Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being let go- starting out on my own

Options
  • 01-02-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

any input here is appreciated. I am more than likely going to be let go next week unfortunately. So I am going to use this oppurtunity to start my own web design company. Now it is just me who will be on design end and I have a main codey who knows his languages in and out. We already have a few freebies under our belt done for other customers as a means to build a portfolio.

My main question is how can we get more clients? At what stage should we start applying for company reg numbers etc? How have the initiated among you started out?

Anything here would be great guys so thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi guys,

any input here is appreciated. I am more than likely going to be let go next week unfortunately. So I am going to use this oppurtunity to start my own web design company. Now it is just me who will be on design end and I have a main codey who knows his languages in and out. We already have a few freebies under our belt done for other customers as a means to build a portfolio.

My main question is how can we get more clients? At what stage should we start applying for company reg numbers etc? How have the initiated among you started out?

Anything here would be great guys so thanks.

Hey OP,

I would say that designers mainly get business through word of mouth, especially in somewhere like Ireland. Networking is key. First off, I'm sure you have friends who have friends who have businesses who may be in need of a website revamp, or they may know other people who need a website.

Put yourself about on forums (you could have a link in your sig on this one), share your expertise, contribute to blogs (guest posts, guest comments) - this is great for SEO.

Then there are networking events and groups that you should get involved with. Word of mouth is the best kind of marketing :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As Chet Zar said a lot of it is word of mouth and having a portfolio or somewhere to send potential clients to look at past work. After that its down to try source work through friends, friends of friends and local businesses.

Use social media, attend networking events (get a few business cards done up and always have them on you).

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Thanks so far guys, its actually all quiet exciting now. I know it will be a slog at first but hopefully I can at least clear my rent for the first few months. Would you advise to register as a sole trader sooner rather thank later?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You may as well, it takes a few weeks to get the CRO registration sorted and to get your certificate so you can start the ball rolling. That way you can sort out a .ie domain when you get that and get your own portfolio website up.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

OP
    You can register as a sole trader just by completing one form which is on the Revenue website. this makes it legit for you to trade under your own name.

It is different from being a director of a limited company, which registers with CRO.

Why dont you look into doing a business or start your own business course? (part-time). Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

is it more benificial to set up as a sole trader or limited company?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Like everything.....Pros and Cons to both.

Company looks more professional and could be the way to go if there are two of you.
    Sole Trader means less paperwork.

Take a look at both sides and judge what benefits you more.

Advertisement