Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Daily Mail really that bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

All the media are sh1te and I personally don't spend a second going through the bullsh1t they serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

How bad can it be? I would read the Daily Mail before being caught dead with any red-top tabloid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

annascott wrote: »
    How bad can it be? I would read the Daily Mail before being caught dead with any red-top tabloid...

so because it doesn't have a red top you would buy it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Latchy wrote: »
    One way to ascertain the intelligence of Brits who read the Daily Mail is to view the comments section under each news item .

Nah. That's just you using the WORLDWIDE popularity of the Daily Mail as an excuse to have an anti-British rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Batsy wrote: »
    The Daily Mail is the 11th most popular newspaper in the world (but its website is the most popular newspaper website).

The Guardian doesn't even make it in the world's Top 100.

Why don't you tackle some of the examples of their poor journalistic standards posted here instead of just saying how many people buy the thing?

Popularity does not always equal quality. Look at how many people watch films and TV programmes that are crap.

Here's the top ten highest-grossing films of last year.

1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    2 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    3 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    4 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1
    5 Kung Fu Panda 2
    6 Fast Five
    7 The Hangover Part II
    8 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    9 The Smurfs
    10 Cars 2

Surely then, The Smurfs and Twilight are cinematic masterpieces, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Daily Mail is the 11th most popular newspaper in the world (but its website is the most popular newspaper website).

So you're trying to say quality = popularity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The daily mail is just a right wing tabloid.

Theyre not afraid to talk about issues that need to be talked about , like immigration or the islamisation of the UK, but the problem is that they sensationalize it and try to cause panic among people.

The daily mail is just basically the other side of the same coin as something like indymedia.

it angers some on the right because of its sensationalising of stories
    it angers all those on the left because they dont know how the world works and think we should all pretend that everything works perfectly

ah, veiled insult to hide ignorance, I see.

People on the left hate the Daily Mail for pretty much the same reasons as people on the right.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Nah. That's just you using the WORLDWIDE popularity of the Daily Mail as an excuse to have an anti-British rant.
    Actually it has more to do with a previous poster asking of the Intelligence of the readers of the Daily Mail which if you read my post again, was explaining that it's readers comments are a good testimony of that Intelligence (good , bad or indifferent ) which you (wrongly ) choose to assume ment I was saying it's readers are of Low Intelligence (not all of them ) and of having an anti british rant .

You just took one line from my quote to make it look like something else ...like what some ****ty journo might do ...why did you do that ?

In fact as other will testify , I have posted quite a few times on boards over the last years pointing out some post's as just that ie ' Anti- British ' .

So you need to get your facts clear before making such iggnorant statements . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nodin wrote: »
    So you're trying to say quality = popularity?

Justin Beiber never lies.

mikom wrote: »
    They are visiting it for the pictures not the text.
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    meh it's ok i suppose,i only look at the pictures anyway.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

The pictures of nature ,space and the wild life (human and animal ) in the DM are worth logging in for it alone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The Daily Mail is a very popular newspaper, well-liked not only in the UK - where it is the second most-read newspaper after The Sun - but also around the world.

One reason for its success, of course, is down to its popular views, views which are shared by the majority of people, unlike lefty newspapers whose bizarre views only resonate with sandal-wearing, tofu-eating, Friends-of-the-Earth type people in Islington.

This is shown in the fact that the Daily Mail website is now the most popular newspaper website on the planet, overtaking that of the New York Times.

In fact, MailOnline is the fifth biggest newspaper in the United States.

I also enjoyed reading The Guardian's article about this. The Guardian, the left-wing bible, has a readership which is miniscule compared to that of the Daily Mail, and is shrinking rapidly. So it was good to see The Guardian, which usually can't report on anything without making disaparaging comments about the Daily Mail, even if it's in articles about probes being sent to Mars, reporting jealously on the Mail's success.

I also enjoyed reading the inevitable childish comments from The Guardian's left-wing, PC readers in the comments section underneath the article on The Guardian's website.

I particularly enjoyed this comment, though, from "Toolow":

Love all the twitchy-lipped Guardian people getting so worked up about this. If you don't like hugely popular sites which produce excellent journalism for everybody then don't read them.....

And will the sullen, negative nobodies who wants to bring race into everything please note that I'm a man of colour. Like many of my compatriots I first started reading the Daily Mail because it presents information and comment in well written English - good usage at all times. It's read by thousands of immigrants for this reason.

By comparison, the NYT is pretentious and boring. To be fair, the Guardian isn't, but there are some right little curtain twitchers who read it.

The Daily mail is so popular because it has created itself a niche, just like the Sun. They know their readership. They give them what they want. They aren't fence sitters and know that a bit of moral indignation is what certain elements of British society wants. And that's the thing, it is an inherently British newspaper that caters for the more discerning jingoist. Curiously, the Irish Daily Mail's figures have been appalling since their launch a few years ago - the worst of all the dailies in fact despite a lower price and a plethora of deals giving away free tat:

Irish Independent 500 (13.9%)
    The Irish Times 324 (9%)
    Irish Examiner 169 (4.7%)
    Irish Daily Star 372 (10.4%)
    Irish Daily Mirror 207 (5.8%)
    Irish Sun 276 (7.7%)
    Irish Daily Mail 141 (3.9%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They have excellent photos and some great nature and wildlife articles now and again
    This one today was a about a hospital on a small island in New York that's been abandoned for decades, I enjoyed it
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094823/New-York-leper-colony-Eerie-pictures-inside-abandoned-world-lost-island.html

The DM knows what it is and their website is very popular.
    But the comments are a bit mad, deport everyone, hang that lad, lock away that women, kick everyone else out of the country, every traveller in the world is Irish and a lot of other rage
    Good to let off steam but a lot of the readers are angry with the world. And just begging for a war with Argentina, they can't wait for it

Leaving aside those comments, they are a sharp bunch and they pick apart every article looking for mistakes. So they don't accept everything that's in it and will hammer the journalist for errors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The DailyMail website is something I check almost everyday. It's actually a very good site, despite the drivel.
    I'm human..also one of those who complain about inaccuracies in articles; example was a picture of a snow-topped mountain captioned as the north pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Daily_Mail
    During the 1930s the Daily Mail briefly supported the Blackshirts and Nazis before they realised the former were too moderate while the latter were German and therefore European. Nowadays the paper campaigns against abortion of heterosexual foetuses, while also maintaining the entirely logical and consistent position of demanding the withdrawal of welfare payments to fallen women to support their unwanted bastards.

The only good thing one can say about the Daily Mail is that at least its not the Daily Express.

mikemac1 wrote: »

The DM knows what it is and their website is very popular.
    But the comments are a bit mad, deport everyone, hang that lad, lock away that women, kick everyone else out of the country, every traveller in the world is Irish and a lot of other rage
    Good to let off steam but a lot of the readers are angry with the world. And just begging for a war with Argentina, they can't wait for it
    Leaving aside those comments, they are a sharp bunch and they pick apart every article looking for mistakes. So they don't accept everything that's in it and will hammer the journalist for errors
    Exactly , more or less what I was saying and depending on the topic , the comments do swing from one extreme to another but they will rightly tear into people when it's deserved . Some make valid points and will rightly point out the dept and vaule of a news item which was what I was saying in my last post but was lost on Batsy .

• Advertisement

The Sun is the 9th biggest selling newspaper on Earth, with a circulation of almost 3 billion
    WTF ?

Somebody is talking through their vagina :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I visit their site nearly every day but know what to expect,some good articles and some over the top frankly mad stuff.The comments section under some of them make AH seem tame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

However, The Sun is the 9th biggest selling newspaper on Earth, with a circulation of almost 3 billion,

The newspaper with the largest circulation in the world is Japanese and it barely tips 15 million.
    So I don't know where you pulled that figure out of.
    You do understand that circulation refers to an average day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The UK one is supposed to be way worse. If forced I'd read bits of the Irish Mail (not the opinion columns) before I'd read any of the Indo - or particularly the SIndo.
    The Daily Express seems worse than the Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dudess wrote: »

Diana Death Plot Linked To Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This has nothing to do with The Sun. This is about The Daily Mail.

However, The Sun is the 9th biggest selling newspaper on Earth, with a circulation of almost 3 billion, and is the world's second-biggest-selling English language newspaper after The Times of India.
    Yes, with almost all it's sales in Britain. Point still stands. British must have a high percentage of mouth breathers. Most popular papers are:
    The Sun,
    The Mail
    The Mirror,
    The Star.

And I've seen The Star in england. It makes the Irish Star actually look like ulysses. As for the Indo, that's fairly bad, but compared to the top 4 in england, it's on another planet.

Batsy
    The Sun is the 9th biggest selling newspaper on Earth, with a circulation of almost 3 billion
    .Those 3 Billion readers might see a headline like ' the moon is made of cheese ' and probably believe it to ... why ?

because if the sun say's it true then it must be true ... right ? .... ''No wah ah mean mah son ?''

The same Sun who's former editor stated two months ago on a live tv programme that the filthy Hillsborough news article came from a Liverpool news agency and not London ... only for him to detract his statement 24 hrs later as wrong but with no sense of Irony or shame .

He makes the Daily Mail seem like a Bastion of knowledge and Truth .

TBH Id rate the Mail as being far more insidious than the Sun given that the average Sun reader is fully aware that what theyre reading is a pile of bollix and they only buy the thing for the football/titties/TV mag on a Saturday.

It is now.

Since Richard "ethics whats that ?" Desmond took over (2004 IIRC) Its more or less been on a mission to Out-Mail the Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The daily mail makes the Irish catholic look balanced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Priori wrote: »
    ... Is the Daily Mail bad enough that a comparison with the Indo is warranted? ...
    Yes, in answer to your question; both are involved in a rush to the bottom, journalistically.

Now have a browse through the number of threads started on boards linking to articles in the Daily Mail on-line version. Is there a discernible pattern do you think? Journal & readers, readers & journals ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

OP in my experience, people will cite all kinds of publications when it fits their adgenda, irrespective of their class, education, profession, or general outlook.

I don't read the mail, or the indo particularlly, but will try to access as many different sources as I can and cross reference them.
    That way you may get a little closer to the truth.

It used to be 'trendy' to slag off the Sunday World. Since they are gone, something has to take its place in this respect.

The Sunday World has gone ??? since when :confused:
    mathepac wrote: »
    both are involved in a rush to the bottom, journalistically....

Its really just a question of which one is winning the race.

It's no Alive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

marcsignal wrote: »
    ... It used to be 'trendy' to slag off the Sunday World. Since they are gone, something has to take its place in this respect.
    News of the World - even the owners couldn't stomach having it around so they thankfully shut it, probably for reasons other than morality or ethics in journalism though.

Now for the other execrabale rag the Sunday Worst ...

The Daily Mail is a very popular newspaper, well-liked not only in the UK - where it is the second most-read newspaper after The Sun - but also around the world.

One reason for its success, of course, is down to its popular views, views which are shared by the majority of people, unlike lefty newspapers whose bizarre views only resonate with sandal-wearing, tofu-eating, Friends-of-the-Earth type people in Islington.

This is shown in the fact that the Daily Mail website is now the most popular newspaper website on the planet, overtaking that of the New York Times.

I also enjoyed reading The Guardian's article about this. The Guardian, the left-wing bible, has a readership which is miniscule compared to that of the Daily Mail, and is shrinking rapidly. So it was good to see The Guardian, which usually can't report on anything without making disaparaging comments about the Daily Mail, even if it's in articles about probes being sent to Mars, reporting jealously on the Mail's success.

I also enjoyed reading the inevitable childish comments from The Guardian's left-wing, PC readers in the comments section underneath the article on The Guardian's website.

Love all the twitchy-lipped Guardian people getting so worked up about this. If you don't like hugely popular sites which produce excellent journalism for everybody then don't read them.....

And will the sullen, negative nobodies who wants to bring race into everything please note that I'm a man of colour. Like many of my compatriots I first started reading the Daily Mail because it presents information and comment in well written English - good usage at all times. It's read by thousands of immigrants for this reason.

By comparison, the NYT is pretentious and boring. To be fair, the Guardian isn't, but there are some right little curtain twitchers who read it.
    Do you still think that drivel about people who use their brains looks clever?
    I'm not remotely anti British - quite an anglophile actually - whereas you are blatantly anti Irish yet make a point of spending time on an Irish website to let people know. God love ya.

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The Sunday World has gone ??? since when :confused:

A good 5yrs or more I think. Actually, I think it was ‘absorbed’ by the Daily Star. Some of their staff that is.
    It's no Alive!
    'The Slate' with a dog collar, and about as believable :D
    mathepac wrote: »
    News of the World - even the owners couldn't stomach having it around so they thankfully shut it, probably for reasons other than morality or ethics in journalism though.
    Now for the other execrabale rag the Sunday Worst ...

Don’t get me wrong, the SW was painfully cringeworthy at best. Headlines like :

“Massive Earthquake in China!” and “Jordan goes TOPLESS at the beach”

sharing the same front page :rolleyes:

marcsignal wrote: »
    A good 5yrs or more I think.

Someone should tell Wikipedia then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sunday World is still going strong

It's the Sunday Sport that should be in these posts
    Got taken over and the staff reassigned elsewhere

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Wikipedia then ?
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sunday World is still going strong

It's the Sunday Sport that should be in these posts
    Got taken over and the staff reassigned elsewhere

Jeez you're right !! I stand corrected :o

When I videoed their former office in Terenure bieng torn down I was rather hoping they were no more.
    Still, I haven't seen that paper in ages ??

I'm not a big fan of The Guardian and its own biases either, but at least they don't appear to make things up (as the two websites posted earlier show about The Daily Mail).

Comparisons between the Guardian and the Daily Mail are pretty ludicrous anyway seeing as how the the Guardian is not a tabloid and its main right wing equivalent would be the Daily Telegraph.

A closer left wing equivalent of the Mail would be Daily Mirror or perhaps the Morning Star.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

List of things the daily mail says gives you cancer
    all links are to the daily mail site
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=269512464297

The daily mail song

"How can one not be fond of something that the Daily Mail despises?"
    Stephen Fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep it's popular, but the Times, the English Independent and the Guardian would be the respected choices for news and politics, even sports. The Mail and the S*n for entertainment and womens stuff!

The X Factor is popular, means zilch.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

I keep seeing people slate various newspapers... Daily Mail... Sun.... News of the world... Independent...

Is there any good paper out there? if so what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The whole point of the Daily Mail, liek Fox News, is to keep people scared and ignorant and give them the belief that left wing polices wouldn't work, without any sensible evidence whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Lol - popular = quality. Like Jedward eh?

It's interesting too how putting a bit of thought into things means having "bizarre views".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

socco wrote: »
    I keep seeing people slate various newspapers... Daily Mail... Sun.... News of the world... Independent...

Irish paper? The Examiner

English paper? The Guardian/Observer IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

The Mail is Right Wing, the Sun is thrash, the Star is garbage,the Mirror is ****e, the Indo is lies...

:(

What will I read now??? Any left-wing rags out there worth a gander????

In Ireland? Probably the Irish Times but even it isn't the paper of "record" it claims to be. There's an excellent book about the lowering standards, pressure on deadlines, less resources on fact checking and I can't for the life of me think of the name!

In England, The Guardian can be left wing, but pretty reliable, the Times is decent. I find the English Independent pretty damn good.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

K-9 wrote: »
    There's an excellent book about the lowering standards, pressure on deadlines, less resources on fact checking and I can't for the life of me think of the name!
    Is it Flat Earth News, by Nick Davies? Its a fantastic book, really opened my eyes to the practices of the modern media.

The Mail is Right Wing, the Sun is thrash, the Star is garbage,the Mirror is ****e, the Indo is lies...

:(

What will I read now??? Any left-wing rags out there worth a gander????

I vaguely remember The Village being okay, but that is some time ago and I only readtwo or three issues. Not sure if it's still going or not.

Left-papers don't really get the support they need because of reasons I outlined in my last post in this thread. Most are online and beware that some of them are just as hysterical as the rightwing ones. Huffingtonpost.co.uk would be a reasonable place to star.

• Advertisement

Is it Flat Earth News, by Nick Davies? Its a fantastic book, really opened my eyes to the practices of the modern media.

Got it in one! ;)

Don't think any paper is immune to it. Maybe the English Independent which just muddles along doing its own thing, regardless of financial results. They publish i as well, pretty good spot that, could turn out a very innovative idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Mail is ok if you are on holidays in Spain or France or somewhere as its printed out there daily.
    I don't know how it could be chosen over the Independent here at home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hectorh

I will never understand these debates about newpaper quality or the quality of media in general. On the rare occasion I decide to buy a paper this is my thought process-

• Lazy/Not bothered thinking mood- The Star/Other Tabloid
    • Serious mood- Irish Times, The Guardian
    • Serious mood (no arm room)- Indo Tabloid Version
    I watch everything from Fox News/Press TV to Al Jazeera/Current TV. I read articles from various websites and apps aswell. No news source can be completely impartial so IMO it's important to see what everybody's being fed when I get the chance. Sensationalist tripe will always dominate the media once there's a market for it- it's unavoidable without censorship. I'm more concerned by the vast amount of people who trust everything they read to be reliable than the actual media source itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The Times (the English one) is a reasonably good paper. Doesn't seem to have any overriding bias or agenda (whether it be left-right wing or pro-anti any political/social stance) handed down from the top from what I can tell. The articles tend to be well written and decently researched. It's not flawless by any means but I'd have to put it top of the pile from the papers (UK and Ireland) I've read over the years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

K-9 wrote: »
    In Ireland? Probably the Irish Times but even it isn't the paper of "record" it claims to be.
    By far the best of a bad lot.

Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement