice, seems do-able!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Just with regards to the extra 25 points for maths. 600 is the cap, they aren't added if you get A1s in all subjects.

Also i agree with you in regards to factual subjects. LC Higher level maths seems to be easy enough from what i've done so far (5th year currently). I do applied maths too which is a great bridge between maths and physics (Which i also do). Sounds like it would have been a good subject for you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Just with regards to the extra 25 points for maths. 600 is the cap, they aren't added if you get A1s in all subjects.

Also i agree with you in regards to factual subjects. LC Higher level maths seems to be easy enough from what i've done so far (5th year currently). I do applied maths too which is a great bridge between maths and physics (Which i also do). Sounds like it would have been a good subject for you too.

nope, you can get 625 now :)

Are you sure that its 600 max? Because thats annoying, whats the point of adding the points if it doesnt increase the maximum? And yeah, i do all the subjects you do, so your in for an easy year next year...

finality wrote: »
    nope, you can get 625 now :)
    I thought so! NICE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

What ever about missing class during the last year . If you start applying yourself now and get on with it u will have at least a fighting chance . 600 points -- some may have spent all year in class and done regular study and won't get that number of points .. If you get working now and get some stuctured approach you can be then happy with your efforts , regardless of what points u get . If ye have Eircom broadband there is the study hub service they have . Also stop been distracted I.e. on forums such as this asking will I get 600 points!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement