Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1848 Tricolour festival. Waterford City

Options
  • 01-02-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Just to let people know.

the 2nd TF Meagher / 1848 tricolour festival will take place in March.

www.1848tricolour.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There is a bit of a history to the Tricolour and it was not always the "Irish" flag.

I can't remember it but was blue the national colour something ? Is that not the case with the Presidents flag ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Yes, St Patrick's Blue is the official national colour. Here is the Presidential flag...AFAIK it's also over the door of Irish Embassies around the world.

flag_of_thepresident_of_ireland_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Green comes to prominence really with 1798 -- "the wearing of the green", green harp flags of the rebels (think Leinster Flag)

Another good example of use of Blue for Ireland is of course the UK royal coat of arms:

496px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Of course Ireland is unique in been the only country in which the national arms are a musical instrument.

So how did we go all green ?

CDfm wrote: »
    So how did we go all green ?

1798 -- the whole "wearing of the green" and all that. Of course to me a green flag with a harp is either Leinster flag or Irish Navy Jack. On a related note Leinster rugby stole Connacht colours. Leinster should be wearing green and Connacht blue (the junior side have a blue jersey) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

& Munster Blue & Gold .......not Red!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

dubhthach wrote: »
    1798 -- the whole "wearing of the green" and all that. Of course to me a green flag with a harp is either Leinster flag or Irish Navy Jack. On a related note Leinster rugby stole Connacht colours. Leinster should be wearing green and Connacht blue (the junior side have a blue jersey) ;)

Funny you should mention the Leinster and Connacht Rugby colours. I have often thought the same myself that they should each be wearing the others colours. I wonder how it came to pass to be as it is today.

MarchDub wrote: »
    Yes, St Patrick's Blue is the official national colour. Here is the Presidential flag...AFAIK it's also over the door of Irish Embassies around the world.

flag_of_thepresident_of_ireland_2.png

Presidential blue is a different shade to Royal blue , I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

check out the website to see what is happening this weekend in Waterford @ the Festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dubhthach wrote: »
    Of course Ireland is unique in been the only country in which the national arms are a musical instrument.

Nope. :p
    Switzerland has the alpenhorn and Vietnam has the kettle drum, (and yes, they are musical instruments, despite what they sound like). I'm sure the more erudite members will add a few more.
    From memory there has always been a row about the Irish blue; it does go back to the 1600's but the Cross (saltire) of St. Patrick is red, and is used for keeping the peace when we want to be 'inclusive'.

• Advertisement

A bit of topic but I saw someone post elsewhere that there is a connection between St Patricks Cross and the Confererate Flag

ie-stpat.gif

St Patrick's Cross

http://home.connect.ie/morley/cros_e.htm

800px-Second_national_flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America.svg.png

Confederate Flag

The saltire there is blue and not red.

CDfm wrote: »
    A bit of topic but I saw someone post elsewhere that there is a connection between St Patricks Cross and the Confererate Flag

ie-stpat.gif

St Patrick's Cross

http://home.connect.ie/morley/cros_e.htm

800px-Second_national_flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America.svg.png

Confederate Flag

The saltire there is blue and not red.

Well Saltires are quite common. In case of St. Patrick's Flag it matches the coat of Arms of the Fitzgearlds.

As for Confederate Flag most people mistake the term "Stars and Bars" for the "confederate battle flag" (which forms the corner of the above flag). The "Stars and Bars" was the original national flag up until 1863.

500px-CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg.png

Part of the reason for using a seperate battle flag was due to confusion in battle between the "Stars and Stripes" and "Stars and Bars".
    500px-Battle_flag_of_the_US_Confederacy.svg.png

Advertisement