Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smartphone for heavy typing usage?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I'm searching for a new Smartphone, as I can no longer handle the messy on-screen keyboards on most phones. I've had samsung galaxy (terrible), HTC desire hd (better), but still not good enough for emailing and note taking purposes on the go.

A friend recommended the Blackberry Torch - the 9810 with the pop-out hard QWERTY keyboard, as opposed to the 9860 with the onscreen keyboard. He had the 9800, but describes it as "steam-driven" with "daily crashes", but suggested that the 9810 with the new OS7 may improve on this.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's hard to say what would suit you best. Maybe just pop into town and try a few in a phone shop?

I use a iphone with vlingo (speech recognition) so actually speak most of my texts. I assume similar apps are available for other smartphones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Imported Samsung Galaxy Note?

I use Swype (drag typing) on the S2 and it's a god send - never touch type now. The note has the added plus of the stylus

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

Have you tried any of the other keyboards on the market. I have an sgs II and the keyboard is brutal but I use SwiftKey now and it's alot better better than the desire hd that I used to have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Samsung makes the worst keyboards.

Personally i find the stock Android Keyboard the best or HTC keyboard is pretty good too.

On the marketplace you could search ice cream sandwhich keyboard and try that first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I currently have a (er, well used) Nokia N97 Mini, but I've been eyeing up the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro. The mini version looks well nice, if they've ironed out some sound issues the earlier batches had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The Blackberry 9900 bold has the nicest keyboard I've ever held. It also has touchscreen. Very decent phone on OS7 although I prefer android myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

iOS and WP7 have great on screen keyboards, but you might be better off getting a phone with physical QWERTY. BlackBerry make good keyboards, but i hate the OS, or you could try a HTC model.

I have problems at all taking notes on either my old iPhone or my HTC Trophy. The onscreen keyboards are accurate and quick. I have had issues with they keyboards built into Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Would you consider the Desire Z (if you can get hold of one):

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-desire-z/

I'm quite happy with mine. I generally use the onscreen keyboard for texts, but if I want to write much more than that, I flip out the qwerty keyboard and off I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Maybe you could define what problem you are having. As most people don't have a problem with typing on a smart phone. Which phones did you like in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

A Samsung Galaxy Note. Surely you'll be able to type on a 5.3 inch screen and be satisfied? You can get one from Expansys.ie for about €600. A great phone if you're a very business type of person and need to be up to date on everything. It's very elegant looking too. All your colleagues will be envious of you and your new phone. Anyway, just a suggestion. Hope this helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

BostonB wrote: »
    Maybe you could define what problem you are having. As most people don't have a problem with typing on a smart phone. Which phones did you like in the past?

Thanks for the responses guys…apologies for not getting back here sooner!

I always liked phones that had a hard QWERTY keyboard for ease of usage. I did have a HTC Touch Diamond at one point - a great little phone, but what a nightmare trying to write! Current phone is HTC Desire HD. I've always been a fan of BB keyboards…

Thoie wrote: »
    Would you consider the Desire Z

Nice looking phone - a little down on the BB's processor power though!

The Blackberry 9900 bold has the nicest keyboard I've ever held. It also has touchscreen. Very decent phone on OS7 although I prefer android myself.

Excellent suggestion - seems to be even better than the Torch. Thanks!

Advertisement