Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being let go- starting my own venture

• 01-02-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

any input here is appreciated. I am more than likely going to be let go next week unfortunately. So I am going to use this oppurtunity to start my own web design company. Now it is just me who will be on design end and I have a main codey who knows his languages in and out. We already have a few freebies under our belt done for other customers as a means to build a portfolio.

My main question is how can we get more clients? At what stage should we start applying for company reg numbers etc? How have the initiated among you started out?

Anything here would be great guys so thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

You dont need to get company numbers. Set up as sole traders and who ever wins the gig does the invoicing and the other invoices him / her. If you go over ~37K / year as an individual you have to start charging VAT. (Thats only a phone call to revenue to set up).

The only other thing is you have to get you accounts done once a year and file a tax return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would contact your local county enterprise board. They will be able to give you advice and may be able to help you get some funding.
    They run start your own business courses and often run one day courses which could be of interest of.
    I know some one who did the start your own business course and found it useful. They could also ring the enterprise board with business questions once the business was up and running.

Advertisement