Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is fracking unbelievable, restart the gravy train, Leitrim to the rescue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cartman, youre either a WUM, a representative of Tamboran and Moorman, or an absolute idiot. To be using them as a trusted source is like Bush citing Cheney. Youre delusional.
    If you could post without insulting me id be fine.

The fact of it is, for whatever reason, you have decided to ignore the facts and in a style similar to the daily mail, blow up isolated incidents and used 'facts' sourced from eco-biased sources (including the film gasland) and decided that if you shout loud enough about how every corporation is 'evil' that maybe this will go away.

What do you stand to gain or lose from this project going ahead ? , the Irish tax payer only stands to gain, with billions of euro , jobs, an economic boost and an entry to the energy market on a grand scale. These results are 100% there , should the gas be in the ground

whereas your negative concerns about isolated incidents of hydraulic fracturing malfunction in small patches over the vastly energy dense US, in a different soil composition , using different fluids, done by different companies, are a far far off worst case scenario that has a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance of happening.

If you work, and pay tax , you stand to gain from this. If you sit around on the dole, you stand to gain from this if you actually want a job. If your from the area or own property there , you stand to gain from this. If you just like seeing companies upset and everyone miserable then you stand to lose - because it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Kick start a train? Where's Mary Harney when you need her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

tell you what, dont insult us ( and yourself) by quoting the Energy institute of reearch, and i wont call you delusional. Deal? GOod man.

(ps- ill still THINK youre delusional, i just wont say it anymore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I have been reading up about this fracking lately seem's awful risky for the sake of 5.5 billion(enough money to run the country for 6 weeks not as much as it sounds)Is it really worth the potential risk poisoning half the country for it?Jobs for local's would also be minimal they will be flying in experts from the U.S.A and Australia and other places not many Irish people have mining experience.

The fact of it is, for whatever reason, you have decided to ignore the facts and in a style similar to the daily mail, blow up isolated incidents and used 'facts' sourced from eco-biased sources (including the film gasland) and decided that if you shout loud enough about how every corporation is 'evil' that maybe this will go away.

What do you stand to gain or lose from this project going ahead ? , the Irish tax payer only stands to gain, with billions of euro , jobs, an economic boost and an entry to the energy market on a grand scale. These results are 100% there , should the gas be in the ground

whereas your negative concerns about isolated incidents of hydraulic fracturing malfunction in small patches over the vastly energy dense US, in a different soil composition , using different fluids, done by different companies, are a far far off worst case scenario that has a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance of happening.

If you work, and pay tax , you stand to gain from this. If you sit around on the dole, you stand to gain from this if you actually want a job. If your from the area or own property there , you stand to gain from this. If you just like seeing companies upset and everyone miserable then you stand to lose - because it will happen.

You live in a fantasy world. And you're likely being paid by Moorman and his ilk to live there. Have a nice evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

what about the jobs that are lost through tourism,and likely agricultural pollution (its happened EVERYWHERE else that theyve fracked,and noone has done it without water, and even with water, chemicals still come out of the ground) and our international image of a clean green country to international tourists- it's a small country, and they dont care/know it's just leitrim

Oh, and dont forget the environmental damage to animal habitats, forests, fisheries increased burden on thw state to provide new drinking water sources.

(and dont forget, even if by some miracle the fracking doesnt cause pollution, there'll still be tourism ruined from hideous gas wells as far as the eye can see in some places, increased fossil fuel usage (trucks etc)..local tourist towns ruined...and dont forget that even if they can do this without chemicals-which they cant- that alot of chemical are released from the ground that DO pollute water tables)

Are all of them folks a winner? Yeah? Give them a call then, becuas they might disagree with you. But do be prepared for them to tell you to go and f**k of.
    Wow, and dont forget that, that, everytime someone agrees with getting at the gas you will make some really crazy statement starting with ..and dont forget.
    Anyway, can anybody tell me , what is the point of leitrim?:D:D:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

You live in a fantasy world. And you're likely being paid by Moorman and his ilk to live there. Have a nice evening

From southpark or at least he thinks he is. Dropped on the oul head as a baby!!
    Problem is so were most of the politicians in this skip. The government will jump into this like kids in a sweetshop without even trying to engage the little bit of their VCJD rotted brains that's left. No hope of them looking at the bigger picture as they don't realise there is one.

and dont forget, even blind people like you can be funny liveduck :D

found this petition giving a bit of background on the the origins of fracking. The petiion is closed for some reason, but the info is very interesting.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ban-destructive-gas-fracking-in-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

• Advertisement

Im living in the reality of the situation at hand that, if harnessed , could get Ireland back on track.

regardless of whos paying me what, it still doesnt change the fact that Im right

Im living in the reality of the situation at hand that, if harnessed , could get Ireland back on track.

regardless of whos paying me what, it still doesnt change the fact that Im right

So could a lot of other things like legalising the weed and setting up licensed cannabis farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

End Of Thread

Unless people want to discuss ways to ensure no fracking ever happens in Ireland.

Opposing fracking is not any form of crusty/hippie/whatever speculation, it's just common sense and intelligent thinking.

So could a lot of things like legalising the weed and setting up licensed cannabis farms.

your well aware that I also advocate that solution. But thats a situation with a lot more ignorant people shouting it down and a hard lobby against its legalisation by pharmaceutical and other interests.

Luckily with Hydraulic fracturing theres only a small lobby of the 'green' concern and some eco enthusiasts, its a lot easy to silence them and allow progress rather than the massive uphill struggle to legalise cannabis.

k.p.h wrote: »
    End Of Thread

Opposing fracking is not any form of crusty/hippie/whatever speculation, it's just common sense and intelligent thinking.

Its been a technique used since 1947 and I would love you to show me any proven (not some eco nuts website) evidence that suggests even 5% of frack sites cause water table damage

Don't know about getting Ireland back on track, but in 20 years or so it may be the difference between freezing to death or having fuel for the fire!

I'm not a fan of fracking, but in the near future the choice will be that stark!

your well aware that I also advocate that solution. But thats a situation with a lot more ignorant people shouting it down and a hard lobby against its legalisation by pharmaceutical and other interests.

Luckily with Hydraulic fracturing theres only a small lobby of the 'green' concern and some eco enthusiasts, its a lot easy to silence them and allow progress rather than the massive uphill struggle to legalise cannabis.

Jesus Christ, The adverse effects of both things mentioned above are extremely well documented and nobody with an inkling of analytically thinking would allow either.

You can't go around doing DUMB sh|t just because it suits you. And calling it "progress" dose not stop it being DUMB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Its been a technique used since 1947 and I would love you to show me any proven (not some eco nuts website) evidence that suggests even 5% of frack sites cause water table damage
    Have Tamboran being fracking since 1947?

The answer is, obviously, no.

They have zero experience in actual extraction.

As I outlined previously in the thread, I could dig a hole in my back garden, and through various means, produce figures which indicate a massive gas potential.

I'm not necessarily saying Tamboran have gamed their results, just that it is easy to do.

Jesus Christ, The adverse effects of both things mentioned above are extremely well documented and nobody with an inkling of analytically thinking would allow either.

You can't go around doing DUMB sh|t just because it suits you. And calling it "progress" dose not stop it being DUMB.

well I think even RTDH can agree with me in saying that if you think cannabis is dangerous that your opinion on fracking doesnt really count anymore

• Advertisement

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Have Tamboran being fracking since 1947?

The answer is, obviously, no.

They have zero experience in actual extraction.

As I outlined previously in the thread, I could dig a hole in my back garden, and through various means, produce figures which indicate a massive gas potential.

I'm not necessarily saying Tamboran have gamed their results, just that it is easy to do.

they didnt just invent a machine that pumps water and call it fracking, the company may not have the experience, but the process is mature and has been tweaked for over 50 years to establish the refined , scientifically precise method of extracting gas

Their CEO was just on the news saying they would not be using any chemicals in their fracking process.

Either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he's lying. You need to use an accelerant. I call shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Guess who's behind the company that was trying to buy Coillte land up around that area along with other places,just where gas reserves were reported to be found? Yup...good auld Bertie.

I'l leave it up to you EC, I'm not going to spend time here trying to prove to you that something is dangerous when all the resources and info to do so is widely available through the web.

I will urge you to do some research yourself though,best of luck.

well I think even RTDH can agree with me in saying that if you think cannabis is dangerous that your opinion on fracking doesnt really count anymore

The Difference between Cannabis plantations and fracking is that one fcuks up the surrounding land and water supply indefinitely while the other doesn't

I bet this would this be a classic case of "not in my back yard" if shale gas was discovered in your hometown of Kildare.

The Difference between Cannabis plantations and fracking is that one fcuks up the surrounding land and water supply indefinitely while the other doesn't

I bet this would this be a classic case of "not in my back yard" if shale gas was discovered in your hometown of Kildare.

they could put an incinerator in my front garden too if they wanted

• Advertisement

Cartman you need help. Yes it has been used since 1947 but very little and it was banned until 2005 until cheney and bush opened it up by enacting a law that the EPA could no longer regulate it (link here)...will you COP on , noone i buying into your bullshlt.

I feel sorry for you to be honest- youre either daft as a brush, or on the payroll of evil people. Either way, bummer man.

Sure We might get on track for a few years, but itll take ages to see any of that money. And the likelihood is the nations tourism could be catastrophically ruined, ecology ruined, water tables ruined, vast swathes of agri land ruined, nature ruined...short term gain, long term loss no matter if (when) it pollutes or not.

im sure in 20 30 years the tech will be available to take this stuff out without ruining the environment and a solid indistry that we actually still have -tourism.

And ill tell you what, ill provide you with a shlt load of examples of wells gone wrong, if you can show me some examples of communities that are happy that fracking took place on their land.

I won't hold my breath, you silly sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I can relate man. People who disagree with me on any issue whatsoever are all paid propagandists too.

Fight the good fight.

they could put an incinerator in my front garden too if they wanted

ok, this guy is a WUM, plain and simple. Its time to stop paying attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

zerks wrote: »
    Guess who's behind the company that was trying to buy Coillte land up around that area along with other places,just where gas reserves were reported to be found? Yup...good auld Bertie.
    You have a link?

• Advertisement

ok, this guy is a WUM, plain and simple. Its time to stop paying attention to it.

and I suppose you have a problem with those too, energy isnt magic here, has to come from somewhere

c_man wrote: »
    I can relate man. People who disagree with me on any issue whatsoever are all paid propagandists too.

Fight the good fight.

look, disagreeing is one thing, but putting out lies (1947, fracking is safe, its tried and tested, we'll use desalinated water etc ETC ad nauseum ) and offering up paid for debunked research (PROVEN TO BE PAID FOR BY ENERGY CONGLOMERATES) in an attempt to fool people is another thing alltogether..every bit of rubbish he's come out with is just that- rubbish. Hence my conslusion that he's either braindead, or deliberately trying to spread disinformation, divinding and conquering, at the behest of Tamoran, and the snide arogant Moorman, who thinks he will be able to jsut walk all over this country.

The Cartman fool is just trying to reel in the few people that wont go and check facts. Well im showing that he hasnt got any at all.

SO c-man, there are reasons he could well be a paid propagandist- few people are that stupid. An dtuigeann tu?

and I suppose you have a problem with those too, energy isnt magic here, has to come from somewhere

sweet jesus...........

tony007 wrote: »
    You have a link?

i just went on this yoke called google, its mad...... i typed in 'bertie coillte swiss consortium' in there, and got loads of stuff....try it:D

look, disagreeing is one thing, but putting out lies (1947, fracking is safe, its tried and tested, we'll use desalinated water etc ETC ad nauseum ) and offering up paid for debunked research (PROVEN TO BE PAID FOR BY ENERGY CONGLOMERATES) in an attempt to fool people is another thing alltogether..every bit of rubbish he's come out with is just that- rubbish.

a) what lies ?

b) Well who else is going to pay for it, I can pay to go to court, doesnt mean im going to win. If a company wants to do something that impacts the enviroment, ofcourse they have to pay for the study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

i just went on this yoke called google, its mad...... i typed in 'bertie coillte swiss consortium' in there, and got loads of stuff....try it:D

They wanted to buy all of coillte, not just certain parts of the forests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's all to do with how you cherish the land/ environment you live in. I know I would have no interest in visiting a country that would allow this type of rape for a few grubby shekels.
    Put some of the money into renewable energies instead, it will pay dividends more valuable than money.

The ordinary people of Lietrim are about to get poisoned for all the mistakes of greedy property developers, bankers and incompetent Fianna Fail Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Lets ****ing hope not, if we go ahead and allow a technology that has been proven to be harmful be utilized in our country we can officially declare ourselves a bunch of ****ing THICK HEADED ****...

That's not just you, but me and everyone else who lives in this country.

The sheer scale of DUMBFCUKARY that going on here at this stage is shameful.

Saying that you are proud to be Irish is almost now akin to say I'm proud to be a DUMB FCUKER living in a nation of DUMBFCUKERS.
    Sounds about right to me.

a) what lies ?
    Would you agree that the CEO of Tamboran was lying on RTE news when he said no chemicals would be used in the process?

I would also accept that he didn't know what he was talking about.

• Advertisement

a) what lies ?

b) Well who else is going to pay for it, I can pay to go to court, doesnt mean im going to win. If a company wants to do something that impacts the enviroment, ofcourse they have to pay for the study.

a_) read back over your posts.

b) you have to be taking the plss at this point, you have to WUMMING as you can't be that thick....but i'll persevere.

- when a certain industry pays for research, they are not going to pay for research that is detrimental to their industry. That's why there are independant bodies out there to study things and give impartial viewpoints based on the available evidence. They are not an impartial body ( to put it mildly). Examples of impartial bodies would be maybe the police ombudsman.

Eric Cartman, it is blatantly obvious that you are simply trying to dilute the discussion with your tomfoolery. You're plainly a WUM, and you're actually helping the argument towards no fraking, because every little corner of your bullshlt is being exposed for what it is. Bravo.You clearly have an agenda, who's paying you? Whatever theyre paying you...it's too much

Oh, and im still waiting on those examples of communities that are happy fracking happened on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

danniemcq wrote: »
    Its ok the anti fraking brigade is here...

Personally i don't care that there is that Gas under leitrim. If the only way to get it out is by fraking then its not worth it.

It has been shown to be very damaging to local enviorments and also led to flames coming from taps in the states.

So far the majority of councils (if not all) have said no to the process too.

Now if councils are even saying no then something must be up

Tamboran use a chemical free frack solution. That image in Gasland is inaccurate and was filmed in an area where there had always been trace elements of gas in the water. The people who made the film knew this before beginning. Other environmental issues, such as the earthquakes reported in Blackpool are statistically so rare as to be almost unheard of.

I understand people's issues with fossil fuels and carbon producing fuels but the facts in Gasland are not entirely accurate and are not a good example of impartiality in documentary making.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Where is fracking permabanned other than France?

Bulgaria and one region in Germany.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This marks the start of the real battle over the gas fracking issue.

Tamboran is dangling a carrot in the face of the government by promising the Earth, moon and stars. In hard times, the promise of "local jobs" etc. can seem alluring but there is always a price to pay. IMO that price is far too high.

Anything I have seen and read about the practice of fracking has been overwhelmingly negative. The environment of this country is of incalculable value to its people - not just in terms of non-monetary value but also in hard currency which tourism and agriculture brings in. It is not worth sacrificing our environment for these proposals.

And don't forget that the entire Shannon river basin is also at stake here.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This marks the start of the real battle over the gas fracking issue.

Tamboran is dangling a carrot in the face of the government by promising the Earth, moon and stars. In hard times, the promise of "local jobs" etc. can seem alluring but there is always a price to pay. IMO that price is far too high.

Anything I have seen and read about the practice of fracking has been overwhelmingly negative. The environment of this country is of incalculable value to its people - not just in terms of non-monetary value but also in hard currency which tourism and agriculture brings in. It is not worth sacrificing our environment for these proposals.

And don't forget that the entire Shannon river basin is also at stake here.

What is needed is more research to be done on the effects of fracking. Rather than a "fracking is good/fracking is evil" debate, what needs to happen is greater (unbiased) study into its benefits and potentially negative effects.

Recent reading here on a study into European environmental legislation for anyone who's interested.

Millicent wrote: »
    Tamboran use a chemical free frack solution. That image in Gasland is inaccurate and was filmed in an area where there had always been trace elements of gas in the water. The people who made the film knew this before beginning. Other environmental issues, such as the earthquakes reported in Blackpool are statistically so rare as to be almost unheard of.

I understand people's issues with fossil fuels and carbon producing fuels but the facts in Gasland are not entirely accurate and are not a good example of impartiality in documentary making.

Noone has EVER used a chemical free fracking solution. Noone has ever therefore used it successfully, Tamboran are only proposing they will do it.

Lets spin this out then. The water alone doesnt work, the wells are built, all those magical jobs on the line, and Tamboran says lads- the water aint workin, lets bung some chemicals in there and make some quick cash...in other words TYPICAL F*CKING IRELAND

Even if it were successful, there are still a shed load of chemicals released from the rocks that are released along with the gas.

Where do you get your info Millicent? Because you're dead wrong.

Noone has EVER used a chemical free fracking solution. Noone has ever therefore used it successfully,

Even if it were successful, there are still s shed load of chemicals released from the rocks that enter the water.

Where do you get your info Millicent? Because you're dead wrong.

Am I? Here's an example of one such solution. Where do you get your info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Any fracking should be resisted with physical violence. It's simply not worth the money to pollute the environment in the way that this does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You can not be fraking serious.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

"Earthquakes in Ohio and the UK are linked to hydraulic fracturing for unconventional gas, worrying residents".

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/01/201212320420444446.html

Advertisement