Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new tractor

• 01-02-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

thinking of upgrading from the ford 6610, considering either a nh 7840 or mf 390t c/w preferably quickie loader.. it would be mainly be used for feeding and slurry in winter, and drawing silage bales in summer along with topping and fert etc.

Which would have faster hydralics for loader?
    Which would be better pulling on the road?
    Which is more realiabile, been told the 390t fairly bulletproof...

Feedback greatly appreciated.. Open to other tractor considerations also

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

why u changing?

would of thought you'd have to go up a fair few more year that 390t's and 7840's to make it worth your while. Something more like an early 2000 reg.

the 390t's have a great reputation alright but you'll have to pay silly enough money for what is quite an old machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i drove a 7840 about 8 years ago at silage. She had a 18ft redrock and well able for it. (it didnt have a turbo). However the sle gearbox are a pain when they give trouble. Be great for pulling loads as you only have to clutch between 4th and 5th.

I also drove a nh 7740 with a sl greatbox (standard but with a shuttle) a real nice tractor also. It had a trima loader and 8ft silage grape and it was a joy to drive. Very stable on the pit, able to keep grass away from a jf900 (18ft trailer of grass every 8-10 mins) and lovely on the road. with no gearbox trouble.

390T - i dont have to much experience on the turbo version, but in driver comfort especially with a loader i would go for the nh 7740.

For record i have a lambourgini 1050 premium its a same 100.4 and i like it, and alot cheaper than NH or MF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Have 390t 2wd 1992, 5800 hours, for past 9 years. Never any bother, can't praise enough. 95 hp and handles 1300 tanker, 3m powerharrow, 8 ft mower, with ease. Very manoeuvrable around yard. Decent hydraulic flow 65 L per minute, same as 7740 as it turns out. Left hand shuttle makes it very handy for direction change. Good visibility out the rear. Cab is tidy but fine for 1.

Had a loader on it for 2 years but took it off again as made it awkward around sheds. Put loader on 4 wd instead. Will handle loader fine, maybe a little light at rear, I'd recommend 4wd for a loader to be honest.

Much easier to start than the 80 hp 390. No rust issues - silver cab.

Probably not as heavy a tractor as the NH 7740 so maybe less stable with loads on the road? Brakes good.

Incidentally MF 398 is virtually the same tractor, same engine etc, however rear end lift arms have external assister ram. 398's usually less money though, dunno why. lift on 390t is fine though. Will raise front wheels off ground no bother.

Depends what you want - I'd recommend 390t any time simple reliable tractor with good power weight ratio.

Advertisement