Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is fracking unbelievable, restart the gravy train, Leitrim to the rescue

• 01-02-2012 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0201/1224311046794.html?via=mr

The good.
    Leitrim has $55bn gas reserves, firm claims

INITIAL INDICATIONS from exploration drilling in the northwest show that the area could hold enough natural gas to supply Irish needs for 12 years and create a total of 3,000 jobs.

Tamboran Resources, which has exploration drilling licences on both sides of the Border in the northwest region, said yesterday that its initial studies have confirmed the existence of a “substantial natural gas field” in northern Leitrim.

Tamboran’s findings suggest that production there could ultimately reach 2.2 trillion cubic feet of gas, worth $55 billion at yesterday’s prices, which were around $2.50 per 1,000 cubic feet in New York.

The seemingly good but on second read, not so much.
    It could also yield a substantial benefit for the State, which could get €4.9 billion in corporate, exploration and employment taxes.

Tamboran says it intends investing €7 billion in the region. Along with this, if the find hits its commercial targets, it has pledged to create a local investment fund that will channel €2 million a year into Leitrim.

Late last year, Mr Moorman told The Irish Times that the company had talks with Sligo Institute of Technology about the possibility of providing training for prospective workers.

Tamboran is one of three companies carrying out onshore natural gas exploration in Ireland.

Tamboran is a privately held Australian and Canadian-based exploration company with licences and assets in Ireland, Australia and Africa.

Summary:

Private firm find €55 billion woth of gas in Leitrim.
    Irish government only gets 10%, if we're lucky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Better than nothing. Plus, they'll create jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trusty 'ol Leitrim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0201/1224311046794.html?via=mr

The good.

Summary:

Ever hear of costs???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Cue the anti-fracking outrage in 3, 2, 1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Inb4 shell2sea bullshít or that propoganda tripe "my oil and gas" video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

That's gas! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe they can afford a second set of traffic lights now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DB21 wrote: »

Cue the greens with their thundering mandate of 0% seats in the last general election. But of course that was all due to being partners with FF and nothing whatsoever to do with a total rejection of their financially penal approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Ever hear of costs???

Yep, it was being flippant anyway, Norway must fall around laughing everytime they look at us.
    More luck to the private firm, fair play to them, they played by the rules & took a punt, their shareholders will be pleased.
    At least we might get a few jobs a bit of crusty/Shinner bashing out of this.

I wonder if those Ghost Estates up in the Mid-West might be restarted.
    Probably not cause there in NAMA, it'll take 6 years & 4 reports to recognise an opportunity in front of their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

While I'm not normally one to jump to the defence of large corporations, they did actually find the gas, not the government, so I don't think it's such a bad deal.

It's better than nothing, which is the amount of money most people expected us to get out of Leitrim, unless they develop Shergar's possible resting place into a tourist attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Back of the net!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sure these plonkers will probably let them have it for nothing, just like the last plonkers did. :rolleyes: I'll tell you one thing tho, it won't mean diddly squat to the ordinary folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

While I'm not normally one to jump to the defence of large corporations, they did actually find the gas, not the government, so I don't think it's such a bad deal.

It's better than nothing, which is the amount of money most people expected us to get out of Leitrim, unless they develop Shergar's possible resting place into a tourist attraction.

The gas is probably a build-up from the fumes of his rotting corpse.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Its ok the anti fraking brigade is here...

Personally i don't care that there is that Gas under leitrim. If the only way to get it out is by fraking then its not worth it.

It has been shown to be very damaging to local enviorments and also led to flames coming from taps in the states.

So far the majority of councils (if not all) have said no to the process too.

Now if councils are even saying no then something must be up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Well it didn`t take long for this thread to populate itself with complete idiots. Obviously none of ye live in the part of the country that`s gonna get poisoned by the fracking. It`s very easy to look over to Leitrim from Meath or Kildare or wherever you are and say,"frack the hell outta the place...sure we`re grand up here in the east". Yes,it`ll make the country some money,but at what cost? Money isn`t the be all and end all...it was during the Celtic Tiger years and that`s turned out well hasn`t it? What price will we pay if this is let go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

danniemcq wrote: »
    Now if councils are even saying no then something must be up
    They won't get back in if they say yes.

Hopefully the days of the fat brown envelope are over. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Why is it never an indigenous firm that wants to extract the gas?
    Is it not viable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

DB21 wrote: »

Sligo County Council recently passed a motion to object to/place a ban on fracking as did Leitrim CoCo if I'm not mistaken (or Donegal, not quite sure). However they then turned around and said these motions aren't worth anything as it the Dept of Environment who calls the shots :confused:

If this Gas Field is to be utilised the current spineless-in it for themselves- policitians who won't reverse the clusterfúck/corrupt decision of Haughey Government made back in the 80's to make a deal with the multinational oil companies. Minister Ray Burke (who was later jailed for corruption) changed the law in 1987, reducing the State’s share in our offshore oil and gas from 50% to zero and abolishing royalties.

Then in 1992, Minister Bertie Ahern reduced the tax rate for the profits made from the sale of these resources from 50% to 25%. Good man Bertie, how's your €150,000 pension these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Summary:

No no, it's still good, Irish govt gets 10% in taxes, Irish workers then make another let's say 100 million a year if there is 3000 jobs, they buy stuff with that, reinvigorating local economy, and for everything purchased 23& is paid in VAT.

It's pretty decent really.

Also, Frackng? Isn't Battlestar Galactica fake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can hear the flip-flopping of ten thousand crusties swarming towards Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Obviously none of ye live in the part of the country that`s gonna get poisoned by the fracking.

How would we even tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nobody lives in Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can hear the flip-flopping of ten thousand crusties swarming towards Leitrim.

There are already many "crustie" and alternative types happily living and working in Leitrim. Attracted there by clean air and water and a relaxed pace of life. Leitrim has seen innovation in alternative energy wind power, micro hydro and in sustainable living like the organic centre in Rossinver. It is arguably one of the "greenest" counties in Ireland.

If you look into what the fracking process invloves you will see that massive volumes of water are invloved. This water is mixed with chemicals and pumped into cracks in the earth.

When the government is introducing mandatory septic tank inspections under the auspices of protecting the quality of ground water, locals are right to be angry at the duplicity of government in the standards required for citizens versus those required for large multinational corporations.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

How would we even tell the difference?

That`s helpful. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Better get me some shares in that company.

Now all I need is some money to buy the shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Ever hear of costs???

Yes, costs are what companies use as a means to avoid paying tax. Pat Rabbitte told us all about jacking up the tax rate on profits made from Corrib, but it's pretty easy to pay 'consultancy fees' of 25% turnover to a company based in Bermuda (also owned by the same expoloration company).

Profit made in Ireland : €0
    Tax paid on profit made in ireland is nice high percentage... of €0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    There are already many "crustie" and alternative types happily living and working in Leitrim. Attracted there by clean air and water and a relaxed pace of life. Leitrim has seen innovation in alternative energy wind power, micro hydro and in sustainable living like the organic centre in Rossinver. It is arguably one of the "greenest" counties in Ireland.

If you look into what the fracking process invloves you will see that massive volumes of water are invloved. This water is mixed with chemicals and pumped into cracks in the earth.

When the government is introducing mandatory septic tank inspections under the auspices of protecting the quality of ground water, locals are right to be angry at the duplicity of government in the standards required for citizens versus those required for large multinational corporations.

That's all very nice but the green spin only works in affluent times.
    For 5 billion I'd frack my grandmother, on TV, live, to the death.

That`s helpful. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Well that's certainly convinced me to care about your cause.
    Excellent job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That's all very nice but the green spin only works in affluent times.
    For 5 billion I'd frack my grandmother, on TV, live, to the death.

Suffers from gas does she?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Well that's certainly convinced me to care about your cause.
    Excellent job.

Do you know anything about fracking? If you do then I shouldn`t have any convincing to do...
    You asked an idiotic question and I responded. That`s all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

smash wrote: »
    Better than nothing. Plus, they'll create jobs.
    Its not better than nothing, we should tax the balls of them like Norway do, 70% should go to the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Where is fracking permabanned other than France?
    Its not better than nothing, we should tax the balls of them like Norway do, 70% should go to the state.

Norway has a history of big finds so they can charge what they like and get it. We do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'll just leave these here

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/06/fracking-in-pennsylvania-201006?currentPage=3

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Black-Foamy-Water-Has-Neighbors-Worried-About-Fracking-135440643.html

Seeing the ignorance displayed in some of the above posts, I reckon the country deserves no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Big business says there is vast wealth to be had from a filthy industry if only they could get permission to flatten Lovely Leitrim.

Hmmmmm, my bullsh1t sensor is working overtime on the idea that there is €55bn just sitting there. It wouldn't be like big business to tell the occasional white lie to get there way, would it?

Do you know anything about fracking? If you do then I shouldn`t have any convincing to do...
    You asked an idiotic question and I responded. That`s all.

I know a surprising amount, it still does not concern me.

But, please, feel free to continue at being terrible when it comes to convincing people why they should care. Assuming people who don't share your concerns are simply uneducated and that your outlook is the only possible one is a fantastic start on that road, keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Just for some context, here is the website of the company involved.

http://www.tamboran.com/

A lovely Wordpress site. They have zero experience in extracting anything.

These guys are at the bleeding edge of oil and gas exploration. Identify an area of geological interest and sell on your research.

This is a tried and trusted industry, unfortunately fracking "potentially" brings this into the area of being a complete and utter scam.

The process of fracking involves pumping water, sand and various chemicals into the ground. The chemicals are accelerants designed to speed up the process of liberating hydrocarbons from the rock. The most commonly used chemical is simple diesel.

The type of accelerant used can wildly change the results of your survey, giving the illusion of a highly productive seam, whereas in reality you just stuffed the play with so much accelerant that the reserves will be exhausted in 2 weeks.

tl:dr: It's may be a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I know a surprising amount, it still does not concern me.

But, please, feel free to continue at being terrible when it comes to convincing people why they should care. Assuming people who don't share your concerns are simply uneducated and that your outlook is the only possible one is a fantastic start on that road, keep it up.

In fairness, your own posts in this thread are not exactly profound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

dsmythy wrote: »
    Where is fracking permabanned other than France?

Norway has a history of big finds so they can charge what they like and get it. We do not.

Thats because ireland havent done any real exploration yet,and still cant get a pipeline ashore in the west!!!!!
    So i cant say it looks to bright the oil future of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

GetWithIt wrote: »

Bob Dillon wrote a song about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGE1uGt3ng8

Gee Bag wrote: »
    In fairness, your own posts in this thread are not exactly profound

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and there is also the documentary Gasland
    Storyline
    It is happening all across America-rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called "fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower. Written by Sundance Film Festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Fracking in Leitrim? Not fracking likely ........ the machines will sink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Jesus has provided for us yet again. Its great to be getting some good news for a change, isnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Cavan will probably begin sideways drilling into the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

With the proper precautions it's probably possible to get the gas out without an environmental disaster. AS long as those precautions are enforced by the government when leasing out the land I have no objections to a company drilling for profit. I think we should definitely raise the taxes as high as we can. Even if no one goes for it now they'll have no choice but to pay up as time passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Leitrim finally comes good, suppose we better give it it's county status back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

GetWithIt wrote: »

A lovely Wordpress site. They have zero experience in extracting anything.

tl:dr: It's may be a scam.

I don't know about a scam since its been all over the news, but they seem to be cowboys alright!
    Just did a whois search on tamboran.com and it returns, its registed in Canada by an Eric Gooden
    http://who.is/whois/tamboran.com/

Turns out he's also the registrant of http://calgarysalsacongress.com/
    http://who.is/whois/calgarysalsacongress.com

Who knew Gas exploration an salsa dancing were so closely related!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

You'd have to be fairly naive to think that we're ever going to see that money. Like it was posted earlier, the government will only see 10p/c. And that whole creating jobs for the local economy? How many of those jobs are going to be for expert drillers flown in? (like Dubai)
    Not to mention the dangers of fracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Cavan will probably begin sideways drilling into the field.

Fracking is sideways drilling. At least when you hit the seam

• Advertisement
Advertisement