Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build for Music

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not in stock at the moment, but potentially a nicer, quieter case:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=49192&agid=631&apop=1

Serephucus wrote: »
    Not in stock at the moment, but potentially a nicer, quieter case:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=49192&agid=631&apop=1

Yeah I would have recommended that if it was in stock. It hasn't been in for a while though.

Pity. It's probably a better choice for a music production machine.

Also, any reason for not going with 2600K/Z68? Would probably only add about €20 to the whole setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Thanks guys.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    Also, any reason for not going with 2600K/Z68? Would probably only add about €20 to the whole setup.

Can you link to the one you mean? Do it have anything to do with overclocking?

This is probably a stupid question re the case, but I'm assuming the 4 USB ports shown are in addition to those supplied via the back when the motherboard is installed?

• Advertisement

A Z68 motherboard (like this one), along with the 2600K, would allow you to overclock, yes. You could easily get a 30% performance increase in no time at all.

The board ads an extra €14, and the processor an extra €25. Both more than worth it.

And yes, the four USB ports on the front will be in addition to whatever the board has on the back.

That's great, thanks a mill. :)

Is overclocking difficult, or risky? I know nothing about it tbh.

And does the 30% performance improvement rely solely on overclocking?

So it looks like this is the build I'll be going with. Is there anything else I need to buy/have, in order to complete the build myself? I presume all the necessary cables etc will be included, and that no special tools are required?

Item|Price
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€67.30
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€93.44
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.79
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.67
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€284.19
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.99
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€17.25
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil|€48.64

Total build price: €655.27 + shipping €30

Out of curiosity, how much do you think a build like this would set me back if it was bought pre-assembled?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think 2 Sata cables aswell, they're like 60 cents each! Just in case, you know? When I ordered mine (last week!) they offered €20 to put it together, definitely an excellent deal if u don't wanna fiddle around with it.

What speakers do u have, and are u decided on the case?

Also will u be gaming on it? Just wondering with the SSD as opposed to say a 2TB HDD.

Priori wrote: »
    So it looks like this is the build I'll be going with. Is there anything else I need to buy/have, in order to complete the build myself? I presume all the necessary cables etc will be included, and that no special tools are required?

Item|Price
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€67.30
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€93.44
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.79
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.67
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€284.19
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.99
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€17.25
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil|€48.64
    Total build price: €655.27 + shipping €30

Out of curiosity, how much do you think a build like this would set me back if it was bought pre-assembled?

From Dell, about €1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What speakers/monitors will you be hooking up to it out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If it's for music an external soundcard is gona be where it's at for that www.musicstore.de has some bundles of monitors and soundcards and stuff packaged together

firewire connectivity would be a + too

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think 2 Sata cables aswell, they're like 60 cents each! Just in case, you know? When I ordered mine (last week!) they offered €20 to put it together, definitely an excellent deal if u don't wanna fiddle around with it.

Also will u be gaming on it? Just wondering with the SSD as opposed to say a 2TB HDD.

Cool. At what point in the process do they offer to put it together for you? Is it something you tick at checkout?

Have a pair of Yamaha HS50M monitors, and am very happy with the choice of case. The 4 USB connections at the top are just what I need and the design will fit in perfectly with everything else.

I won't be gaming at all. How many gigs does Win 7 take up do you know? I had never heard of an SSD before asking about the build on this forum.
    -=al=- wrote: »
    If it's for music an external soundcard is gona be where it's at for that www.musicstore.de has some bundles of monitors and soundcards and stuff packaged together

firewire connectivity would be a + too

Thanks. I have an edirol USB audio interface which I'm happy with.

Chuck this in your basket, and they'll build it:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

How many gigs does Win 7 take up do you know?

Around the 15-20GB mark.

Cool. At what point in the process do they offer to put it together for you? Is it something you tick at checkout?

That's right, after you click 'order' your pieces, it'll offer services. on my comp it was just "do u want us to build it for €20?" and you can add that if you want, then they'll give you your order # and await your bank transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I second this question to you if you wouldnt mind, Seems slightly unusual to pick a small super fast disk as opposed to a gigantic fast disk if its for music production. Two 1TB would give great speed at 7,200 and provides a 1800GB+ more room.

theTinker wrote: »
    I second this question to you if you wouldnt mind, Seems slightly unusual to pick a small super fast disk as opposed to a gigantic fast disk if its for music production. Two 1TB would give great speed at 7,200 and provides a 1800GB+ more room.

Do you really need all that room for music production though? I mean, music files just aren't that big. I mean filling 40GB with music you're talking about what, 5 days of music with WAV files? Probably 10-15 with FLAC? (got my numbers all wrong in my head, I'm waaay off here) Off the top of my head of course.

Speaking as someone who's never done music production. :)

As you mentioned there, compressed mp3s are small - if you're an audiophile that listens to uncompressed wavs or FLAC music then multiply that by 10. If you're creating music you might have hundreds/thousands of these tracks. You'd run out of room pretty quick; unless you're keeping them on another drive....in which case, buy another drive lol.

to me i can't justify the file size for the increase in quality of wav/flac but i'd imagine it means the world for people that produce music.

As you mentioned there, compressed mp3s are small - if you're an audiophile that listens to uncompressed wavs or FLAC music then multiply that by 10. If you're creating music you might have hundreds/thousands of these tracks. You'd run out of room pretty quick; unless you're keeping them on another drive....in which case, buy another drive lol.

to me i can't justify the file size for the increase in quality of wav/flac but i'd imagine it means the world for people that produce music.

I think you have to work with FLAC in music production, if not WAV? My thinking was that you don't need all the music you've ever worked on on your main drive all the time and you can get away with an external drive or whatever as storage down the line.

*shrugs*

I'm asking out of curiosity mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

WAV at 16 bit 44.1 kHz is about ten times the size of mp3, 24bit 96kHz 30 times an mp3. These are the formats most people would use. Remembering that you may have a huge amount of tracks recording, often up to 50 or 100 for a full band recording with layered overdubs.

selephonic wrote: »
    WAV at 16 bit 44.1 kHz is about ten times the size of mp3, 24bit 96kHz 30 times an mp3. These are the formats most people would use. Remembering that you may have a huge amount of tracks recording, often up to 50 or 100 for a full band recording with layered overdubs.

So 40GB is 68 hours of audio at 16/44.1 and 20 odd hours at 24/96. That should be sufficient for one album's worth of work? (curious)

Hi guys,

I agree that 64gb is too small for storage - I mentioned in my OP that I already have a 1 TB internal hard drive which I plan to use in conjunction with new system.

My understanding is that the SSD will speed up the OS and my program files, while any large sample files/other .wav files can be streamed from the 1TB HD.

^ Yes, that's right.

Advertisement