Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to test a pc power switch

Options
  • 01-02-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i have a pc that doesnt power up ,how do i test the power switch so i can tell its a faulty on off button ,as opposed to a dead power supply , psu.
    The power button has 3 connectors , 3 double wires go to each connector, ,connector 1
    has 2wires going to it , blue white, connector 2 red white,connector 3 , green white.

Can i just short out 2 wires , plus and minus to test the psu.
    i,m buying a power switch in 2 days time.
    Wheres the best place to buy one, Maplins has just a switch with 2 connectors, i wanna get one that has 3
    connectors, about a quarter inch by quarter inch
    wide at the front ,so it fits in the pc case .

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

riclad wrote: »
    i have a pc that doesnt power up ,how do i test the power switch so i can tell its a faulty on off button ,as opposed to a dead power supply , psu.
    The power button has 3 connectors , 3 double wires go to each connector, ,connector 1
    has 2wires going to it , blue white, connector 2 red white,connector 3 , green white.

Can i just short out 2 wires , plus and minus to test the psu.
    i,m buying a power switch in 2 days time.
    Wheres the best place to buy one, Maplins has just a switch with 2 connectors, i wanna get one that has 3
    connectors, about a quarter inch by quarter inch
    wide at the front ,so it fits in the pc case .

If you look at where the front panel connectors are on your motherboard, looks like this:

panel_leitungen.jpg

Find the + and - pins for the power switch and just short them with the head of a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So i can just short our the 2 power sw pins as in pic above, or i can short the ends of the 2 wires going to the power/sw mobo terminals and the pc comes
    on IF the psu is still working.ie i leave the 2 wires shorted ,i have the front panel removed so i have easy acess to the power switch and the wires.
    i,m just checking its my friends pc ,i dont wish to damage it in any way.I,ll also bring over my spare psu just in case i need it.
    Do you know any retail shop that sells a generic basic pc power switch .
    So if necessary i can just put in a 2 terminal switch
    from maplins and connect the pc sw 2 wires,

one to each terminal and the pc will power up ,if
    the psu is working.

I can ignore the reset and hd cables ,leave em disconnected for the moment , i just want to be sure the psu is working normally,
    its either the switch or psu thats faulty, the pc is about 6 years old,
    e machines 620 desktop dual core.do i just short em for a second ,or leave them shorted , in order to power up the pc.
    In the pic above would shorting the red white wires turn on the pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

as poster above mentioned, you can just short the + / - pins on the mobo with a screwdriver and that should do the trick.

if you want to test the psu on its own you could try the paperclip trick.

if the switch is faulty, should be no hassle finding a replacement for it, or pull one out of an old case.. but what you suggested should work as well.. just attaching a 2 way switch to the wires (if indeed that's the problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ill get the 2 way switch from maplins, first i,ll test the psu using a paperclip to the green ,black terminals.Thanks for the advice.i,ve got an old pc i can take a switch from if necessary.

Advertisement