Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is fracking unbelievable, restart the gravy train, Leitrim to the rescue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Hippies trying to ruin things for the rest of us. We need the jobs, leitrim will be grand. Whats the worst that could happen. If only we could tax wingeing we'd never need to worry again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Good site here on it http://what-the-frack.org/ and for what its worth i work in the oil/gas industry and would be totally against the fracking process whether the company behind it say its safe or not. Fact is its not safe. If you read into it you will see the problems it causes, the impact it has on local wildlife both from water contamination and ground contamination. The companies behind these frack sites will always quote safety being great and no problems from frack sites where there is little or no human life around it and say there has been no problems reported. This is a good read for anyone wanting more info http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3040062/Fracking%20Overview.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its not so long ago that half the users here seemed to want to sell Leitrim.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056486479

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    You'd have to be fairly naive to think that we're ever going to see that money. Like it was posted earlier, the government will only see 10p/c.
    10% is a low enough number and could be slightly higher but the government can't go taking massive chunks out of private enterprise or we might as well stop shops from selling or stop people cutting turf.
    It maybe good enough for the barren Australian outback (eff all agricultural activity to worry about) or dirt-poor African hell-holes but its not good enough for us.
    Your more than happy to take advantage of foreign drilling for resources but your not prepared to give anything back? Feck the Africans as long as I'm all right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Hi, im a whiney lefty so im automatically against fraccing.

Hi, Im a bad ass nurightie and am pro anything you dreadlocked hippys are against.

Hi, I actually know what Im talking about and nobody listens to me :C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Look, worst case scenario we lose Leitrim . . . . :rolleyes:
    Best case we're quids in €5 billion . . . . :D

Time to give Harry Stamper a call I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Summary:[/B]
    Private firm find €55 billion woth of gas in Leitrim.
    Irish government only gets 10%, if we're lucky.

While I don't agree with handing our resources away. 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

RichieC wrote: »
    Hi, im a whiney lefty so im automatically against fraccing.

Hi, Im a bad ass nurightie and am pro anything you dreadlocked hippys are against.

Hi, I actually know what Im talking about and nobody listens to me :C

split personality disorder?

They lost the battle for Hearts & Minds when they gave it a nasty aggressive name like Fracking.
    They should have called it non-intrusive resource extraction or something catchier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

While I don't agree with handing our resources away. 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

What? NO! It isn't like a gas is going to go away, or expire if we don't act fast enough! And the 100% of nothing you speak of is clean drinking water, and nonpoisonous countryside!
    The 5.5 Billion that the economy would expect to make? Do you expect the government to spend it in our best interests? Perhaps it could be used to compensate Leitrim and Roscommon for poisoning to fúck out of their land! Or fire extinguishers for their sinks in case their water catches fire!

Such shortsightedness!

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Perhaps it could be used to compensate Leitrim and Roscommon for poisoning to fúck out of their land!

Oh, trying to get a piece of the action in Roscommon are you, the one day Leitrim catches a break now everyone's their best friend. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Oh, trying to get a piece of the action in Roscommon are you, the one day Leitrim catches a break now everyone's their best friend. Disgusting.

Nope, I'm from Sligo, Roscommon is just close to Lough Allen, where that fracking is supposed to take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Inb4 shell2sea bullshít or that propoganda tripe "my oil and gas" video

It's wide of the mark to portray objections to the process as simply left wing crusties against progress and evil corporations. This process has been banned in a few US states already. Watch the Gasland documentary on this, you'll find the people against it are not all hippies and crusties.
    If your logic is it's still worth ignoring the risks because of the big money to made, then perhaps we should go the whole hog and make certain illegal activity legal so the state can bring in more money in these straitened times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

The government should takes notes from Norway on these types of things before they fúck everything up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's wide of the mark to portray objections to the process as simply left wing crusties against progress and evil corporations. This process has been banned in a few US states already. Watch the Gasland documentary on this, you'll find the people against it are not all hippies and crusties.
    If your logic is it's still worth ignoring the risks because of the big money to made, then perhaps we should go the whole hog and make certain illegal activity legal so the state can bring in more money in these straitened times.

i never said lefties....

and I have watched gasland, a very biased documentary by a borderline eco nut. but what that documentary fails to point out is that all those people affected get their water from deep underground wells and in a very close proximity to the fracking, aswell as the rock composition below being different in all places. Also Haliburton arent exactly the most caring company

A lot of letrim would have piped water or shallow well group schemes.

The US and Europe have entirely different sets of rules on how to take natural resources out of the ground.

and on the 2nd part - yeah, drugs, prostitution, guns - legalise it all and tax it to the hilt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What's the mad rush for extracting it?

Keeping it in the ground is like money in the bank for this country (only safer :p)

Hold off until they can prove a more environmentally friendly method of extraction.

Before any contract goes ahead, the movie Gasslands should be shown on Irish Television along with a DVD of it to be handed out to every family living in Counties Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Fermanagh, Longford Cavan, and Monaghan.

What's the mad rush for extracting it?

Keeping it in the ground is like money in the bank for this country (only safer :p)

Hold off until they can prove a more environmentally friendly method of extraction.

Before any contract goes ahead, the movie Gasslands should be shown on Irish Television along with a DVD of it to be handed out to every family living in Counties Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Fermanagh, Longford Cavan, and Monaghan.

aslong as it comes with a massive cigarette style warning label saying "most of this info doesnt apply to ireland because we dont drill deep water wells and we dont have the flagrant abuse of regulation that the US does"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the anti-fracking brigade are missing a major point here. Its only Leitrim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0201/1224311046794.html?via=mr

The good.

The seemingly good but on second read, not so much.

Summary:

I don't see the big problem, what do you suggest the private firm do...not make a profit on their investment?

aslong as it comes with a massive cigarette style warning label saying "most of this info doesnt apply to ireland because we dont drill deep water wells and we dont have the flagrant abuse of regulation that the US does"
    Fracking is less damaging when it is kept in large open planes like in the US away from populations.

Leitrim and surrounding counties are densely populated compared to similar areas in the US where this process is being carried out.

The only reason Leitrim is chosen in Ireland is because those wanting to promote it are hoping the country would pass Lietrim off as the arse hole of the country and see the golden carrot. If they even dreamed of Fracking in Cork, Tip or Kerry it would be a different story, votes would be lost, there would be riots and more..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

6 o clock news 1 feb. Very convenient that RTE follow up a report on Fracking in Leitrim theoretically supplying our gas for 12 years, with a report on the awful weather, and Gazprom possibly not being able to met Europe's gas needs. RTE once again shows itself to be the propaganda arm of the Irish Government. They really think we're that thick.

Pat Kenny showed us that clearly last week when he accused that Claire one from the left alliance of being like Bertie when they spoke about the household charge, and then shouting her down like he was drunk in a pub, now RTE news are getting in on the act. Sickening.

RTE backed Moorman on the primetime interview on fracking a few months back with the DOherty lady.

Moorman is proven filthy scum. I havent a religous bone in my body, but that c*** oozes pure evil. Possibly the msot poorly chosen face of an organisation imaginable, he comes across as the most disingenuous arrogant w*nker imaginable. Wr have to ask ourselves why he's arrogant? Does he know something w dont?? Ie, our angelic politicians will be bought one way or the other??

Im not decided on Fracking, but judging by the biased RTE,and that Moorman scumbag who laughed right through that first primetime interview, and the fact RTE are obviously being dircted by their paymasters in the Governemtn whove probably all been promised corporate jobs after they get turfed out, or had numbered accounts filled with cash....im think Fracking is the wrost thing for this country since the vikings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

This is Ireland.It would cost 10 billion on legal fees and consultations before a shovel hits the ground.

I for one welcome our gas drilling overlords.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    This is Ireland.It would cost 10 billion on legal fees and consultations before a shovel hits the ground.

I for one welcome our gas drilling overlords.

well some people care for the environment, and tourism resources, and some people also dont believe blatant corporate lies.

You're evidently not one of those people, and you're entitled to your apathy, if you don't want to really engage your brain on what will ACTUALLY happen. After all, It IS so much easier on the soft human brain to take things at face value and not question things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

well some people care for the environment, and tourism resources, and some people also dont believe blatant corporate lies[

You're evidently not one of those people, and you're entitled to your apathy, if you don't want to really engage your brain on what will ACTUALLY happen. After all, It IS so much easier on the soft human brain to take things at face value and not question things.
    What are you even talking about?,Ireland is in now position to start a expedition of such a nature in hope of a profitable return.

the gas is of no use in the ground and we're in need of money more than trees.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Where is fracking permabanned other than France?

bulgaria i think and a few us states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

That's all very nice but the green spin only works in affluent times.

Lets ****ing hope not, if we go ahead and allow a technology that has been proven to be harmful be utilized in our country we can officially declare ourselves a bunch of ****ing THICK HEADED ****...

That's not just you, but me and everyone else who lives in this country.

The sheer scale of DUMBFCUKARY that going on here at this stage is shameful.

Saying that you are proud to be Irish is almost now akin to say I'm proud to be a DUMB FCUKER living in a nation of DUMBFCUKERS.

What are you even talking about?,Ireland is in now position to start a expedition of such a nature in hope of a profitable return.

im talking about the revenue we'll have ruined from tourism loss, that would be otherwise there in perpetuity. Massive wells all over the countryside...and even if its just one county, we'll soon get a name for it worldwid, and people in America,china or wherever, dont know that it'll JUST be leitrim (which it probably wouldnt be anyway if there was pollution-watertables dont respect country boundaries). Our image abroad could be ruined. TOurism could be completely destroyed. And thats not hysteria, it's a pretty logical assumption

im talking about the fact that it seems this company is lying that nothing will be released into the water- even if they only use water, chemicals will come out of the ground it's been shown.

Im talking about the fact that the net jobs dont look like theyre that numerous, plus the loss of local touist jobs, and closed shops etc because people dont want to live with trucks coming in and out of their area non stop.....would mena there would likely be a net job loss.

Im taling about noone has shown how this is good for anyone except the company, and the evil looking guy Moorman, seemingly satans representative on earth.

bulgaria i think and a few us states
    Fink also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eqmyzNzsNU. THE FACE OF EVIL:)

ALso watched this couple of years ago. Very informative but may be biased or may not be.
    http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's like saying that money is of no use in the bank.

Even if the gas is untapped for now, it's there as an investment for the future, and provides the country with some much needed energy security.

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    Lets ****ing hope not, if we go ahead and allow a technology that has been proven to be harmful be utilized in our country we can officially declare ourselves a bunch of ****ing THICK HEADED ****...

That's not just you, but me and everyone else who lives in this country.

The sheer scale of DUMBFCUKARY that going on here at this stage is shameful.

Saying that you are proud to be Irish is almost now akin to say I'm proud to be a DUMB FCUKER living in a nation of DUMBFCUKERS.

very well put.

RTE is now being enlisted by the scum behind the scenes in government who are trying to change people's minds on this.- they could have put that article about gas shortages in Europe on at ANY time in the broadcast, but they put it on after saying that Tamboran have said we could have "12 years of gas from these wells, for ourselves"

This is absolutely shameful. Corruption at the highest levels. Either somone in RTE is trying to show theyre being taken advantage of in a subtle way, or they all think we're that stupid- stupid as our government. Lets face it, if American politicians can go work for Halliburton etc. afer working in related public jobs- why can't it happen here eh?????

if anyone doubts what im saying, check the rte player for today's news- its about half way through. (program not available at time of post- give it an hour or so)

RTE=Irish government. The government have now shown their hand to me that theyre behind this one hundred percent.

Moorman is proven filthy scum. I havent a religous bone in my body, but that c*** oozes pure evil. Possibly the msot poorly chosen face of an organisation imaginable, he comes across as the most disingenuous arrogant w*nker imaginable

How , How is he scum, just because hes ceo of a corporation ? what has he ever done that he deserves such utter drivel to be spouted about him, just because he runs an energy company that some indymedia bullshít nonsense has told you is evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What are the alternatives to fracking (besides leaving the gas where it is), does anybody know? While I agree that Ireland needs the money and should try and access this resource, fracking seems too dodgy a means to get it.

humanji wrote: »
    What are the alternatives to fracking (besides leaving the gas where it is), does anybody know? While I agree that Ireland needs the money and should try and access this resource, fracking seems too dodgy a means to get it.

if the gas is trapped in a seam of rock you can just drill a hole down to it, you can use mechanical fracturing or explosives to release it. The objection people have to hydraulic fracturing tends to be the contents of the fluids used and the likelyhood of them seeping into drinking water supplies, which I maintain would not be the same fluids as used in the US due to tighter regulations and different rock composition, also an awful lot of the contents are heavy metallic compounds which would not surface or mix with the water and would not cause a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The dangers of fracking explained.

http://www.dangersoffracking.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm not very well read up on the whole fracking debate, but leaving the use of chemicals aside, it sounds as if vast quantities of water would be required, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

It maybe good enough for the barren Australian outback (eff all agricultural activity to worry about) or dirt-poor African hell-holes but we've too much to lose (see further) by embarking on this.

Short term gain for a company of hyenas / jackals named after an explosive volcano !

I don't think we are suckers for instant jobs out of this venture. They know there exists no legislation here governing this activity.

Future Conventional Oil/Gas exploration licences here have just gone to the highest bidders so we're left with the Poor Man's natural gas??

No thanks, I'd sooner keep our fishing (tourism) pristine, our drinking water fit for consumption and Agriculture food exports (lamb,beef etc) remaining intact!

In addition fracking could impact severely on land values in the vicinity; its reputation will precede it (imho of course) and fracking may then spread (?)

Soon you may be taking drinking water from the Shannon - do you want that tainted?

More related content here, thanks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056299145

"Hippies trying to ruin things for the rest of us. We need the jobs, leitrim will be grand. Whats the worst that could happen. If only we could tax wingeing we'd never need to worry again "

Can we have a thumbs down button for comments that grate?

How , How is he scum, just because hes ceo of a corporation ? what has he ever done that he deserves such utter drivel to be spouted about him, just because he runs an energy company that some indymedia bullshít nonsense has told you is evil

during the interview on primetime, he proceeded to laugh on camera, while the biased rte host was talking to Leah doherty. So basically he was laughing with someone in his office (more than a few times),while a serious and earnest discussion was taking place, that he was a part of, via video link....and dismissing every single question that was put to him with arrogance and scientific lies.

He also ruined countless communities across the USA as head of his previous company,( southwest, i think they are called). Those communtiies are involved in litigation with his previous company still.

Back to the first point, this is a huge issue for us as a nation, and he knew this was our main current affairs program. Yet he managed to completely laugh everything off, and treat things as if it were one big joke, and he didnt give a sh*t what anyone thought, and didnt care that there were SERIOUS concerns in this country, as there are SERIOUS concerns all over the USA where he has been.

SO yeah, nothing to do with anyone telling me he's scum. I can make up my own mind- Moorman is Scum, of the lowest, corrupt, disgusting kind.

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I'm not very well read up on the whole fracking debate, but leaving the use of chemicals aside, it sounds as if vast quantities of water would be required, correct?

yes, normally de-salinated sea water is used

during the interview on primetime, he proceeded to laugh on camera, while the biased rte host was talking to Leah doherty. So basically he was laughing with someone in his office (more than a few times),while a serious and earnest discussion was taking place, that he was a part of, via video link....and dismissing every single question that was put to him with arrogance and scientific lies.

He also ruined countless communities across the USA as head of his previous company,( southwest, i think they are called). Those communtiies are involved in litigation with his previous company still.

Back to the first point, this is a huge issue for us as a nation, and he knew this was our main current affairs program. Yet he managed to completely laugh everything off, and treat things as if it were one big joke, and he didnt give a sh*t what anyone thought, and didnt care that there were SERIOUS concerns in this country, as there are SERIOUS concerns all over the USA where he has been.

SO yeah, nothing to do with anyone telling me he's scum. I can make up my own mind- Moorman is Scum, of the lowest, corrupt, disgusting kind.

which specific scientific lies ?

could I get a link for information on a PREVIOUS company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

yes, normally de-salinated sea water is used

Isn't de-salanisation very energy intensive? We might end up burning a good deal of this gas just doing that.

And Diesel.

Its also quite ironic that Governments are concerned about dissident diesel launderers polluting the land around border counties and at the same time would condone this type of activity in the same areas.

Isn't de-salanisation very energy intensive? We might end up burning a good deal of this gas just doing that.

I suppose we would, still, something is better than nothing. Extracting fossil fuels is always going to be energy intensive, but I know what your trying to get at - and NO , no company would ever consider using the majority/ all of a natural fresh water supply for letrim to bore a well

Here's a small snippet of all people need to know about the 'institute fo energy research'. Its backed by some of the worst polluters on the planet, kock brothers etc..

That American think tank is the Institute for Energy Research, which has received $307,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998 and unknown additional sums from other oil and coal industry sources. The Guardian reported last year that the Institute for Energy Research has received recent funding from KBR and trusts set up by Koch Industries, which has multiple ties to IER and its sister organization American Energy Alliance.

IER’s President Thomas J. Pyle previously worked as a lobbyist for Koch Industries, while IER’s CEO Robert L. Bradley was formerly Director of Public Relations Policy at Enron, where he served as speechwriter for Enron CEO Kenneth Lay.

Cartman, youre either a WUM, a representative of Tamboran and Moorman, or an absolute idiot. To be using them as a trusted source is like Bush citing Cheney. Youre delusional.

One of many full articles here;

http://www.desmogblog.com/institute-energy-research-admits-it-was-behind-anti-wind-study

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0201/1224311046794.html?via=mr

The good.

The seemingly good but on second read, not so much.

Summary:
    Summary:
    private firm risks €7 billion in hope of extracting gas.
    irish Government does fcuk all and get about €5 .5 billion
    Badly needed jobs and investment goes west...everyones a winner

Eric Cartman, i honestly believe youre part of the Tamboran machine to be honest, as all you seem to be doing is trying to muddy the waters... so google southwest energy, litigation, pollution and moormanm and see what you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

The money the government get will all go to the EU(Germany) anyway, while the people of Leitrim etc. get poisoned...seems like the Germans are going back to their old habit of poisoning people!!!!!
    Modern day gas chambers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Would you not be worried about who is backing that oh so independent sounding organisation? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Energy_Research

http://www.desmogblog.com/institute-energy-research-admits-it-was-behind-anti-wind-study

edit: oops hadn't seen pcworldisajoke's post. No harm re-posting anyway, to underline what a bunch of chancers these guys are.

lividduck wrote: »
    Summary:
    private firm risks €7 billion in hope of extracting gas.
    irish Government does fcuk all and get about €5 .5 billion
    Badly needed jobs and investment goes west...everyones a winner

what about the jobs that are lost through tourism,and likely agricultural pollution (its happened EVERYWHERE else that theyve fracked,and noone has done it without water, and even with water, chemicals still come out of the ground) and our international image of a clean green country to international tourists- it's a small country, and they dont care/know it's just leitrim

Oh, and dont forget the environmental damage to animal habitats, forests, fisheries increased burden on thw state to provide new drinking water sources.

(and dont forget, even if by some miracle the fracking doesnt cause pollution, there'll still be tourism ruined from hideous gas wells as far as the eye can see in some places, increased fossil fuel usage (trucks etc)..local tourist towns ruined...and dont forget that even if they can do this without chemicals-which they cant- that alot of chemical are released from the ground that DO pollute water tables)

Are all of them folks a winner? Yeah? Give them a call then, becuas they might disagree with you. But do be prepared for them to tell you to go and f**k of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement