Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Currys has a bad selection/overpriced, so does PC world, I don't know where xtravision is, or symths, or havrvey normans.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Currys has a bad selection/overpriced, so does PC world, I don't know where xtravision is, or symths, or havrvey normans.

Xtravision is beside the drive thru mcdonalds. Smyths is over beside TK Maxx in the retail park. Harvey Normans is in the same retail park afaik. Smyths or Xtravision are probably your best bet. HMV are pretty good too.

HMV is very good. But in the centre, having only been there 2 or 3 times, my choice was primarily HMV or gamestop, and thats a fairly small gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

013dfda080ab11e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Looks like the limerick store. Have the staff packed up and gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Most likely, and yes it is (Cruises Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Any idea what the plan is for all the stock ?
    What did they do in the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Are there still sit ins happening? Had a look in the Blanch store a few days ago and couldn't see anyone

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Any idea what the plan is for all the stock ?
    What did they do in the UK ?

I'm sure it will go back to the UK car boot sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The Stock will be sold in the UK stores / sent back to suppliers for credit. This been said on several occations on this thread. Okay it is very long so maybe you didn't read back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 poiuytsam

It is very strange the amount of business that are in trouble , every market sector seems to be affected . It is really weird time , I suppose in one way we are living in. Historic time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Nolimits wrote: »
    Are there still sit ins happening? Had a look in the Blanch store a few days ago and couldn't see anyone

Most of the sit ins are off unfortunately. Slowly stores gave up and the whole sit in lost momentum. I personally wish it wasn't the case but our store called it quits last Friday. We still have all the stock locked up in the store and we still hold the keys to the store - we also let the shopping centre black out our windows.

I've been told that one or two stores are still occupied though.

Blanchardstown staff are still sitting in although hidden by hoardings. afaik Cork are still there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Most of the stores gave up the sit in Friday. I'm more than a little frustrated about it, to be honest, but a single person can't stage a sit in and even then, neither could a single store.

I understand people have bills to pay and that centres were starting to put on the pressure, but to me this was a serious moral issue and I felt we should have held our damn ground. What's to stop Gamestop and HMV or any other chain of the same breed pulling the same stunt now?

Personally, I was ready and willing to go the distance, but I don't have a partner or kids, so I suppose that was an easy thing for me to say. Still, having to walk out of that store on Friday was a very, very bitter pill to swallow and it's sitting very sour with me.

I would like to say, while I'm at it, because I know a lot of my customers were boardsies - Lord knows the centre we were in has given us its share of "characters", but it was a real pleasure to hit upon the odd person who was buying the ICO reissue rather than Fifa 32948233. While it was an ugly way for it all to end, I do have a lot of happy memories and the customers were a huge part of that. So I think I can speak for everybody in the store when I say cheers for all the support and good humour over the years, both before and after the sit in.

So long and thanks for all the fish, from all at Game Ilac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

poiuytsam wrote: »
    It is very strange the amount of business that are in trouble , every market sector seems to be affected . It is really weird time , I suppose in one way we are living in. Historic time

I thinks its called a recession...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

YouDontSayBlackWithTextSS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I passed the Game store in Limerick yesterday and was saddened to see the lads had packed up and left. Hope ye all get jobs soon guys. What Game have done to their Irish staff is disgraceful.
    I for one will not be buying from Game either instore or online again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

it was a real pleasure to hit upon the odd person who was buying the ICO reissue rather than Fifa 32948233.

I must've bought ICO/SOTC off of you so, as I had that exact conversation when buying the game in the Ilac shop :) best of luck for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Noticed the one in Galway closed at the weekend, that's pretty much the end of PC games in Galway.

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »
    I must've bought ICO/SOTC off of you so, as I had that exact conversation when buying the game in the Ilac shop :) best of luck for the future!

:D

I can't lie, I took the SOTC/Fifa thing personally. I stopped just short of chasing people through Dunnes yelling about how "all the colossi look a bit sad".

I had a good laugh with some girl in the ilac Game a few weeks or so ago, before the vita came out. I'l miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

it was a real pleasure to hit upon the odd person who was buying the ICO reissue rather than Fifa 32948233.

As it happens the ICO/SOTC Collection was the last thing I bought in Game (Mahon Point in Cork). I spent the last of my credit on it, I was a little sad doing it!

Hope the staff find new jobs soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Game on Patricks St. Cork is still occupied I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I couldn't tell if the Cork one was still going. I had a look in after work at 7 but I couldn't see anyone but there were still chairs sitting out. But then I didn't look very hard. The shutters were all nearly down which I couldn't remember if they were before. I suppose if it had finished, the shutters would all be completely down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not really. Ask someone 40+. This whole recession malarkey has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

but it was a real pleasure to hit upon the odd person who was buying the ICO reissue rather than Fifa 32948233.
    The ungrateful fsck I bought it for off ye gave up on the first level. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Ya the workers in Game on Patrick's St are still there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was walking down Cruises St on my lunch today and I thought I'd pop into GAME for a chat with the guys. Then I remembered. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NEScart

Personally, I am not suprised most of the stores gave up on the sit in.

You can't blame them too. Situations like these has happened time and time again over the years. Company closes down stores >> Won't pay redundancy >> Employees 'sit in' to dispute it >> Company doesn't care and plays the waiting game for people to get a pain in their balls OR company uses dirty tactics to forcefully remove the employees from stores.

Sadly the former GAME staff are just wasting their time. But of course within saying that why just bend over and take it up the ass.

Personally, I dont know if anyone agrees with me on this one but with every single job I ever had I never cared about the company. Don't get me wrong, I did my duites and what was asked of me, but beyond a paycheck I didnt give two sh*ts. I doubt my mentality will ever change but why should it :)

I know its just a joke but Kirk Van Houten from the simpsons was the best:

Kirk: "so after 20 years its so long and good luck?"
    Boss: "I don't recall saying goodluck"

Advertisement