Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very low numbers in course...

Options
  • 01-02-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just started my second semester in a part time course and we are currently averaging 3 - 6 people in each module. I have to come back next year and complete 6 modules, any idea what happens if very few or no new people sign up for the course???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

My group is having the same thing but on full time. Six yesterday. Five today, two of which were late. There are four groups though so we should get at least one full class next semester, maybe two.

I dont know for sure, but I reckon if they get even a few people they'll keep the course going until those currently on it are finished. Might not start any new one's unless their is a sudden demand for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Duk wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just started my second semester in a part time course and we are currently averaging 3 - 6 people in each module. I have to come back next year and complete 6 modules, any idea what happens if very few or no new people sign up for the course???

Thanks in advance.

My mate was only telling me how today 4 people done 4th Year in Computer Science in DIT and it's still going, depends on your course whether their is a high drop out rate aka Computing, Engineering and Science.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    My group is having the same thing but on full time. Six yesterday. Five today, two of which were late. There are four groups though so we should get at least one full class next semester, maybe two.

Are you 1st Year?

Are you 1st Year?
    Yep. Five again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Yep. Five again today.

Usually they tend to split the classes for 1st year, then with the amount of dropouts they combine them. That's how it works for Computing, we were split into 2 groups of 50 in 1st year, basically combined in 2nd year for some classes and same again for 3rd year (only about 35ish left).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

My issue is at last count their will be only 4 returning next year to finish the course (we only had 1 new person join the course this semester).

I'm 1 of only 4 (there was 8 at the start) that started in September and stuck it out.

If we don't get more numbers next september I'm guessing they'll either plug ahead and cancel the course after that or lump us in with another management course with similar modules?

There are plus sides to small classes don't get me wrong, you get to ask alot of questions :) It's just not a good feeling that it seems no one is interested in the course :(

• Advertisement

Usually they tend to split the classes for 1st year, then with the amount of dropouts they combine them. That's how it works for Computing, we were split into 2 groups of 50 in 1st year, basically combined in 2nd year for some classes and same again for 3rd year (only about 35ish left).
    There are four groups of 16. They are then pushed together to make two classes of 32. From my group of 16, the highest we've had this week was 7 on Monday (I think it was 5 today). The other group is about the same, a little higher but no more than 10 by my count. Basically, only half the class have been bothered to show up this semester.

As far as I know, the other groups are more or less the same. I'm expecting one class with only two groups next year unless a lot of new people join from somewhere else.

Advertisement