Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question to settle my curiousity.

Options
  • 01-02-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Currently there is a gun ownership thread in after hours

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056536049

Some people said that slef/home defence is not a valid reason for run ownership.

Say though you had a gun legally and used it in self defence?
    For example a burglar breaks in you have a shotgun and he comes at you with a knife raised (so that the issue of preservation of you own life is not at question) would that still be legal. I remember reading somewhere that a judge ruled that in your own place of residence then any necessary means to defend oneself is acceptable.

What is the legal situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Self defence isn't considered a valid reason for owning a gun. The only valid reasons for gun ownership are target shooting, hunting, and vermin control.

I don't want to get myself in trouble so I won't comment on whether you can use a gun for self defence.

That said, the law was recently changed to allow you to use "reasonable force" to defend yourself. Prior to that, the law said you pretty much had to run away. Now you can defend yourself using "reasonable force". Each situation is different so it's up to the judge to decide if you used reasonable or excessive force if it ever came to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

By the time you get the keys to the gun safe, open it, then open the ammo storage safe I think you will be well perforated.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Self defence is not avalid reason to own a firearm and if you state it on the form your appilacition will be dismissed.

The Criminal Law(Defence and the Dwelling) Act 2011 gives certian new right to use reasonable force if your attacked in your home. that is not to say you can shoot some one for breaking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Self defence isn't considered a valid reason for owning a gun. The only valid reasons for gun ownership are target shooting, hunting, and vermin control.

Not only that but your license outlines what you MAY use your firearm for.

Using it for anything else is in breach of the law.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

OP has had the question answered and this is veering into RKBA territory so going to close it there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement