Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scans 1 or 2 ????

Options
  • 01-02-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

first time dad to be ! my wife is little over 6 months pregnant. We had the usual scan at 12 weeks and around 20weeks was xmas, she was due back in hosp 1st week in jan for blood test. she asked the doc and he said ah no you wont need another scan. So i been askin around. alot of people said they also only got 1 scan.

Monday the wife was in with nurse and asked about scan nurse said defo have another scan because first one is only really for telling due date. So she called hosp this morning and was told that they dont take GP referrals and its now to late andthey dont scan past 26wks.

I am really annoyed at the way we have been given different messages.

Should we be worried ? should we go VHI and pay for scan ? Nurse said the wife doin well baby heart beat sounds great etc. The wife is panicing im tryin to be calm 1 but TBH im freaked out !

Any enlightenment would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My only experience is with Holles St, who only offered me one scan, at around 27 weeks. No dating scan, even when I requested one. I was 6 weeks pregnant when I called them.

From what I've heard/read scan policy seems to vary greatly from hospital to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I am public with the CUMH in cork.
    1 scan at 12/14 weeks.
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Thanks a mill feel better now i will tell the missus !

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I went public last year at the Rotunda, had the 1st scan at 12 weeks, then the anomoly scan at 20-22weeks, then a 3rd scan towards the end of the pregnancy to check positioning etc. But at the time I did wonder if it was to do with my age - geriatric mum to be. But that shouldn't be the case. Everyone should be offered the same up and down the country.
    But when i've spoken to other people about this, it appears all hospitals don't offer the same No. of scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

According to my itenary for castlebar hospital, i will get 3 scans, have first
    one monday. I thought this is standard practice, now im hoping i will get what they said, going public aswell. Surprised I got a scan so early, i will only be 12 weeks, gp said to expect to be called between 14-16 weeks, im thinking its my age aswell and its my first baby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Each pregnancy is different. Some require more scans then others.

My old lady thought she wasnt getting enough scans and ended up getting private ones, at the end of that all we got really was another expensive picture of our unborn child.

OP, if your wife is not being brought in for extra scans, that is a sign that the hospital are happy with things!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

thanks for all replys just as its so new to us every little thing seems so huge ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PuntoSeller

Going public in Rotunda, had one at 13 weeks and will have another at 21 weeks and the pregnancy is completely straight forward. The rotunda seem to be good when it comes to scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I think, as someone has said, that you should think of it as a good thing that they seem happy with the progress of the baby. If there was a problem, they would scan.

As I am only getting 1 scan though, I'm getting the anomaly scan done privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If I was in your position I'd get an anomaly scan done privately. In the Coombe you get a dating scan at 11/12 weeks, the anomaly scan around 20 weeks and maybe one more around 38/39 weeks to check the size and weight. I had all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Vibes, if you are both stressed just pop along to a private clinic and get a scan. I was a first time dad last year and you're right - every little thing is a huge thing!

My wife had a few scans (4 or 5 maybe) but usually only because our little girl was showing as small so doc needed to be sure about growth, etc. Generally, you only have to get one or two scans, as what happened with friends, family, etc when they were expecting!

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Rose35 wrote: »
    According to my itenary for castlebar hospital, i will get 3 scans, have first
    one monday. I thought this is standard practice, now im hoping i will get what they said, going public aswell. Surprised I got a scan so early, i will only be 12 weeks, gp said to expect to be called between 14-16 weeks, im thinking its my age aswell and its my first baby

I only got one scan in Castlebar going public at 12 weeks... Im mighty miffed now hahaha

But waste of time now cuz only 8 weeks to go :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Does anyone know if when going midwifery led with the Rotunda if you get another scan after 20 weeks? like around 38 or 39?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I only got one scan in Castlebar going public at 12 weeks... Im mighty miffed now hahaha

But waste of time now cuz only 8 weeks to go :eek:

Turns out I only get one scan too, maybe another at 32 weeks to check positioning of placenta, will go private for a scan at 20 weeks or so.
    They are happy with baby so that is what counts i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 A4D

Iv been to CUMH you get a scan at 12 and 20 and den 37/38 depending on previous pregnancies and if its ur 1st etc etc

i one every month as im high risk due to a stillbirth and a misscarrage in 2011

if u have d munie u shud book privately i herd der great

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jelly4

Hi there,

I had a baby at the start of the month + I'm surprised to hear how few scans everyone is having. I was a private patient, I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and had the below scans. There were 3 detailed main scans taking around 20/30 mins - the others were quicker checks + took around 10 /15 mins.

8 week scan ( initial well being scan)
    12 week scan (detailed 3 months scan - Dating / growth / position of placenta)*
    Scan for downs (separate to hospital scans)
    22 week scan (detailed anomaly scan)*
    28 week scan (mini scan - checked growth was normal etc)
    32 week scan (detailed scan)*
    36 week scan (checked positioning /growth etc)
    37 week scan (checked positioning /growth etc)
    38 week scan (checked positioning /growth etc)

and I would have had scans at 39 /40+ weeks too if I hadn't gone into labour at 38 + 6!! The main scans are marked with * above.

In addition to the above hospital scans, my GP has a scanner + I had mini scans with him anytime I went there.

The number of scans I had is probably too much but I would recommend around 3 scans just for peace of mind -12, 22 and 32 weeks maybe.

Best of luck with the pregnancy,

Jelly4

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I went public and had 2 public scans in the Lourdes, the first one was 14 weeks was quite detailed etc about 20 mins.

I then went for a private scan at 16 weeks and a triple blood test to test for downs and spina bififa but I am on meds for epilepsy so was worried about the effects. I did mention this in the Lourdes but they didn't seem bothered about the effects and this infuriated me so hence I did my own thing.

I was called in again at 21 weeks, it was totally last minute on their part, the obs I saw at 20 weeks was annoyed that no one organised a 20 week scan for me. I told her not to worry as I had a private one booked anyway. I ended up going for the public one first and it was literally 2 mins and it was supposed to be an anomaly scan. I wasn't happy about it but I know they are backed up and up to their eyeballs in pregnant mothers so didn't say anything.

Was much happier with the private anomaly scan, it was about 25 mins and we got a great close up of the heart and saw everything moving and pumping. It really put my mind at ease.

The whole system infuriates me, I think it's totally backwards here and I feel they don't do enough but as I can't afford to go private there's nothing I can do except have a couple of extra scans at my own cost. Well worth that anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Is it just me or have they really cut back on scan's even in the past 2-3 years?
    My daughter is 2 (as of 25 minutes ago :) ) and during my pregnancy I had several scans.
    Now I know at an early stage it was documented that I have placenta previa (not that the consultant bothered telling me, just scribbled it on my card :rolleyes:).

However two friends were pregnant at the same time & they both had a similar amount of scans as I did.

This time I had an early scan at 8 weeks (only had this due to previous miscarriage), I don't think I had another until 26 weeks.
    This scan was only done because the consultant couldn't find baby's heartbeat.

My next appointment is in a fortnight when I will be 34 weeks, but I'm not entirely sure if I will have a scan then.

I had a private scan (3D & anomaly) for peace of mind. Money very well spent in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm with the Domino Scheme in the Coombe.
    I paid for a private scan at 8 & half weeks as my OH wanted to tell his sister about the baby in person while she was home from abroad & I wanted to make sure all was ok before he did.
    In hospital we had a dating scan at 14 weeks & an anomoly scan at 20 weeks. Babs had his hands over his face at the 20 week scan so they couldn't check for cleft palate so they brought me back in at 26 weeks for another scan.
    I'm 36 +1 now & not sure if I get anymore scans as I don't go into the hospital for my visits I just see my midwife/GP for my visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

cap- i had one done at 11w and then as recent as 19w, im back at 29w for another scan, im based in portlaoise so it must be the hospitals? i know in cork ive heard they are brutal because my sis in law is due and having hers there and her scans have been feck all...id be dissapointed if they cut down on scans as its lovely to see the babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

In Kerry its one scan somewhere between 17 and 22 weeks at your booking appt... they give you a letter stating that as long as your pregnancy has no complications this will be your only scan...

I've had 6 so far have another in 4 weeks I'll be 26 weeks then. So if you need them you get them.... I'd far prefer to have had just the one so far :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Im public in the rotunda and had a dating scan at 12 weeks, an anomaly scan at 21 weeks and then another at 40 + 4...just as baby was overdue...

I was given another anomaly scan at 23 weeks as baby was measuring small at the first...and had another mini scan after a car crash, so yeah its a comfort to know you will be given them if needed

Advertisement