Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulling a trailer

Options
  • 01-02-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,
    I'm starting a mobile catering activity, and looking for the best to pull a 2 tones trailer... Budget is 3k, and I was looking at a van (Ford transit) or a jeep (LWB land rover).
    Any advice on what minimum power should the engine be, and what would be the best?

Thanks a lot

Fred

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Most big cars, softroade/SUVs and mid size vans will pull 2 tonne, check the manufacturers towing specs. You don't need 4x4 unless you expect to be in a lot of rally fields and a big 4x4 or van will drink any profit you make!

Double check the catering trailer weight and unless it's over 2 tonne you have a wider choice of tow vehicle. Power wise you'll probably look at 1.9 - 2.0l engines, any smaller and the vehicle probably won't be rated to tow the weight.
    A Land Rover or other big 4x4 makes a more stable tow vehicle but engine wise they are all 2.5 - 3.2l and you'll be lucky to see 25mpg towing. They'll all pull 3.5t though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't forget to check your license covers you to tow these weights!
    EB will be necessary and its being enforced quite rigidly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

And remember you are not permitted to tow in the extreme outside lane of any 2 or 3 lane motorway.

Unlike the KNOBHEAD on the M50 yesterday :mad: ahem,
    as you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭laois hibby

I have a 2 liter swb transit and it pulls a medium sized unit no problem at all. If its one of the big units we use a discovery which pulls brilliantly but goes through diesel like mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For a catering truck I'd also look at what kind of events I'd be catering at. If you are looking at doing the likes of music gigs in muddy fields, then don't rule out the 4x4 option (although I'd look at 4wd Skodas/Audis/Volvos as well as Land Rovers/Cruisers for the running costs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 freddublin

EB licence on the way!

So maybe I could look at something smaller as a ford connect or VW Caddy?

As it' 2.3m high, wouldn't it be too high for the towing vehicle for the wind while driving?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

freddublin wrote: »
    EB licence on the way!

So maybe I could look at something smaller as a ford connect or VW Caddy?

As it' 2.3m high, wouldn't it be too high for the towing vehicle for the wind while driving?

Thanks

Only weights are limited.
    It doesn't matter it's so high. You can't drive any faster than 80km/h anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Connect and Caddy may be a bit on the small side and not rated to 2 tonne. The longer the vehicle the better stability wise, height wise it's no different to a caravan.

Advertisement