Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom for sale

• 01-02-2012 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Eircom is 3.75bil in debt but now its up for sale.

i doubt anyone in their right mind will wanna buy it. Eircom has never been profitable in it's entire existance.

but maybe other broadband companies could finally buy chunks of its antiquated infrastructure without buying its debt.

http://www.herald.ie/news/debthit-eircom-goes-up-for-sale-3006015.html

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Eircom would immediately become a profitable company if they fired all the incompetent unionized staff that does nothing. As long as that does not happen, Eircom is doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

blaz wrote: »
    Eircom would immediately become a profitable company if they fired all the incompetent unionized staff that does nothing. As long as that does not happen, Eircom is doomed.

i think its far too late for that now.

UPC & magnet fibre have cornered the high speed net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Privatizing it fully in the first place was a shocking decision. The British state retained a substantial stake in BT, including the lines and look at up North, 99% broadband enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭kirving

blaz wrote: »

How does a company become profitable overnight if you change the staff. Doesn't work like that. Being sold and asset-stripped multiple times is what caused the debt problems, and now they have no money to invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Voltwad wrote: »
    Privatizing it fully in the first place was a shocking decision. The British state retained a substantial stake in BT, including the lines and look at up North, 99% broadband enabled.

Totally agree privatizing Eircom was the worst move in the first place.
    BT have enabled 99% of the North as you said whereas Eircom still have loads of exchanges without basic ADSL in Ireland,

It looks like Eircom are dead in the water at this point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

How would letting all the staff go make the company more profitable? You need to pay redundancy, hire new staff to do the jobs the old staff used to do etc.

Privatisation, well, let's just collectively take it as a lesson in why we don't sell off long-term strategic assets to make a few quick bucks.

Eircom still have some money left to invest, albeit not much. Not impossible to pull off a comeback, just extremely unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Voltwad wrote: »

Think Northern Ireland were the 1st in europe to have 99% broadband enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

If and when Eircom collapses BT will come in and buy up what remains and then maybe we will get a decent BB infrastructure throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭kirving

You have to rmember that Ireland has roughy a quarter the population dessity of the UK, meaing that it is far easier to recoup money spent on infrastructure.

How much does it cost, per metre to run fibre optic to(near) a farmers house, who lives too far from an exchange for a copper line to work? If the population density was higher, it might be viable, but it most cases it it ridiculously expensive.

I don't wan't my subscription to increase because someone who decided they wan't clean air and less traffic wants broadband. There are sacrifices both ways. If I chose to live somewhere where broadband wasn't available for economic reasons, I'd recognise why, and pay for whatever solution I needed to get it.

Anyway, the banks will come in and sell of what sections they can to the highest bidder in order to make some money back. Selling off national infrastructure in the first place was insane. Same goes for ESB, Bord Gaid RTE NL in the future etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You have to rmember that Ireland has roughy a quarter the population dessity of the UK, meaing that it is far easier to recoup money spent on infrastructure.

How much does it cost, per metre to run fibre optic to(near) a farmers house, who lives too far from an exchange for a copper line to work? If the population density was higher, it might be viable, but it most cases it it ridiculously expensive.

I don't wan't my subscription to increase because someone who decided they wan't clean air and less traffic wants broadband. There are sacrifices both ways. If I chose to live somewhere where broadband wasn't available for economic reasons, I'd recognise why, and pay for whatever solution I needed to get it.

Anyway, the banks will come in and sell of what sections they can to the highest bidder in order to make some money back. Selling off national infrastructure in the first place was insane. Same goes for ESB, Bord Gaid RTE NL in the future etc.

Sorry, but it's easy known you're from Dublin. :D

Every single citizen in this Country deserves the right to proper broadband, especially this farmer who lives in a remote area. Blame the current and successive past Governments for not putting a long term strategy in place, fudging the statistics to make us look good and letting the markets fend for themselves. This has created the huge digital divide in place today, cities move to 100mbit, rural dwellers struggle to get a few mbit from mobile services (not broadband) or given the last gasp satellite effort.

Forget about the past, forget about Eircom even, they're broke and not in a position to upgrade their network. Anyway, copper can't deliver what the future needs so their network is nearly obsolete. We need to build a new fibre network, one owned by the people, that all providers can deliver on, including Eircom. The ESB already have a fantastic network, one that delivers to every house in the country, why not give the job to them. We need a long term plan, longer than the 4 years our politicians are in power (which is all they seem to care about). We need a vision and some joined up thinking for once.

It's been estimated less than €5 Billion would bring fibre to most homes in the country, with the very remote getting proper fixed wireless. How much are those banks costing again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

As far as i recall the bank bail out cost a 100 Billion......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's been estimated less than €5 Billion would bring fibre to most homes in the country, with the very remote getting proper fixed wireless. How much are those banks costing again?

Actually the cost would be more like €2 Billion, based on a cost twice as high as the cost to rollout fibre in most other European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

what telecom company in there right mind would buy Eircom with there debt of 3.5billion euro.I think creditors better of letting it get liquidate and try get back most money they can by selling of the network .I can't see any telecom company turning Eircom back to profitability without investment in the network which can't be done with it bad debt of 3.5billion euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

If only we could get Google to buy Eircom and give us all fibre to the home.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Kansas-City-Google-Fiber-1-Gbps-fiber-optics-gigabit,news-37691.html

Condi wrote: »

Eh, no, more asset stripping
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0918/eircom-business.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sweet jesus, bloody 3g! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar :mad:

Living just out by Lucan in Dublin and can't even get a fixed line/wireless service... max is 1mb on a copper line, oh lawd

They f'd it up when they had some funds and privatised the bloomin' thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sorry, but it's easy known you're from Dublin. :D

Every single citizen in this Country deserves the right to proper broadband at the economic cost price of providing broadband to them, especially this farmer who lives in a remote area.
    Fixed that for ya!

• Advertisement

Fixed that for ya!

Sorry, but the truth is it's cheaper to do it right, the National Broadband Scheme gifted €250 million to Three to build the countries fourth independent mobile network, a network they were going to build anyway (and had to build as they lied to Comreg about the coverage they actually had without using the Vodafone network). This didn't bring a single person broadband, three sold thousands of phones though. Neither did they put any stipulation in the schemedonation that they must allow other parties access to the masts they erected in future. The fixed wireless providers were asked for their coverage maps before the scheme started and they somehow forgot to use the data. Three ended up covering many areas that already had proper fixed wireless and WiMax coverage. There'll be a tribunal about this yet, corruption at it's finest.

Sorry, but the truth is it's cheaper to do it right, the National Broadband Scheme gifted €250 million to Three to build the countries fourth independent mobile network, a network they were going to build anyway (and had to build as they lied to Comreg about the coverage they actually had without using the Vodafone network). This didn't bring a single person broadband, three sold thousands of phones though. Neither did they put any stipulation in the schemedonation that they must allow other parties access to the masts they erected in future. The fixed wireless providers were asked for their coverage maps before the scheme started and they somehow forgot to use the data. Three ended up covering many areas that already had proper fixed wireless and WiMax coverage. There'll be a tribunal about this yet, corruption at it's finest.

I got knocked off of a perfectly fine fixed wireless service I had been using for years for a wimax/3g subsitute... The catch was the company offered no viable alternative... So I pretty much was told bye bye, no more internet for you after years or being a perfectly good customer... ridiculous

This kinda incompetent stuff really pisses me off... They're a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

for the love of god, lets hope this is not true!
    Not another tribunal into a telecommunications company....

We're still finishing the tribunal into Esat Digifone and the award of their licence!
    [disclaimer]I'm not pre-empting the tribunal's decision by saying anything untoward happened, I'm just saying that there is a tribunal investigating into the affair [/disclaimer]

Was it not a telecommunications involved in the shady sale of the Johnston, Mooney and O'Brien site in Ballsbridge all those years ago:confused:!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

How does a company become profitable overnight if you change the staff. Doesn't work like that. Being sold and asset-stripped multiple times is what caused the debt problems, and now they have no money to invest.

It does not happen like that i agree, but its fairly obvious the middle management people and upper management folks are clueless in what are the right approaches to running a successful enterprise. They'll save money (wages and bigger pensions) long term sacking some of these idiots. Of course this will not happen company-big wigs usually sack people below them for the mistakes they've made.

We've seen what kind of people ran some of our banks into the ground. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if similar like-minded individuals run Eircom.

How does a company like Eircom become unprofitable? They charge well and above for their Internet and heap tax on it and tax the bills you get from having an Eircom phone (if you have one) and charge you line retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Trying to attract new companies to Ireland is essential and not all companies what to locate to cities. So having an sophisticated broadband infrastructure countrywide was of utmost importance. Eircom, wasn't the company to do this and has proven to be a company of failure.We now lag behind countries much poorer then us financially, but those countries had the foresight to understand the internet can create jobs.

I be uncertain how attractive Eircom would be to potential buyers. Obviously no buyer wants to take on debt not made by them. DSL is slow and old generation internet and the potential for new customers is limited

America, mainland Europe, Asia years ago slowly but surely upgraded from DSL to cable and supply now their service both to cities and the countryside. We only supply cable here to select locations and that market pretty much is tapped into by UPC and Magnet and others already.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Every single citizen in this Country deserves the right to proper broadband, especially this farmer who lives in a remote area.

We need to build a new fibre network, one owned by the people, that all providers can deliver on, including Eircom. The ESB already have a fantastic network, one that delivers to every house in the country, why not give the job to them.

Mr farmer can have proper broadband he just has to give Niall Quinn a tinkle:
    http://www.qsat.ie/broadband
    If he wants 100mb move to a city

Yea I agree on the ESB, theres quite a good thread on here on Irelands fibre network. NRA have their own network aswell as a few others. Definate need for a overall body for comms infastructure.

Although knowing our politicians, a project to combine elements of several different organisations would require an advisory group to be set up to inform the steering group who would report to the department who need an external audit to make sure international best practice was adhered to only for the project to be later shelved due to difficult economic conditions....caused by the previous government (aaarrrgh why cant we do things quicker in Ireland!)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

bk wrote: »
    Actually the cost would be more like €2 Billion, based on a cost twice as high as the cost to rollout fibre in most other European countries.

just curious where you got the €2 Billion figure?

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Internationally comparative rollouts indicate you could do around 90% of the Irish population with FTTX FOR 2bn and the rest with fixed wireless..the most rural 10% in effect.

Even eircoms much trumpeted 100m 2012 investment would do c. 40000 largely urban premises which = 2.5k per premises if delivered.

There are 2m premises in the state so discounting 200k of those that means EVEN eircom could do the 1.8m premises for 4.4bn.....they owe 3.6bn :(

Mr farmer can have proper broadband he just has to give Niall Quinn a tinkle:
    http://www.qsat.ie/broadband
    If he wants 100mb move to a city

Yea I agree on the ESB, theres quite a good thread on here on Irelands fibre network. NRA have their own network aswell as a few others. Definate need for a overall body for comms infastructure.

Although knowing our politicians, a project to combine elements of several different organisations would require an advisory group to be set up to inform the steering group who would report to the department who need an external audit to make sure international best practice was adhered to only for the project to be later shelved due to difficult economic conditions....caused by the previous government (aaarrrgh why cant we do things quicker in Ireland!)

lol at the 1mb download speed and 1gb of data a month for a satellite "broadband" connection

oh lawd that's almost insulting to the word broadband and the pings would be off the charts... Mr farmer shouldn't have to move to a city to get an average simple connection for such a small country its a travesty that we have these below par midband solutions of lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Schools not on the fibre network are bring provided 100mb connections via FWA so why not make this available to all people off the fibre network? At a reasonable cost I might add.

Advertisement