Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Comments

Have just spoken with a former GAME employee and he said the following:

Tonight 12 of the 13 stores (all except Galway) are occupied by staff who today could not get confirmation from PWC that they will be paid. They won't know until Friday morning at about 1.30am if they're going to be able to pay their mortgages, childcare, insurance & services bills this month. My thoughts are with them.

He also said:

1) All staff in Irish stores were convinced that the stores would remain trading because the majority of Irish shops were profitable.

2) Staff members including managers were officially told on Friday that they were in administration but that it looked good for their stores. Before this, despite centralised problems getting and passing on new stock, it was business as usual for staff, who were confident that as they trade profitably when they have stock, they would be sold as a going concern. They received no communication from their bosses whatsoever about the state of play before this. One major player tried to take them over but their bid failed to impress creditors. Then on Monday lunchtime an email was sent to each store pulling the plug. They were informed that PWC are calling the shots. Store staff did not sell or trade thinking they were closing, they traded on the basis they still had jobs.

Just one more thing and I'll stop - which I'm finding hard to do on this subject because i hate seeing this happen again and again to hard working young people...

On one occasion, I brought back a faulty DS but didn't have the receipt. The Blanch people went out of her way to help me find proof of purchase on their system. While I was there getting sorted, I saw them refuse a refund to a very obnoxious guy who had bought an XBox up north, didn't have a receipt or proof of purchase, and was missing some stuff out of the box. Have never heard such abuse being thrown at kids. They even offered an exchange if he'd buy the missing bit which would cost a fiver which I thought was generous. I remember thinking that I'm glad that's not my offspring he's shouting at because I wouldn't have been able to stop myself. After the ?'man' finally left, still shouting threats, the youngster was visibly shaking but remained composed. I asked her if she was ok, she said that they got that kind of thing all of the time but you don't get used to it. I hope they all find new jobs where they will be appreciated instead of having to put up with that treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

darokane wrote: »
    It would be very sill seeing as they are both owned by the same people:p

No they're not. GAME are British, GameStop are American. You're mixing up GameStop and GameStation (which is/was owned by GAME).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Rynndar wrote: »
    Yes they did. It was Henry St. Then Ilac briefly then it moved to Dawson St. I don't understand the ins-and-outs of company law but they were more seperate that you lead people to believe in your post hence PWC can just cut them loose.

I do understand the "in's and out's" of this company.

The addresses you list all belonged to stores, not single-purpose administrative premises. These addresses were used to report sales figures, which were reported from Basingstoke. Those figures require a "primary place of trading", which was attributed to said addresses. "Trading"... not "administration". The company was not [and is still not] run from Ireland.

This is not something I am "leading you to believe". It is a fact from someone who *is* informed on a matter you confess to *not* being informed about.

Feel free to ignore it as you have already.

All as I know is a limited company in Ireland had its company registered in the stores I have described with there own support staff employed and workin there. Beyond that I bow to your superior knowledge of company law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stoofer

About a decade ago, I won an xbox game in a online comp. (think it was Xtreme-G Racing)
    I didn't have an xbox though, so I tried chancing my arm and took it into Virgin in Cork to exchange it for a PS2 game but, without a receipt, they gave me short shrift.

A little disconsolate, I trundled across Daunt Sq to Game in Patrick St, where I'd at least get something for trading it in, even if it was a fraction of what it was worth.

I approached the counter, asking if I could trade in this game, which I proceeded to take out of the Virgin Megastore bag I was carrying it in. As the fella behind the counter was asking me how come it was still sealed, I could see out of the corner of my eye the store security guard edging closer.

I was a little taken aback but I could see where they were coming from, thinking it was some five-finger discount. Fortunately, the store manager (think she was Australian) was walking past and I explained to her how I won it in an online comp. and didn't have an xbox and she said since it was still sealed, they'd add it in to their stock and I could take any game to the same value. Pro Evo 2 for the PS2, which I desperately wanted, was right behind me on the shelves and so I plucked that out and they even threw in a copy of Championship Manager Quiz that was on offer with it.

So, a very happy memory for me courtesy of GAME :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

All as I know is a limited company in Ireland had its company registered in the stores I have described with there own support staff employed and workin there. Beyond that I bow to your superior knowledge of company law.

For what it's worth you're 100% right that Game have a registered company here in Ireland.

http://www.vision-net.ie/FreeIrishCompanyReport?companyNumber=903401&f=itn&companyName=GAME+%28STORES%29+LIMITED

For what it's worth you're 100% right that Game have a registered company here in Ireland.

http://www.vision-net.ie/FreeIrishCompanyReport?companyNumber=903401&f=itn&companyName=GAME+%28STORES%29+LIMITED

But the company in that link manufactures machinery and equipment, doesn't sell games at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I remember the days when Game was awesome... Getting a trade in on shadow on the hedgehog so metroid prime 2 was more or less free..... Buying my wii.... good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

susiespark wrote: »
    But the company in that link manufactures machinery and equipment, doesn't sell games at all :(

Could be a mistake in that sites listings or the articles of association for the company list these first (a lot of companies are formed with very wide ranging descriptions so that they can expand into other areas without legal difficulty)

Either way that is the listing for the Game company in Ireland. The thing is that administrators have been appointed to a range of companies which Game operated under.
    MJA Jervis and SD Maddison have been appointed as Joint Administrators of The GAME Group plc, Game Stores Group Limited, Gameplay (GB) Limited, Game (Stores) Limited, Games Station Limited, Game (Retail) Limited and Gamestation Limited on 26 March 2012 to manage their affairs, business and property as their agents and without personal liability.

In effect the staff saying that Game are still operating elsewhere are going to find that legally the Irish entity Game (Stores) Limited is being fully shut down and is not legally speaking operating elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Azza

Stevo105 wrote:
    That old myth has never been proven. I and all of the players in the clan im involved with all buy our PC games and have for years. There are a few kids on my street that can copy a wii game in 5 mins withut swaping of files or muching about with reg keys/ serial keys. Consoles are way easier to pirate than PC games today.

Not wanting to drag this far off topic but I couldn't let this one slide, because its so far from the truth.

Yes it has been proven.
    List of top pirated games in 2011.
    Figures are available going back a few years now, that show PC piracy is 3-5 times greater than on any single console. And it remains far easier to pirate PC games than console games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rynndar wrote: »

I was interested to read a comment on that page that said:
    As a Game Manager affected by these closures i do wonder why it is that so many people at head office were made redundant last week and a few weeks ago and each of these were paid redundancy. Yet the people who have worked their butts off for the business are stitched. Its bad enough that the company have lied to us. Then its worse that they "Take care of their own" and pay out and give notice to head office personnel but sod the staff in the shops. But then to make us clear out our own stores is demoralising and to make it all worse (as if they can) they tell us if we make a 'good job' of the store clearance we may get a £500 payment as a thank you (Store managers only)........ YET....... This too is rubbish. There is no money allocated to make this payment so it will never arrive. I for one cannot tolerate any more being treated like a fool. If they want my store keys let them come to my home and get them.

Shocking if it's true. Yet another case of management looking after themselves, and f**k the hard working employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

I just wanted to add my bit that I've always found the GAME staff in Cork to be very good. At the very least they were friendly. In 2003 as a 15 y/o child, I had the best shopping experience I've had on there which I always remember! Sad to see it go!

Quote:
    Sainsbury's increases new game stock, launches sale
    "Customers can be assured they can get the most popular games from us."

Hot on the heels of news that GAME has entered administration, closed 277 stores and laid-off 2000 staff, supermarket chain Sainsbury's has announced increased stock of new games and significant price cuts.

Shoppers can pick up the following discounts, among others, from tomorrow:

PlayStation 3 console: £164.99 (was £199.99)
    3DS console: £124.99 (was £149.99)
    FIFA 12: £26.99 (was £44.99)
    Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics Wii: £20.99 (£34.99)
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations: £17.99 (was £29.99)
    Final Fantasy 13-2: £14.99 (was £24.99)
    Just Dance 3: £14.99 (was £24.99)
    Mario Kart 7: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Super Mario 3DS Land: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics 3DS: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Black Eyed Peas Experience: £12.99 (was £17.99)

"Gaming is a key part of our entertainment offering so we are excited to be reducing prices by as much as 40% for this exclusive sale," said games manager Gurdeep Hunjan.

"Our breadth of offer is now bigger than ever before and customers can be assured that they can get the most popular games and consoles from us at outstanding value, whilst doing their weekly shop."

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Leo?

So, will there be clearance sales in these stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

dpe wrote: »
    No they're not. GAME are British, GameStop are American. You're mixing up GameStop and GameStation (which is/was owned by GAME).

Ahhhhhh that i am:o

Leo? wrote: »

No. Staff were instructed to pack up all stock and send it back to head office. For free!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/in-pictures-irish-game-sit-in/093419#comment-477713273

They refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Leo?

No. Staff were instructed to pack up all stock and send it back to head office. For free!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/in-pictures-irish-game-sit-in/093419#comment-477713273

They refused.

So what will happen to all their stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I always enjoyed going into Game in Blanch. The staff were always offering to help, I'll miss going in and having a browse.

Never liked GameStop.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

I wanted to see it with my own eyes;

gamec.jpg

I took this in The Ilac Centre at about 5 p.m. today. There were four or five dudes in there playing games on the big T.V. behind the counter. The shutters were down. There were people stopping to read the notices and looking at the angry birds picture that's been posted elsewhere.

I hope the staff stick to their guns. I'm angry knowing that there are hard working people loosing their jobs at GAME, inspite of the pleasant atmosphere and excellent customer care there, and also because they are my favourite gaming shop. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They refused.

Jesus if thats true it makes me sick.

I'm really very sorry this has happened. The main thing is the lost jobs, obviously, but i always liked having a browse in game. Pretty much checked it out anytime i was in the square/blanchardstown/liffey valley/dawson st/ilac centre. Certainly my favourite game shop. Not perfect by any means, but its becoming more apparent that there were serious questions over how it was run.

I have in recent years tried to buy from my local shops wherever possible. In the past twelve months i have had the following experiences in game, tallaght.
    -tried to pre order (at least three times!!) the skyward sword special remote bundle. Each time i was told they dont know whether or not they were getting it in. In the end i preordered it from gamestop. This also meant another lost sale in the shape of mario 3ds, which i bought at the same time. In fact, game dawson st said they would take the preorder, but couldnt transfer it to the tallaght branch.
    -had to ask where resident evil mercenaries was, as for some reason the single copy was hidden at the back of the 3ds games. This was on lauch day, after i had walked past a cardboard stand in the door of gamestop
    -had to go to dundrum to get gta chinatown wars on ds, as they were out of stock (to be fair, none of the other retailers in tallaght had it either).

So, out of three purchases of three of the biggest franchises in gaming, i got one in my local game.

Despite this, the staff were always brilliant. Genuinely tried to help. Great big thanks to the guy who explained the deal on ps2games that ended up in me getting a free pro evo for ps3, and the dude who explained all about wii and wii fit to my old man. You guys definitely dont deserve this.

Really am very disappointed by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Apparently the Cork sit in was on the news, can't find it on rte player though https://twitter.com/#!/VG247/status/184593836209741827

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It's disgusting behaviour from GAME. The Government need to step in and protect their electorate and fight for them.

I never shopped in GAME, or had any feelings towards the place either way but the way they are being treated is sickening. Good on them for fighting for what they are entitled for.

If it was me in their shoes and and the end of all this I was told I was still getting no redundancy I would fill my car with stock.

Disgusting, patronising behaviour....

So what will happen to all their stock?

Sold in the UK branches still operating, I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If I worked in game I would be selling the stock out of the shutters to get my money!!!

**** games owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If I worked in game I would be selling the stock out of the shutters to get my money!!!

**** games owners

Yeah! That's exactly what those newly-unemployed folks need, a prison sentence. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what'd happen if they opened the doors to the store and walked out, leaving them open for anyone to take what they wanted, when the closures were announced?

if the staff were told they were no longer being paid, then every one of them shouldve dropped what they were doing, gathered their belongings and left

leaving the keys on the desk, the money in the tills and everything as is

after all, they were told they were no longer employees right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cloud493 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Sainsbury's increases new game stock, launches sale
    "Customers can be assured they can get the most popular games from us."

Hot on the heels of news that GAME has entered administration, closed 277 stores and laid-off 2000 staff, supermarket chain Sainsbury's has announced increased stock of new games and significant price cuts.

Shoppers can pick up the following discounts, among others, from tomorrow:

PlayStation 3 console: £164.99 (was £199.99)
    3DS console: £124.99 (was £149.99)
    FIFA 12: £26.99 (was £44.99)
    Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics Wii: £20.99 (£34.99)
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations: £17.99 (was £29.99)
    Final Fantasy 13-2: £14.99 (was £24.99)
    Just Dance 3: £14.99 (was £24.99)
    Mario Kart 7: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Super Mario 3DS Land: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics 3DS: £27.99 (was £34.99)
    Black Eyed Peas Experience: £12.99 (was £17.99)

"Gaming is a key part of our entertainment offering so we are excited to be reducing prices by as much as 40% for this exclusive sale," said games manager Gurdeep Hunjan.

"Our breadth of offer is now bigger than ever before and customers can be assured that they can get the most popular games and consoles from us at outstanding value, whilst doing their weekly shop."

good offers,there's no sainsbury's in the republic?

Hey, its less than an hour to a sainsburys up North where I am ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hey, its less than an hour to a sainsburys up North where I am ;)

lucky you ;)

Advertisement