Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinnmovies.ie charging me for free trial?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for advice here.
    I signed up for a 2 week free trial with superquinn movies and when I confirmed my account it had me listed as joining up for a gold account and had charged my bank account for it.
    I am 100% positive I selected free trial and I made sure to read every page carefully. I also know I didn't tick the wrong option as the gold membership was much further down the list (with 2 other cheaper options seperating them).
    I checked their policy and they do not charge for the free trial- they only charge if you don't cancel after the trial period.
    I emailed them straight away after it happened which is now over 24 hours ago. I just sent them a follow up email just now.

I'm really upset about it, I honestly just wanted to try the service cause I've never used an online dvd delivery service.
    Anyone else experienced anything like this with superquinnmovies.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I got an email back from them saying they'd look into it yesterday but no word back yet today.
    Seems hopeful about the lazer thing but the whole me being put on gold is really confusing. I just hope they sort it out for me soon

Haven't been able to get back in contact with superquinnmovies since that email. Getting really upset now, I can't afford to call them as it is not a freephone number and in past experiences (with the likes of Eircom) I have been left on hold/messed around til my credit runs out.
    Does Q102 still do that phone in consumer issues show? Or is there anyone I can approach about this.
    Really upset about how I'm being treated

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

bubblefett wrote: »
    Haven't been able to get back in contact with superquinnmovies since that email. Getting really upset now, I can't afford to call them as it is not a freephone number and in past experiences (with the likes of Eircom) I have been left on hold/messed around til my credit runs out.
    Does Q102 still do that phone in consumer issues show? Or is there anyone I can approach about this.

yes, Tuesday night I think it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

The consumer show on Q102 is on Monday from 6 until 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As with all things purchased online, in the EU anyway, you are entitled to a 7 day cancellation period. If SQ don't resolve your issue by day 6, just tell them you want to invoke your right to cancel within 7 days under the EU Distance Selling Directive.

Legal Linky

Read It.

EDIT : Oh, and stop stressing and getting upset. The law is on your side. You WILL get a refund. You might just have to fight for it, though. Put everything in paper or email.

EDIT 2 : The Link Website paraphrased. Relevant area in BOLD
    The Distance Selling Directive applies to any consumer distance contract made under the law of an EU-Member State as well as the European Economic Area (EEA). It provides a number of fundamental legal rights for consumers in order to ensure a high level of consumer protection throughout the EU. These include:

* Provision of comprehensive information before the purchase;
    * Confirmation of that information in a durable medium (such as written confirmation);
    * Consumer's right to cancel the contract within a minimum of 7 working days without giving any reason and without penalty, except the cost of returning the goods (right of withdrawal);
    * Where the consumer has cancelled the contract, the right to a refund within 30 days of cancellation;
    * Delivery of the goods or performance of the service within 30 days of the day after the consumer placed his order;
    * Protection from unsolicited selling;
    * Protection from fraudulent use of payment cards;
    * Non validity of any waiver of the rights and obligations provided for under the directive, whether instigated by the consumer or the supplier.

Some types of contracts are excluded from all the provisions of the directive. The exemptions include contracts for financial services and contracts concluded through an auction.

Other types of contracts are excluded from the core provisions of the directive, such as the provision of comprehensible information before the purchase and the right to cancel the contract. These include contracts for services to be performed on a specific date or within a specific period such as hotel room bookings, travel or concert tickets.

There are also some exemptions from the right of withdrawal. These will apply unless the consumer and supplier agree otherwise. These exemptions cover, for instance, goods made to the consumer's specifications and perishable goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Just to let you know, superquinn movies has the exact same web design word-to-word as www.onlinedvdrentals.ie, which are scammers.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I got onto the consumer show and they emailed back asking for my number so we could talk about it. Thankfully it didn't come to that cause I got a (somewhat snotty) email back from superquinn saying they'd refund me. It'll be back in my account in 8 or 9 days.
    I really think it was all a bit dodgy, I know I had selected free trial, can't see how I could have misread it to the point of allowing them take money from my account! Still, I'm getting it back so i'm happy.
    I cancelled the account and called the bank to make sure there was no direct debit to them set up.
    Hopefully that'll be the end of them!

In future I'm sticking to netflix

Well it's been 3 weeks since I was charged for a service I did not agree to and I'm still waiting on my refund.
    Emailed them again and I'm going to get back onto Q102.
    I can't believe how much trouble this has been

• Advertisement

I got a (somewhat snotty) email back from superquinn saying they'd refund me. It'll be back in my account in 8 or 9 days.
    Well it's been 3 weeks since I was charged for a service I did not agree to and I'm still waiting on my refund.
    Emailed them again and I'm going to get back onto Q102.
    I can't believe how much trouble this has been

RangeR wrote: »
    The law is on your side. You WILL get a refund. You might just have to fight for it, though. Put everything in paper or email.

By all means get back onto Q102, purely to highlight the case. However, to get your money back THIS week, do the following.

If you paid by credit card, get onto your credit card provider and tell them that you want to issue a chargeback. They will ask you why. You tell them your story. Let them know that you have an email from SQ acknowledging the problem and offered a refund. They may ask to see it.

If you paid by Deriect Debit, get onto your bank [your local branch :)]. Tell them that there was an unauthorised direct debit from your account and that you want it refunded. They will try to fob you off to SQ but they MUST refund you immediately.

If you paid by Laser, then you are **** outta luck, I think. You will have to chase SQ. If this is the case, initiate a Small Claims Court procedure. It doesn't cost much [less than €20] and you can do it online. It's very easy. You don't need a solicitor and they walk you through it, step by step, in layman's terms.

Make an example

Just to update, still have not recieved refund :rolleyes:
    Called them last week, was told to email my details. Was told they'd look into my case and get back to me the next day.
    As usual no reply. So I emailed them today and I got a message back suggesting they refund me half of what they took.
    Is this allowed if they have confirmed for me in a previous email that they would give me back the full amount and even confirmed it in a later email saying that the refund is being processed but is delayed?

Just to update, still have not recieved refund :rolleyes:
    Called them last week, was told to email my details. Was told they'd look into my case and get back to me the next day.
    As usual no reply. So I emailed them today and I got a message back suggesting they refund me half of what they took.
    Is this allowed if they have confirmed for me in a previous email that they would give me back the full amount and even confirmed it in a later email saying that the refund is being processed but is delayed?

Wht are you still talking to Superquinn? Obviously, they no longer want to deal with you. You have tried talking to them. I think it's now time to use one these three options.
    RangeR wrote: »
    By all means get back onto Q102, purely to highlight the case. However, to get your money back THIS week, do the following.

If you paid by credit card, get onto your credit card provider and tell them that you want to issue a chargeback. They will ask you why. You tell them your story. Let them know that you have an email from SQ acknowledging the problem and offered a refund. They may ask to see it.

If you paid by Deriect Debit, get onto your bank [your local branch :)]. Tell them that there was an unauthorised direct debit from your account and that you want it refunded. They will try to fob you off to SQ but they MUST refund you immediately.

If you paid by Laser, then you are **** outta luck, I think. You will have to chase SQ. If this is the case, initiate a Small Claims Court procedure. It doesn't cost much [less than €20] and you can do it online. It's very easy. You don't need a solicitor and they walk you through it, step by step, in layman's terms.

Make an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Have had previous experience with this crowd. They're onlinedvdretals.ie working under another name.

I had to doorstep them in their office to get a refund.

Facebook is here http://www.facebook.com/dvdrentals?sk=wall & here (for some reason) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Online-DVD-Rentals-Ireland/200001313377011

They're really only a two man operation, maybe one, didn't seem that busy when I was there months ago. They don't have all the movies they say they do & charge every month when they don't have what you want.

If you look at -

This: http://www.onlinedvdrentals.ie/

This: http://www.superquinnmovies.ie/

This: http://www.dvdsbypost.ie/

This: http://www.movierentals.ie/

You'll notice broad similarities. According to google, their twitter is @mannix11 (which doesn't make sense for a business) Recent thread about them here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055636481.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I signed up for a free trial also, thankfully they didnt take any money but they didnt send out any dvd's to me. I sent them an email after 1 week to ask them was there a problem and they didnt get back to me so I cancelled my account and cancelled the dd or standing order ( cant remember which i set up with them) just in case on day 13 of my 'free trial' eventually they emailed my back after 2 months so I sent them back a stinker of an email and havent heard anything since.

hope it doesnt go on much longer for you. Did you pay by credit/debit card? if you did you could contact your bank and ask for a chargeback. The bank will contact them and get them to send backup for the charge, if they dont send proper proof the back will refund you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Any updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 isiass

Just an update to this thread - superquinnmovies charged me for my free trial 8 months after my trial ended! I cancelled my free trial in January 2012 and they charged me in September and October. If you've a visa debit card you must lodge a request for a refund through your bank within 120 days of the unauthorised charge. Complete scam artists

Advertisement