Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Official Driving Theory Test editions...

Options
  • 01-02-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello,
    Could anymore here please tell me if there is really a difference between the 4th and 5th edition of the Official Driving Theory Test book+CD or not?
    I have been trying to learn months ago when I ordered the book+CD with them and received the 4th edition... but when I check their website now they say the actual exam questions will be based on the 5th edition... Is there really a big difference between the two? Do I really need to get the 5th and study it? Thanks. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't know about the CDs, but I had the 4th and 5th editions of the book, unfortunately it's been a while since I looked at them both and I've just given the 5th to a cousin. I wouldn't say they are radically different, but I think the layout changed a bit and there's less is it A/B/C/D, etc, though honestly my memory is a little hazy. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Keltika777

Hehe,
    Thanks for the reply Black Oil.

I think I'll get the 5th edition; a friend just told me that some questions can be quite tricky/confusing and that I should study the new material well as it's on it that the test will be based (to increase my chance for passing!). lol!

Cheers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Fourth edition been around a while the past two to three years. The most recent is the 5th edition but had to be redone due to errors. Not sure if they updated it since it were out last May.

Hi,
    Last April 2011, when I ordered their pack (book+CD), I received the 4th Edition of November 2010. I went through their website last night and ordered the 5th Edition, of October 2011... the most recent one on which the theory test will based (I guess). When I receive the new version, I'll see if there is any [big] difference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Must have been redone by correcting the errors and updating to the 5th edition out last october so.

• Advertisement

There are few changes to some questions. The "You" is replaced by "The driver", and while in the past edition you can be asked to mark 1,2 or 3 answers, in this version, all questions I took had only one answer to mark. I find this new edition better, even the book as it gives better explanations. In two words, this 5th edition is "more educational". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Keltika777 wrote: »
    There are few changes to some questions. The "You" is replaced by "The driver", and while in the past edition you can be asked to mark 1,2 or 3 answers, in this version, all questions I took had only one answer to mark. I find this new edition better, even the book as it gives better explanations. In two words, this 5th edition is "more educational". :D

There are still multiple answer questions.
    Some questions have been reworded.
    When tests are completed you can review answers, the CD goes into why the answers are as they are by explaining the reasoning. They reckoned that people were simply learning them off by heart as opposed to having an understanding of the rules.

I've done more than 600 questions and didn't find yet any with multiple answers. Will check the rest. Thanks for the info.

Yes, there are explanations for answers on the CD and that's why I said it's better edition. :D

Good luck to anyone preparing for the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

i just got the official driver theory test 5th edition pc cd rom today, with the pc cd rom was a slip of paper telling me to update the pc cd rom via a link printed on the slip of paper,

when i tried to update the link would not work, so i emailed the company with the useless link,

still waiting on a reply,

has anyone had this issue? any help anybody.

Hi exercise,
    I personally ordered the 5th edition CD-Rom with the book, and had no problem or any paper like the one you received. I was studying for category B. If you're studying the same category, there's no need to upgrade anything (according to the attached document), but if you're studying for Bus/Truck, you'll have to go through the instructions they listed. It's a bit strange... Let's see what they will answer you. Do they have any phone number so you can directly call them and get assistance?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

hello, im doing the bus theory, so i need the update,

its probably an added few questions, in the theory test?

im still waiting on a reply from the email i sent yesterday,

i will keep you posted on my progress,

after waiting for an reply,
    i phoned rsa prometric in cork, was talking to some chap,
    he said, that some people recieved the pc cd rom and it was blank, not working when they inserted in the computer, so thats what they update link is for, to help these people fixing the pc cd rom, to get it working in their computer, my pc cd rom is working fine, no issues here, so far, im only on 200 questions,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

exercise wrote: »
    i just got the official driver theory test 5th edition pc cd rom today, with the pc cd rom was a slip of paper telling me to update the pc cd rom via a link printed on the slip of paper,

when i tried to update the link would not work, so i emailed the company with the useless link,

still waiting on a reply,

has anyone had this issue? any help anybody.

I suspect you need more practice working your keyboard :) The link in your screenshot works just fine: http://www.imagitech.co.uk/SoftwareUpdate/The Official Driver Theory Test/2.0/English/The Official Driver Theory Test 5th Edition Update 1 (English) Setup.exe

This patch fixes the problems with Bus theory tests.

Thank you rustedjimmies,

whats thats %20 ? between the words, how would anyone no to put that in, for the link to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

That just means a space and I didn't put them in. I just typed in the link from your screenshot into the address bar and hit return. So the gaps between the words are actually just spaces although they kinda look like underscores as the link is underlined. Either way, it's a terrible way to physically print out such a verbose link. I mean, the RSA have http://theorytest.ie with a News section. They could've just had the link embedded there and printed on the piece of paper you have something like, "Please go to http://theorytest.ie/news for an important update to this test." But, this is Ireland so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Is there anywhere online to do sample tests? I've a test booked for next weekend, figure I'd need to start studying. I tried and passed a sample test online a couple of years ago without having looked at any material whatsoever, but I cant find the test now.

Failing an online version, does anyone know of a downloadable option for the official guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

TPD wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online to do sample tests? I've a test booked for next weekend, figure I'd need to start studying. I tried and passed a sample test online a couple of years ago without having looked at any material whatsoever, but I cant find the test now.

Failing an online version, does anyone know of a downloadable option for the official guide?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056586572

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

loobylou wrote: »
    TPD wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056586572

There is also an Irish road sign quiz app for smartphone it may be a good way to brush up on your knowledge of the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ron vos

Hello all.
    I got my fiancee the cd for the theory test

she is doing the car test.

the cd shows about 1350 pages with questiions and answers.

how many of these are for the car theory test?

she is now at page 720.

thx

ron

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

:)got cd too u pick the section u wish to learn which is cars. 845 question is for cars.

ul see pictures of lorrys moterbikes bus cars, u pic the car

hope it helps:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shivers1111

Thanks for link. I tried typing it but would never work and I was getting frustrated. As it turns out, I didnt need the download as it say my CDROM has ready got the update.
    So why put the slip in with it?:mad:
    Also the 5th edition is not in keeping with the currents laws which changed some months ago. Truck weight restrictions have increased etc so hope the test reflected the 5th Edition and not the current law restriction or people will be confused.:confused:

Advertisement