Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

The ones in Blanch were **** to me.When I tried to return a ps3 they told me no even thought it still had 10 months warranty.Then they ran out of the pre owned 60 gig ps3.Then had to 60 euro to get another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

The ones in Blanch were **** to me.When I tried to return a ps3 they told me no even thought it still had 10 months warranty.Then they ran out of the pre owned 60 gig ps3.Then had to 60 euro to get another one

I wouldn't be posting this in public. It shows you in more of a bad light than Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

gubbie wrote: »
    Are they sitting in or did they just leave the lights on?

Sitting in. All the stores are sitting in.

...I assume this was deliberate move on the managers part so as to dissuade employees utilizing their staff discount.

That is a particularly daft and baseless assumption.

Considering how little the average employee in these stores knows about games it makes a lot of sense. As I said I'm friendly with numerous people who work in the stores and not one would be anything approaching a gamer. I cant count the number of times I've heard a member of staff tell someone information that was completely false. A few weeks back I was told by a GameStop employee that Mario would soon be available on the Vita. I heard a manager in one store tell a woman that GTA was fine for her 10 year old son and that the only reason it was rated 18 was because there were guns in it. there was the time in GameStop where the girl told me that the 3DS would be no good to me as I wore glasses.

Don't get me wrong there are done hardcore gamers working in these shops but the vast majority seem up know next to nothing about gaming and their lack of expertise in the area is proof.

Others have said it on this thread but there have been times where members of staff have made insulting remarks about the fact that I'd be in on launch day to get a new release as soon as the shop opened. It's the reason that when I go in to grab a game in my local stores I'll walk out if certain members of staff are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Does anybody know which stores in the north are still trading?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I feel sorry for the way that the workers are being treated yet again. Not condoning any action but I can see quite a lot of stock not finding its way back to the warehouse.

Really going to miss them, for some PC gaming. HMV do not do any and Gamestop are terrible. I do not like downloading as paying full price for a digital download, having to use my own bandwidth is a rip off. I know that I can order online and I often do, but I always liked the opportunity to browse and pick something up randomly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Has the company actually stated that the there will no redundancy? I'm wondering as there is a legal requirement for redundancy but obviously that becomes less important to Game when the company folds.

However because of that requirement afaik the employees redundancy will then be counted as one of the payments that is required to be cleared by administrators.

I'm not 100% sure but it would be the way I would assume it works. Unfortunately I'm in work at the moment and any of the sites I check regarding company and employee laws are blocked :rolleyes:

I don't want to belittle anyone's suffering. It's hard time for the people involved but I think jumping to the conclusion that there is no redundancy isn't helping. The company went into administration yesterday and unfortunately it takes time for these things to be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

RTE said Game will give employee's 30% redundancy and to go to the government for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rynndar

Orim wrote: »
    Has the company actually stated that the there will no redundancy?

Categorically: Yes. Store managers were informed yesterday morning that the company intended not to make any payments relating to redundancy.
    A few weeks back I was told by a GameStop employee that Mario would soon be available on the Vita. I heard a manager in one store tell a woman that GTA was fine for her 10 year old son and that the only reason it was rated 18 was because there were guns in it. there was the time in GameStop where the girl told me that the 3DS would be no good to me as I wore glasses.

You do know the difference between "GAME" and "GameStop", yes? The people you are complaining about still have a job. Enjoy shopping with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Was GAME Ireland a seperate legal entity to the UK business which has been kept open? Or are they all the one company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rynndar

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Was GAME Ireland a seperate legal entity to the UK business which has been kept open? Or are they all the one company?

They are the same entity albeit operating under Irish laws. Irish employees were paid by the British company. GAME holds no administrative premises in Ireland. They operate from Basingstoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Really going to miss them, for some PC gaming. HMV do not do any and Gamestop are terrible. I do not like downloading as paying full price for a digital download, having to use my own bandwidth is a rip off. I know that I can order online and I often do, but I always liked the opportunity to browse and pick something up randomly

Browse for PC games? I bet that took all of 2 minutes. Half a shelf is what most Game stores had for PC in the end and they where at console prices in most cases. Becuase of there prices and lack of stock, this PC gamer mainly used digital stores or ordered from websites. I feel sorry for the staff losing there jobs, but not for a company that forgot about PC gamers in favor of second hand console sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Browse for PC games? I bet that took all of 2 minutes. Half a shelf is what most Game stores had for PC in the end and they where at console prices in most cases. Becuase of there prices and lack of stock, this PC gamer mainly used digital stores or ordered from websites. I feel sorry for the staff losing there jobs, but not for a company that forgot about PC gamers in favor of second hand console sales.

In all fairness, what's the ratio on piracy of PC games to console games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

cloud493 wrote: »
    RTE said Game will give employee's 30% redundancy and to go to the government for the rest.

They can get statutory redundancy from the Government if Game shaft them in it, but it does mean waiting 8 months or more due to the backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

chrislad wrote: »
    In all fairness, what's the ratio on piracy of PC games to console games?

Dunno, but I cant remember the last time that I played a game that was pirated. Steam took care of my gaming needs because i just don't need the shelf space taken up with physical copies, Unless it was a limited edition and Game never seemed to stock the limited editions that I was after so they went from having all of my business to having none of it, once steam was motoring.

Afaik, the majority of GAME stores in the republic were profitable, even after paying mad rents. Some UK stores are still trading, albeit under administration so it's hard to understand how they can get away with not paying redundancy but they can. PWC told staff yesterday that they won't get redundancy and to apply to the state - waiting time is a year.

I am sorry to see them go. Ultimately less competition means higher prices. They were always helpful to me in the Blanchardstown store, particularly that girl on the news. Hope they all find jobs and don't pack up and leave like so many of our young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Bambi wrote: »
    Dunno, but I cant remember the last time that I played a game that was pirated. Steam took care of my gaming needs because i just don't need the shelf space taken up with physical copies, Unless it was a limited edition and Game never seemed to stock the limited editions that I was after so they went from having all of my business to having none of it, once steam was motoring.

I used to pick up a lot of older games that were very hard to find, online.
    I do not like the downloads generally as I DO want the physical copies and do not like the cost of downloads.

I picked up Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 (and Rise of the Witch King) for a pittance in game a few months back.
    Same with Star Trek Armada 1&2.

Silly old games but some that I wanted to get my hands on for a while again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry, went to bed after I posted that pic. They were at the back of the shop. They're still in there apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hate going to HMV for games. The one on grafton street has shíte dance music playing downstairs. I'd rather pay a fiver more than have to shout to the guy I'm buying off. I always found the staff to be sound too.
    Dawson street was great for me because you could always park right outside and nip in to get a game. Yesterday on the list of stores closed Dawson street wasn't mentioned, now all irish stores are gone! Was driving past this morning and the shutters were half down with a "shop closed" handwritten sign in the window and a couple of people in suits walking around inside.
    nix wrote: »
    Oh they made the change to rip off customers years ago.. Lost alot of customers (any gamer with a brain), only income id say they made over the last few years was off clueless parents buying for their children..
    Bollocks. As Mr. Fixie's post proves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Sorry to see Game go :(

Used to frequently drop into Dundrum to browse and spent a lot of money in there.

Game used to price match aswell, which was great. HMV had stuff cheaper, but I still bought in Game as they gave it to me at HMVs prices. Sound bunch of guys who were always really helpful. Hope they all find something soon.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

MR FIXIE wrote: »
    As an EX-employee I wold like to address some of the people misconceptions about the company. GAME consistantly were cheaper than GAMESTOP for pre-owned titles and new releses.

False. New titles have been a fiver cheaper in GS for as long as I can remember. And it's not really great to brag that they had a more enticing prenowned service. The preowned business is more harmful to developers than piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

****e what am I gonna do with my 30 euro voucher I got recently :o Sad to see them go, for the last few years have always purchased any new release from the store in Athlone

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

3rdDegree wrote: »

I wouldn't be posting this in public. It shows you in more of a bad light than Game.

No it doesnt, consumers have the right to complain, and after all, we are 'sharing memories' right? So what, they can only be good ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

They just said on a Cork radio station that there is a sit in in the Patricks St. branch

I really liked that shop

GAME might not always have been the best on prices but they were certainly the shop I preferred. Nice shops and comfortable to have browse. Didn't always have the most knowledgable staff but they beat the others hands down.

They also didn't seem to push the buy pre-owned and disc insurance as much. You might get asked once but you didn't have to fight to buy a new game with no disc insurance like in Gamestop.

And they might not have had a massive PC stock but iirc they were the only shop that had anything of a PC selection. I picked up many a gem in a GAME for a pittance. It was a staff member that recommended I pick up Deus Ex. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are the staff still getting paid. Just went pass the one in athlone and all the staff are sitting in the store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

cena wrote: »
    Are the staff still getting paid. Just went pass the one in athlone and all the staff are sitting in the store.

Doubt it. People generally don't get paid to protest

Andy!! wrote: »
    No it doesnt, consumers have the right to complain, and after all, we are 'sharing memories' right? So what, they can only be good ones?

It does show him in a bad light as he is complaining about GAME not honouring another companies warranty and then he complains about them running out of stock. The last part makes no sense to me so I don't know if it's valid or not.
    cena wrote: »

No. The sit-in is a protest as they aren't getting redundancy and the general crapness of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Rynndar wrote: »
    They are the same entity albeit operating under Irish laws. Irish employees were paid by the British company. GAME holds no administrative premises in Ireland. They operate from Basingstoke.

Yes they did. It was Henry St. Then Ilac briefly then it moved to Dawson St. I don't understand the ins-and-outs of company law but they were more seperate that you lead people to believe in your post hence PWC can just cut them loose.

EDIT: Read back a bit for what you can do with your Gift/Reward Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Game on Patrick st in Cork
    (twitter pic)
    http://t.co/ZZWW5F5h

Advertisement