Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    Trek is riddled in things that just don't make sense. For instance, I was watching TNG "The Next Phase" last night & thought to myself, ok Geordi & Ro can pass through walls, bulkheads, & basically all matter. Why don't they fall through the floors? :D

I'll need to re-watch the episode for a scientific answer :rolleyes:

But before I skip a few seasons of good viewing, I look at all these types of walk through wall tech as forward motion required for the ability to pass through an object with the possibility of the item only able to allow this when angled/set in the direction the user needs to go, like a fail safe to prevent falling down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I know its been brought up many times before, but the starship battles in DS9 at point blank range. Granted the battles wouldn't look as Shiny at 10000km but I would've still watched.Also, why not try to go around the Dominion Fleet in Sacrifice of Angels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I know its been brought up many times before, but the starship battles in DS9 at point blank range. Granted the battles wouldn't look as Shiny at 10000km but I would've still watched.Also, why not try to go around the Dominion Fleet in Sacrifice of Angels.

Also, what happened to shields in DS9?

I know it was mentioned that Federation shields were ineffective against Dominion weaponry, but i can't ever really remember a ship having a shield bubble. Any ships destroyed in any of the large fleet battles went down in like 2 hits. Not complaining, as it looked awesome, but was something i'd always wondered.

I always liked bubble shields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kiith wrote: »

I know it was mentioned that Federation shields were ineffective against Dominion weaponry, but i can't ever really remember a ship having a shield bubble. Any ships destroyed in any of the large fleet battles went down in like 2 hits. Not complaining, as it looked awesome, but was something i'd always wondered.

Did they not pull the shields closer, to the hull, to make them more efficient?
    Meant that they did not have to project a huge bubble (also I think that it was cheaper to not have to show a bubble)

Yeah, and look how that turned out :P

USS_Sitak_and_USS_Majestic_hit.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great shot for the z-axis naysayers

Miranda class ships, in all fairness.
    Power of the phasers just punched straight through.

Seriously though I think it was a budgetary thing, big space battels with shield bubble physics on every ship was cost prohibitive AFAIR

Miranda class ships, in all fairness.
    Power of the phasers just punched straight through.

Seriously though I think it was a budgetary thing, big space battels with shield bubble physics on every ship was cost prohibitive AFAIR

Although I too love the shield bubble effect, it's only nice when its one on one etc. It could possibly have looked crap from a fleet battle perspective.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I would've preferred smaller fleets hammering at each other like battleships. It felt more like fighter battles ala Freespace than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It's not just the Federation ships, when the Cardassian fleet switches sides they destroy a Breen capital ship that's attacking the Defiant with one shot.

When the Klingons attack DS9 there are multiple klingon ships destroyed in one shot, again no shields.

It has to have been done on purpose because fleet battles with ships staying intact for long periods wouldn't have worked on a short tv episode, the episode "The Jem'Hadar" is the one where the USS Odyssey is attacked and the Captain tells Dax that the weapons are bypassing the ships shields.

• Advertisement

I would've preferred smaller fleets hammering at each other like battleships. It felt more like fighter battles ala Freespace than anything else.

In fairness, we were looking at the battles from the Defiant's point of view.
    It was a fast attack ship, not much bigger than the specalised fighters, so we were always going to have a manic view of the battles. I doubt that we would have had that experience viewing from a capital ship, such as Enterprise

In fairness, we were looking at the battles from the Defiant's point of view.
    It was a fast attack ship, not much bigger than the specalised fighters, so we were always going to have a manic view of the battles. I doubt that we would have had that experience viewing from a capital ship, such as Enterprise

Thats a good point, watching from the bridge of the Defiant as it took on three or four Jem Hadar ships & annihilate them all by weaving around etc was a thing of ultimate beauty. Capital ships like the Enterprise etc can't do that, & rely on brute power & strong shielding, thus staying a lot more still

Thats a good point, watching from the bridge of the Defiant as it took on three or four Jem Hadar ships & annihilate them all by weaving around etc was a thing of ultimate beauty. Capital ships like the Enterprise etc can't do that, & rely on brute power & strong shielding, thus staying a lot more still

Exactly.
    Look at First Contact:
    The Defiant was darting about like a wasp Vs the Cube
    The Enterprise and the larger ships finally looked like smaller fighter ships when up against the cube also but looked frikken HUGE when it had a fly past, of the Defiant

DS9 - Q Less

When the runabout docks at the station, & Dax is trapped inside with all the oxygen running out, they're trying their best to open the docking bay door of the runabout. Kira wants to phaser her way through, O'Brien is faffing about with technobabble, & takes him some time to open the doors.

Anyone ever hear of a transporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

DS9 - Q Less

When the runabout docks at the station, & Dax is trapped inside with all the oxygen running out, they're trying their best to open the docking bay door of the runabout. Kira wants to phaser her way through, O'Brien is faffing about with technobabble, & takes him some time to open the doors.

Anyone ever hear of a transporter?

I noticed that myself, Sisko didn't call Ops. He summoned Bashir and O'Brien, and Kira was with him at the shuttle.

The usual excuse for a system not working in Season 1 DS9 was that O'Brien was overworked, or they didn't have the components they needed or that joining Federation and Cardassian equipment was really difficult. They didn't say that on-screen, not the first omission I've seen on early DS9.

Agreed re O'Brien lol, but as the great man once said himself..."This station needs me."

There was no attempt made at transporting Dax out, nor any mention made of the transporter at all :confused:

Agreed re O'Brien lol, but as the great man once said himself..."This station needs me."

There was no attempt made at transporting Dax out, nor any mention made of the transporter at all :confused:

Either the writers didn't catch that mistake or they were trying to create some drama. It's a difficult one to call.

Either the writers didn't catch that mistake or they were trying to create some drama. It's a difficult one to call.

Definitely an error. To nullify the transporters, all they had to do was have the docking take place at a time the transporters were down for repair or something. At least acknowledge their existence in some way, & then there would be no issue.

I'm also pretty sure I seen the shadows of crew moving along the walls during the scene when Q was sitting on Vash's bed talking to her. But thats a different form of geekyness to talk about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Just cut to O'Brien saying "BOLLOX!!!". Problem solved.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Just cut to O'Brien saying "BOLLOX!!!". Problem solved.

Better yet, cut to O'Brien kicking a transporter console :D

• Advertisement

Why does the Grand Nagus, the leader of a civilisation & a vast commercial empire...travel around in a shuttle pod? Surely, given some of the 'deals' the Ferengi have pulled off, he'd be a massive & easy target for any disgruntled customers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

So many F**kups.

How can you fire a weapon at warp 9.

Why would you let wesley go if he was a Q.

Why are phasers such bad shots, if you have a handheld laser weapon surely it would have an auto target feature on it.

How did they escape from the planet with the smart weapons?

So many F**kups.

How can you fire a weapon at warp 9.

I take it you mean Photon torpedoes? Relativity my good friend ;)
    Why would you let wesley go if he was a Q.

Wesley was a Q? Don't you mean he had certain abilities that the Traveller nurtured in him? I don't think he was anywhere near omnipotent like Q
    Why are phasers such bad shots, if you have a handheld laser weapon surely it would have an auto target feature on it.

They wouldn't be much use in a hostage situation then would they?
    How did they escape from the planet with the smart weapons?

The Arsenal Of Freedom? Didn't Data jump down into the cave where Crusher fell into & disabled the weapons or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I take it you mean Photon torpedoes? Relativity my good friend ;)

If you were travelling max warp then the photons exiting the ship wouldn't be able to go faster.

Wesley was a Q? Don't you mean he had certain abilities that the Traveller nurtured in him? I don't think he was anywhere near omnipotent like Q
    pretty sure wes was a Q

They wouldn't be much use in a hostage situation then would they?
    Well it would. It should be a smart weapon, and be able to recognise friend and disable foe

The Arsenal Of Freedom? Didn't Data jump down into the cave where Crusher fell into & disabled the weapons or something.

something stupid anyway, they had to end the episode

can't believe I am posting back :o

We've seen that torpedo's can travel at warp on occasions, so maybe they just went faster. But did we ever actually see a ship fire at maximum warp? What about a Warp 10 torpedo...which exists everywhere simultaneously. The ultimate weapon that destroy the entire universe :pac:

And Wesley wasn't a Q. Had some abilities like The Traveler, but as EnterNow said, not even close to the Q. Could you imagine that whinging bitch as an omnipotent being? Ugh!

If you were travelling max warp then the photons exiting the ship wouldn't be able to go faster.

Relativity states that if your travelling near the speed of light, & shine a beam of light forwards, that beam of light will travel away from you at the speed of light relative to you.
    pretty sure wes was a Q

Nope, def not.
    Well it would. It should be a smart weapon, and be able to recognise friend and disable foe

How would it know? It's possible for the good guys to do bad things too. How is the weapon meant to understand the context of a situation?
    something stupid anyway, they had to end the episode

can't believe I am posting back :o

Yeah, wasn't a fan of that ep really.
    We've seen that torpedo's can travel at warp on occasions, so maybe they just went faster. But did we ever actually see a ship fire at maximum warp?

Why would it matter what warp velocity a weapon was fired at? Warp 1 is light speed, anything after that would have the same effect

I was thinking more that the torpedo was travelling at it's own defined warp speed, it could just go slightly faster then the target it was trying to hit. Unless it was at max warp, which you are not supposed to be able to go past.

Hadn't taken relativity into account...duh! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was thinking more that the torpedo was travelling at it's own defined warp speed, it could just go slightly faster then the target it was trying to hit. Unless it was at max warp, which you are not supposed to be able to go past.

Hadn't taken relativity into account...duh! :pac:

Doesn't the Picard manoeuvre exploit this very issue?

ST4 - The Voyage Home

Why compute a time destination, to a place where the timeline is extremely vulnerable to disruption. The huge task of finding two whales undetected, given the advancements of the time. Ect Ect

Why not just drop back to 100k bc & nab two whales?

Sure, the former makes a better film...but still :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why does none of the shit ever go down on the night shift?

why is it that the CO, XO, CE and 2nd and 3rd officers all work on the same shift always? Surely it's worth having at least one high ranking officer on one of the two other shifts?

I'd also love to see the design thinking behind DS9, cos I always though that it's a crazily badly layed out place.

Advertisement