Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Daily Mail really that bad?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

British Conservatism draped in the trappings of a tri colour. Not for me. That being said all newspapers have an audience, and all audiences have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Yes is it that bad. It´s not snobbery. Just blatent lie after lie.
    Take this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1246886/Pictured-Three-cheetahs-spare-tiny-antelopes-life--play-instead.html for example. Cheetahs making friends with an impala.
    Yeah, sure, it´s trivial nonsense but that´s not even my problem,
    it´s totally fabricated.

Conventiently forgot to include this and this in the photo series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Two newspapers I will never buy The Irish Daily Mail and The Sun :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Azure_sky wrote: »
    British Conservatism draped in the trappings of a tri colour. Not for me. That being said all newspapers have an audience, and all audiences have an agenda.

No, the audiences are told their agenda by these papers. The folk that read tabloids aren't a thinking folk. They do not come to opinions through deep thought and reflection. They read the Mail that tells them that the polish are eating swans and the Nigerians get free cars and then they don't like them things any more. Then they have half drunken rants in the locals about them or on the site or whatever it is they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Yes is it that bad. It´s not snobbery. Just blatent lie after lie.
    Take this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1246886/Pictured-Three-cheetahs-spare-tiny-antelopes-life--play-instead.html for example. Cheetahs making friends with an impala.
    Yeah, sure, it´s trivial nonsense but that´s not even my problem,
    it´s totally fabricated.

Conventiently forgot to include this and this in the photo series...

Unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

mikeym wrote: »
    Two newspapers I will never buy The Irish Daily Mail and The Sun :mad:
    But would you read either eh? .... Bet you would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What annoys me most about the daily mail is the fact that they cant leave their bias or agendas out of things like film or book reviews. Their review of the wind that shakes the barley basically said the film was p1ss poor because the ira were in it! Several british media outlets have described the film as extremely well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you're going to discuss the Daily Mail you need to separate it's various entities. For example, The Daily Mail in England is much worse than The Irish Daily Mail. Completely different staff and also a pretty different approach to how they report the news. There isn't the same appetite in Ireland for 'immigrants out' style headlines as there is in the UK. And the reactionary reputation that the Daily Mail has largely comes from the UK paper, which is much more sensationalist. I'm not saying the Irish one isn't guilty of it as well, but its not nearly as bad.

The second thing you need to distinguish is The Irish Mail on Sunday from The Irish Daily Mail. The Irish Mail on Sunday is of a much higher quality and actually has done some very decent investigative reporting. The recent arrest of Ned O'Keeffe over mobile phone expenses came from a MOS investigation, for example.

The third thing to distinguish is the website from the paper versions. The website is a totally different beast and it's articles do not appear in any of the paper versions. It's all about big pictures, scantily clad women and flurry, nonsense stories that people can dip in and out of.

None of the above are to my taste (I'm more of a Guardian reader!) but wanted to point out the differences in the various editions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Remember Mary Harney and the issue of the €12 million for vaccines for young teenage girls

As I remember the Irish Daily Mail was screaming over the State not funding these vaccines
    At the same time the Daily Mail in the UK was putting out scare stories that the vaccines were unsafe

Just a bit mad

Didn't see it mentioned already in the thread
    Just this reminded me of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

RichieC wrote: »
    No, the audiences are told their agenda by these papers. The folk that read tabloids aren't a thinking folk. They do not come to opinions through deep thought and reflection. They read the Mail that tells them that the polish are eating swans and the Nigerians get free cars and then they don't like them things any more. Then they have half drunken rants in the locals about them or on the site or whatever it is they do.

Sorry but this post is complete bullshít. My father in law will read any rag (including the Mail) that's put in front of him. He's intelligent, liberal and thinks for himself. Where does he fit into your massive generalisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

inda_kenny wrote: »
    ive read worse , the guardian for example , if we ever get to a stage where guardian types are the norm in ireland or europe , im moving to afghanistan

Seriously? The Guardian worse than the Mail? At least there is consistancy with your choice of destination.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I read the Mail because it is €1 and the Idepenant and Irish Examiner are €1.90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

CL7 wrote: »
    Sorry but this post is complete bullshít. My father in law will read any rag (including the Mail) that's put in front of him. He's intelligent, liberal and thinks for himself. Where does he fit into your massive generalisation?

It was an attempt at some comedic generalisation. A little dry in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Ah I see. My apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Other way round I thought...?

Either's good.

Advertisement