Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Comments

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, last time I bought something in GS was LA Noire last year. I preordered it over the phone and they asked if I would be in Friday morning to collect it. I said ya, as soon as they open (as I had the day off and was mad to play it). He said "Oh....you're one of THOSE..hehe". I said sorry? and he said, "you know...someone who comes in for a game 1st thing on release day." You mean a gamer :confused: Condescending Pri*k! F*ck Gamestop!

seems a bit harsh id imagine he was just trying to have a bit of banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bricks n mortar shops going under when it comes to content that can be received easily online.

Its been said for years, and this shouldnt be a shock to anyone.

Movies, music, games, books....its mroe conviniant, less hasle and cheaper to purchase and receive through online retailers and platforms like amazon,Steam etc.

Yeah its kinda sad to hear, I used to work in Game, but its progression, its evolution. And for how long really were these stores going to be left going as they were anyway, with the gaming industry wanting to clamp down on second hand sales.

And while there is some genuine concern for those with poor internet access, it is 2012. We are in a country with poor network infrastructure for sure, but not prehistoric. Lobby a TD, look into alternatives.

But the industry is well and truely moving digital and I for one welcome it.

*My Diablo 3 copy came part of the Wow annual pass deal. This was bought back in like October last year. No panic, no going into a shop, its just a done deal. And the Blizzard store is a prime example of how the platform can work well. PRoducts are cheaper then any walk in store, high bandwidth for quick downloads and just conviniant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Game on the other hand, well the lads in Limerick seem to have a great interest in games and have been working there years so it's bad they may be out of the job. Saying that, Game have the worst prices and trade in prices I've ever seen.

I know the lads fairly well as I used to work there myself for a couple of stints. Will be sad if it goes. Have a lot of memories there. I remember we used to call the old manager Fathead, and the assistant manager scrawled it in massive writing across the floor in marker and covered it with a display. It was all hidden until it was moved during a stocktake! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah theres a difference between the friendly banter I get from HMV than the 'I'm too cool for gaming' attitude I get from some GS staff. Anyway, there's enough hate of GS on these boards already :)

Chrislad, the lads in Game get any word whats going to happen? I'm guessing it would be like most places and you would find out if you were redundant on the Internet before finding out from management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TheDoc wrote: »
    And the Blizzard store is a prime example of how the platform can work well. PRoducts are cheaper then any walk in store, high bandwidth for quick downloads and just conviniant

Eh where are you getting this garbage from? Diablo 3 is costing 60 euro on the Blizzard store as compared to 40 on the GS website and probably 50 in store. Its the same with Old Republic and Battlefield 3 on origin, physical copies were selling for at least 10-15 euros cheaper than they were on origin.

Just because they should be cheaper digitally doesnt mean they ever are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ah theres a difference between the friendly banter I get from HMV than the 'I'm too cool for gaming' attitude I get from some GS staff. Anyway, there's enough hate of GS on these boards already :)

Chrislad, the lads in Game get any word whats going to happen? I'm guessing it would be like most places and you would find out if you were redundant on the Internet before finding out from management.

Nothing, just rumours. I found about about suppliers not giving them games before they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd imagine you're right. I'd imagine they're forbidden from commenting on the situation online anywhere, too. Which I'd also imagine is deeply frustrating.

Ya, last time I bought something in GS was LA Noire last year. I preordered it over the phone and they asked if I would be in Friday morning to collect it. I said ya, as soon as they open (as I had the day off and was mad to play it). He said "Oh....you're one of THOSE..hehe". I said sorry? and he said, "you know...someone who comes in for a game 1st thing on release day." You mean a gamer :confused: Condescending Pri*k! F*ck Gamestop!

Game on the other hand, well the lads in Limerick seem to have a great interest in games and have been working there years so it's bad they may be out of the job. Saying that, Game have the worst prices and trade in prices I've ever seen.

I went into town today to trade in some games against a Vita and found HMV were the most helpful and offered the best price. They also had the best deal on the machine.

They guy I spoke to in gamestop was a bit of a dick, he kept asking why I was trading in games and where I got them from. When he saw I had Mass Effect 3 (got a gift of it on Xbox today) and Grand Slam Tennis 2 to trade in he told me that it was "dodgy" that I had both to trade in and asked me if I "could prove they belonged to me". Have to say I was rather taken aback and asked him if he impllied that everyone who had traded in Mass Effect 3 may have stolen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'd imagine you're right. I'd imagine they're forbidden from commenting on the situation online anywhere, too. Which I'd also imagine is deeply frustrating.

When he called about my ME3 preorder, the manager of GAME Limerick expressed his hope that it was temporary setback. I really hope he's right!

Closures are coming though: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-game-store-closure-letters-go-out-to-customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr. K wrote: »
    When he called about my ME3 preorder, the manager of GAME Limerick expressed his hope that it was temporary setback. I really hope he's right!

Closures are coming though: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-game-store-closure-letters-go-out-to-customers

Was in the one in Ilac Center this morning, it was staffed by 2 girls I don't recall ever seeing there, and based on the level of stock on the shelves it didn't look good for them.

On a related note, I was in a few places today, hmv game stop etc. and I might just be imagining things here but many places seem to have reduced the shelf space given to both new and used games, the selection in HMV on Henry St was much small than the last time I was in there.

Gamestop was same mas it ever was though.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Was in the one in Ilac Center this morning, it was staffed by 2 girls I don't recall ever seeing there, and based on the level of stock on the shelves it didn't look good for them.

On a related note, I was in a few places today, hmv game stop etc. and I might just be imagining things here but many places seem to have reduced the shelf space given to both new and used games, the selection in HMV on Henry St was much small than the last time I was in there.

Gamestop was same mas it ever was though.

HMV in Galway have moved all the second hand PS3 and 360 games to the same shelving as new releases. I'd say at least a third of the display has been cut back. They've put headphones and other audio related devices in the spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Was in the Galway one today, there was 4 staff on at least (2 too many for the amount of customers) Didnt see anything of note in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Guy selling the Sharpshooter for PS3 on adverts for €30,claims it still has a €49.99 price tag on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

ive worked in game and gamestop over the past 8 years (parkway and cruises street) gamestop have gone to the dogs aswell bar william street in limerick who have some great staff ill be very sad to see game go if tony and the lads get shafted, when i was in their they said they wernt being told anything really just the odd email here and there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

They guy I spoke to in gamestop was a bit of a dick, he kept asking why I was trading in games and where I got them from. When he saw I had Mass Effect 3 (got a gift of it on Xbox today) and Grand Slam Tennis 2 to trade in he told me that it was "dodgy" that I had both to trade in and asked me if I "could prove they belonged to me". Have to say I was rather taken aback and asked him if he impllied that everyone who had traded in Mass Effect 3 may have stolen it.

WTF thats an absolute disgrace tbh! Did you ask for a manager? I wouldn't let that go.

Whatever about Game or any of their other competitors, I've never liked Gamestop. Their return policies seem specifically geared to screw over customers, their staff invariably look disinterested and apathetic, and their training and information is always sketchy. On the rare occasion you do see a manager, they're always eating the head off somebody. You very rarely see the same person there twice, week to week, and that's never a good sign.

Guy selling the Sharpshooter for PS3 on adverts for €30,claims it still has a €49.99 price tag on it.

6.99 in store. Picked one up today and it still has the 49.99 sticker on it. Had dozens of them in Game in Galway, unfortunately HMV don't take them back in trade in.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    WTF thats an absolute disgrace tbh! Did you ask for a manager? I wouldn't let that go.

He was the manager. Put me right off ever going back in there or any gamestop store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Whatever about Game or any of their other competitors, I've never liked Gamestop. Their return policies seem specifically geared to screw over customers, their staff invariably look disinterested and apathetic, and their training and information is always sketchy. On the rare occasion you do see a manager, they're always eating the head off somebody. You very rarely see the same person there twice, week to week, and that's never a good sign.

One here in Dundalk is grand, staff are friendly and up for a chat. It's pretty small though, usually just 3 staff around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

Went into GAME today and tried to buy a 3 months xbox live subscription... all sold out they said :confused: ... just making banter i said "when will you get them back in?" ... they said "we don't know sorry"

Couldnt help but think of this thread and the current issue GAME has. Surely the lack of pre-paid xbox live cards is related to their recent credit issue right?

CarlsBurg wrote: »
    Went into GAME today and tried to buy a 3 months xbox live subscription... all sold out they said :confused: ... just making banter i said "when will you get them back in?" ... they said "we don't know sorry"

Couldnt help but think of this thread and the current issue GAME has. Surely the lack of pre-paid xbox live cards is related to their recent credit issue right?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11139-GAME--Microsoft-and-Activision-Latest-Suppliers-to-Drop.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

Thanks for the link :) It truly is the end of GAME. Who would of thought it. Then again in recession, any business going bust isn't shocking.

But why do GAME have such a big display shelf with pre-paid xbox live cards :confused: Like, the shelf I picked up the display case from today wasnt small. Surely you think they would be down-playing the loss in stock they can sell ... fill them up with more pre-owned stuff, random video game merch or what have you :confused:

Just saw the ad on adverts for the sharp shooter for 30. The seller has 3 ads for new and sealed accessories with the Game price sticker still on them, shame that he removed the sale sticker and is trying to rip people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They were doing 75% on trade ins yesterday. Would have been interested, but their was nothing there I fancied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What price are the move controllers/nav/camera going for?

They were 20 quid a while ago if I recall(the move wands) don't know now. I got aliens vs predators, and far cry 2 in there for 5.50 yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

caspa307 wrote: »
    From the EG article...
    It should be noted that these store closures are part of already announced plans made by GAME Group to shut 35 of its shops.

The chain currently has 610 outlets, which it intends to reduce to 550 by Christmas 2013. These latest closures are a part of this.
    This is very much required to be honest. Where I live there's currently both a GAME and a Gamestation right across the street from each other and that's by no means the only example of this across the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

anyone know if there still doing the 75% trade in's ?

blobby360 wrote: »
    anyone know if there still doing the 75% trade in's ?

Not anymore, went in on Friday to check the trade in price of some games and initially they were giving me the 75% but when it came time to pay the balance I was told that the manager had said that the 75% offer had ended that morning.

• Advertisement

Thats good of them :rolleyes:

Advertisement