Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk Lotto

Options
  • 01-02-2012 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

How does one go about getting a machine to sell the uk lotto in their shop in ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

You can't. The UK Lotto doesn't operate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

DubTony wrote: »
    You can't. The UK Lotto doesn't operate here.
    <br />
    Back in the late 90s/ early 00s a number of shops in ireland sold it, It is said on a few threads on boards.ie that some shops around dublin still do

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

IANAL but I'm pretty sure that it would be illegal to do this and would also have the unfortunate effect that if someone purchased a UK lotto ticket over here they probably wouldn't see the winnings;

From the UK national lottery site;

the Intending Player is recognised by checks carried out by the Company as being a resident of the UK or Isle of Man;

Players and Online Direct Debit Players agree that playing the Games whilst located in any jurisdiction other than the UK or the Isle of Man is strictly prohibited and that no Prize shall be paid to any Player or Online Direct Debit Player in respect of any Games played whilst the Player or Online Direct Debit Player was located in any jurisdiction other than the UK or Isle of Man.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Nick Guats wrote: »
    <br />
    Back in the late 90s/ early 00s a number of shops in ireland sold it, It is said on a few threads on boards.ie that some shops around dublin still do

As far as I remember it has never been sold in Ireland

You may be confusing it with Rehab who installed machines for a short lived lottery based on the results of the UK Lotto

Dubtony may remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yeah HT I do. Didn't catch on really. But then there was the option to go into your local shop that sold the UK lotto (not Rehab) and pay the equivalent of about £1.20 for each pound worth of lottery you wanted to buy. A guy would then take all those play-slips, bring them across the border and have them put through a machine there. Tickets and play-slips were delivered back to the shop for collection before the draw. Most of the shops that did this were those who'd been unable to get Irish Lotto terminals. I think it just fizzled out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

DubTony wrote: »
    Yeah HT I do. Didn't catch on really. But then there was the option to go into your local shop that sold the UK lotto (not Rehab) and pay the equivalent of about £1.20 for each pound worth of lottery you wanted to buy. A guy would then take all those play-slips, bring them across the border and have them put through a machine there. Tickets and play-slips were delivered back to the shop for collection before the draw. Most of the shops that did this were those who'd been unable to get Irish Lotto terminals. I think it just fizzled out.

I seem to remember a small shop near me doing it.

The bookies had something on the go as well for a while, better odds for matching 3 or 4 numbers (so instead of say €12 for matching 3 or whatever you get €1000) but if you matched 6 you only get maybe €20K

Do people still play the lotto? I lost all interest when they made the odds of winning much smaller.

I can never fathom why people pay a voluntary extra tax and most of them at the same time whine and moan about the taxes they already pay.

Advertisement