Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else ever bought a 'new' game in gamestop, brought it home to see the disc has scratches/marks?

I have no doubt this game has been previously used.

It was in their buy 2 get 1 free on xbox 360/ps3 games. Even with the offer the 3 games were slightly more expensive than can be bought online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

buy 2 get 1 free? sounds like the used section to me...?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Considering their used section is bigger than their new section, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people have had this happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

It was definitely the new section. All of them were covered in stickers * reduced from 44.99 to 22.99 * * buy 3 and get the cheapest game free * It was for ps3 and xbox 360.

Most of them were over priced cheap games such as bioshock, crackdown 2. The other 2 games I got were ok except for one minor scratch. None of them were sealed though.

Also bought a 'new' game off gamestop website and it had the left overs of a pre-owned sticker on the back. Game was not sealed and one or two scratches on the disc but looked new otherwise.

I have a feeling they sell some used games as new if they think they are passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All new games should be wrapped in plastic. If you brought the game box to the counter and they got a disk from the drawers behind them, then it could have just been a (fairly stupid) accident and they gave you a 2nd hand disk instead. Straight back to the shop wicha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

If I buy a new game and it's not wrapped in plastic I make it a point that they show me the disc/disc's and any dlc codes that should be there just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I know a guy who works in Gamestop and sometimes if they get a game in a few days before release, they get to bring em home and try them out. Dunno if they are technically allowed do this but maybe thats what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I know a guy who works in Gamestop and sometimes if they get a game in a few days before release, they get to bring em home and try them out. Dunno if they are technically allowed do this but maybe thats what it was.
    Yup, this is what happens alright, although there's no sometimes about it, most new releases are evidently borrowed by employees. There was a fuss kicked up about it online awhile back but I don't think they ever changed their policy despite the outrage.

EDIT: Here's the original news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

great, so any time I bought a new unsealed game from gamestop (which is around 75 percent of the time) it was more than likely already used? never buying anything from there again.

they also had a load of bog standard 8gb SDHC cards for sale there beside the playstation portable stuff for 24.99, double the average price and they're not even compatible. what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Used to work for Gamestop and yeap, you were able to "rent out" games from the new release section. We'd also get to play them on our lunch break. Great for staff, really crap for customers though.
    Though if the games your buying have serious scratched on them I'd imagine that it's because of either damge while being stored or the staff member simply grabbed from the wrong place and you did end up with a second hand copy. It would be very rare that the games would get damaged with staff taking them out (though I wouldn't rule it out completely of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can see this turning into another Gamestop Hate thread soon enough :pac:

Disgusting how you shell out 50 quid for a game only to know the staff have been passing it around, whether they damage it or not, it's no longer a new game. Either the box should be in sealed plastic or the disc should be sealed on all new sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

They used to allow employees to take new titles out on 'loan', but scrapped that. Second hand stuff can still be taken out as far as i'm aware, but no doubt some employees grab the odd new title

What games have scuff marks? I'd imagine that the stuff in a 3 for 2 type sale on 'new' product would be back catalogue titles that are just clearance stock at this stage ie. the disk has probably been sat in a drawer for a year or two.

Advertisement