Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There will be a piece on the RTE news soon,

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

FutureGuy wrote:
    Heck I even thought about buying 5 copies of ME3 with my credit in CeX Dublin and trade it back to Game for equal value just to help them get stock.

Wish I could tell you what you sound like but I'll refrain. Superman to the rescue eh? Get real man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Andy!! wrote: »
    FutureGuy wrote:
    Heck I even thought about buying 5 copies of ME3 with my credit in CeX Dublin and trade it back to Game for equal value just to help them get stock.

Wish I could tell you what you sound like but I'll refrain. Superman to the rescue eh? Get real man.

Yeah berate for trying my best to help. Stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LoganIn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OK now you're you really beginning to piss me off. You were rude and yet I answered your questions openly and honestly.

I couldn't care what Game as a company think about me, and I wouldn't expect them to. I care about the fact that alot of good people were in danger of losing their jobs, and that there might have been a chance that store closures were on a location-by-location basis.

Thanksfully, I'm in a financial position that I don't care about losing a fiver in trade-in value or placing preorders at my local store even though they are a little more expensive (like I did with MW3 Hardened Edition and Street Fighter v Tekken Limited Edition with GAME).

The fact that you think my actions were driven only by greed is fcuking pathetic tbh.

You say your in a good financial position. Well why didnt you buy your vita when trading in ME3? Then and there? why didnt you?

You didnt because you wanted to wait for a sale and use your credit to go against buying a cheaper vita. You took a gamble. A foolish gamble (trusting companies going under) It didnt pay off.

Whos opinion is really pathetic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

LoganIn wrote: »
    You say your in a good financial position. Well why didnt you buy your vita when trading in ME3? Then and there? why didnt you?

You didnt because you wanted to wait for a sale and use your credit to go against buying a cheaper vita. You took a gamble. A foolish gamble (trusting companies going under) It didnt pay off.

Yours? He didn't fancy buying a vita there and then. He's be shopping at Game for a number of years. He decided to trade in there to help them, and himself. Doesn't make him greedy or stupid really does it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LoganIn

... :pac:
    FutureGuy should of helped GAME.
    Those 5 copies of ME3 would of helped their £180 million pound debt.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Staff sit-in planned according to RTE, GAME wont provide their full redundancy

Full list of apparently closed stores

GAME

Croydon
    Bristol Cabot Circus
    Bath Southgate
    Milton Keynes Midsummer Place
    Coventry West Orchards
    Norwich
    Bromley
    Exeter
    Plymouth New George Street
    Bournemouth Commercial Road
    Birmingham Palisades
    York City Centre
    Liverpool
    Telford - both stores
    Manchester Arndale - both stores
    Burton-on-Trent
    Birmingham Fort
    Canterbury
    Falkirk
    Stevenage
    Blackburn
    Glasgow Buchanan Galeries
    Reading Oracle
    Basingstoke
    Barrow
    Bridlington
    Weston Super Mare
    Stockton on Tees Wellington Square
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh Ocean Terminal
    Edinburgh Princes Street
    Stirling
    Portsmouth Cascades
    Cardiff Queen Street
    Dorchester
    Gloucester
    Preston Fishergate
    Slough
    Glasgow Sauchiehall Street
    Isle of Wight
    Northampton
    Galway
    London Victoria
    Dublin Dundrum
    Sheffield City Centre
    Lincoln Valentine Retail Park
    Essex Lakeside - both stores
    Barking
    Nottingham Listergate
    Edingburgh Cameron Toll
    Edinburgh Fort Kinaird
    Leeds Albion Street
    Monoghan
    Gretna
    Crawley - both stores
    Hemel Hemstead - both stores
    Belfast
    Newcastle - Fenwicks and Eldon Square
    Grantham
    Meadowhall
    Manchester Trafford Centre (upper level)
    Crewe
    Macclesfield
    Hanley Stoke-on-Trent (both stores)
    Liffey Valley
    Blanchardstown
    Birkenhead
    Rochdale
    Blackpool
    Barnstaple
    Aylesbury
    Dudley Merry Hill
    Newport
    Bangor
    Sunderland
    Yeovil
    Winchester
    Barnet
    North Finchley
    Brent Cross
    Burnley

GAMESTATION

Birmingham New Street
    Sutton
    Enfield
    Bromley
    Llaneli
    Sunderland
    Norwich
    Great Yarmouth
    Taunton
    Ilford
    Cumbernauld
    Coventry
    Hyde
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Liverpool
    Shrewsbury
    Stafford
    Leicester
    Skelmersdale
    Perth
    Halesowen
    Walsall
    Gainsborough
    Harlow
    Dumbarton
    Cannock
    Kettering
    Stockton on Tees High Street
    Salisbury
    Hartlepool
    Stevenage
    Nuneaton
    Cheltenham
    High Wycombe
    Glasgow Sauchiehall Street
    Hastings
    Long Eaton
    Leamington Spa
    Norwich
    London East Ham
    Rhyl
    Mansfield
    Hereford
    Banbury
    Middlesbrough
    Leeds
    Basildon
    Congleton
    Fife Glenrothes
    Preston
    Newcastle
    Dundee
    Meadowhall
    Bolton
    Wolverhampton
    Maidstone
    Andover
    Swansea
    Woolwich
    Crawley
    Grimsby
    Woking
    Cheltenham
    Luton

Again not true. I had more games at home I wanted to trade in after deciding I would geta Vita that day, which makes more financial sense than paying cash.

You're making a complete idiot of yourself with your comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Don't be such a dcik dude

Just saw the piece on RTE News and its obvious staff did not know this was coming. The manager of the Blanch branch spoke of a sit in.. Now I reckon this would be one of the most support sit ins EVER :D

• Advertisement

Ilac and Dawson street appear to be closed. If they shut without habing a firesale I'll not be pleased... cnuts.

And you have the gall to pull me up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cloud493 wrote: »
    Partial list of apparently closed stores...

FYP;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nip it in the bud now, guys.... back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

By that list the stores in Tallaght,Ilac and Dawson street are still ok for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

By that list the stores in Tallaght,Ilac and Dawson street are still ok for now.

No, ILAC is definitely closed. Walked by there myself today, lights were on, shutters were down and there was just a simple 'CLOSED' sign posted on the window.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Please no more talk about Game 'stealing' from you. If you deal in credit you are at risk of bad debts and if you deal in credit with a company that is about to go into administration than you're playing with fire. That's just business. End of.

I don't want to lock this thread but anymore non constructive discussion and warnings and infractions will be handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Gone here in galway. I read an article a short while ago that its rumoured all the irish stores are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0326/game.html

Looks pretty bad for Irish stores. Though i can't see *all* of them going permanetly. There is still a market there but much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

you were going to buy 5 copies lol.
    dude, its a business. game dont care about you. as long as you kept buying games thats all they cared about ... your store credit as well as everyone elses dont mean jack to them now.

look i dont mean to come off as rude but countless companies have gone bust shafting people. stuff like this will happen over and over again. you cant trust a company thats going under.

logan andy clearly your not in limerick, because if you were then you would know that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the guys and girls in game cruises street do their absouloute ****ing best to help out customers, and they had a handwritten sign looking for copies of ME3 so they could help the people that had the game on deposit! obviously you both have had a bad experiece with game but that dosent mean all the staff in thier deserve to be treated like ****! nor do customers like future that tried to help them out! BTW i traded in a copy of mass effect 3 to them and got the credit and i still have it, but you know hat its 30 euro yes its a small amount compared to others but the staff member that gave me 30 euro now has nothing to live on till the goverment decides they can be arsed to pay him and at that he probably wont get anything because of partial redundancy so paul who has worked in game for 13 yearsand has just had a new baby now gets nothing tell me how your problems are bigger?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

FutureGuy wrote:

You're making a complete idiot of yourself with your comments.

Such irony.
    Your avatar really suits you.

Also why can a mod call someone an idiot but when a poster does this it means an infraction?

Anybody that's saying the had no intention of capitalising on the shut down is lying. And anyone who is claiming they were trying to save the company is even worse lol.

I explained quite clearly SuperFutureMan why I felt that way about the staff. You wouldn't find a clerk in Cineworld that didn't know about upcoming movies, etc. Gamers aren't getting fired. The majority of staff there would actually look down on us as nerds. I know two girls who work in Game stores. Theyve never played games in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wonder have Gamestop bought the Irish stores or at least their stock,might explain the actions taken today.

Such irony.
    Your avatar really suits you.

Also why can a mod call someone an idiot but when a poster does this it means an infraction?

Anybody that's saying the had no intention of capitalising on the shut down is lying. And anyone who is claiming they were trying to save the company is even worse lol.

I explained quite clearly SuperFutureMan why I felt that way about the staff. You wouldn't find a clerk in Cineworld that didn't know about upcoming movies, etc. Gamers aren't getting fired. The majority of staff there would actually look down on us as nerds. I know two girls who work in Game stores. Theyve never played games in their lives.

Wow, just wow. I'm not lying my friend. I'm unsure why you don't take my words at face value? And your description of Game staff, especially in my store, is incredibly inaccurate. Also, I never said I was trying to save the company.

I remember, when I was younger(being from Liverpool) I could get to... 3 gamestations, and 4 Games in a single bus ride. Bit silly really :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andy!! infracted. Don't give me another reason to do so.

It's really sad if these guys don't get their full redundancy tbh.

so people have known that the company was in serious trouble for the last month and that they went into administration last week and now that they closed down they stole your credit this was clearly coming if you have game credit left thats on you

Right, onto something more positive....

What were your favourite memories of GAME?

As stated earlier, seeing the PS1 for the first time on a giant 50-60 inch screen was epic.

Also, playing Super Mario 64 for the very first time in there was pretty memorable!

I can remember buying trading cards in there in the early 90's when they were way cheaper than in other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MagicMoose

MCV reports all Irish stores closed. I would have thought at least some of them would be viable. Are they really all unprofitable? I don't see how it makes sense to close an outlet if it makes money.

Though saying that, the Cork city store has been conspicuously quiet for some time now. A Gamestop is about 100 yards away and seems a lot busier.

I never had much interest in either outlet though. They're too expensive. I can see the benefit of buying a console there in case it is fault and needs replacing, but for games you can shop online and get exactly the same title for 20 or 30% less.

I liked the grafton street store, although I do remember some of the muppet staff in there convincing a girl to get an Xbox because Halo was on it while she kept telling them her favourite games were survival horror and that she wanted to get the next resident evil, Resi 4 was out in a month of GC. My argumentative self couldn't let that one slide :P

• Advertisement

I recall in the.. whenever mario kart DS came out, I'd bought some crappy spyro for the DS. And I was going to Game to trade it in for mario, got like, £15 credit. I was kind of upset. Young, you know. The chap in there gave me a one to one exchange (my spyro for mario kart) :D

Advertisement