Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This type of Installer will destroy the Aerial business

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

@veyron
    I do hope Revenue get these guys if they are not tax registered (Adverts and done deal)
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/investigations-prosecutions-division.html

I also hope that Saorview/RTE take action against Installers using the Saorview logo without permission.

The public need protection and yes I also support the work that the ISAA is trying to do.

I have no connection with the satellite and aerial business.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

veyron wrote: »
    Scaller
    i myself think its time to report these cowboys the squeeze needs to be put on them, i do know the revenue is now targeting such outlets like donedeal and looking into these guys, i know myself any cowboy i see going forward or anymore jobs i have to go back to clean up there crap im reporting it to saorview, i have a guy advertising locally and he is using saorview logo everywhere and he is an ex [sky engineer} i do think that Saorview have been clever because all these idoits have been flushed out with there advertising and there saorview logos all over there vans , its then up to saorview to deal with these guys and protect there logo which they are keen to do, i think its up to the regulated guys, the relevant trade bodies which only seems to be the ISAA who are actually doing anything to kake on the fight and make it difficult for these guys to operate, and yes i am amember of the ISAA before anyone asks i think it is a fantastic idea

veyron. I do agree in part with what you are saying but its up to RTE/Saorview to Inform the public and to stop these cowboys.
    All it takes is a TV add a radio add and newspapers to inform people.

There is no point in RTE coming along all the time and saying that

SAORVIEW is not in a position to establish the competence of any aerial installer and therefore there is no such thing as a SAROVIEW installer. However, SAORVIEW can direct you to a number of trade bodies with competence in this area who undertake vetting and registration of their members. If you require an aerial installer, the following organisations are recognised by SAORVIEW will be able to provide you with a list of registered members in your area.

The aerial installation trade in Ireland is unregulated at present.

Even though there are 3 recognised bodies whose installers have paid hard earned cash to join and they are still not been highlighted to the public. This is totally wrong for RTE to be saying.

Saorview is a TV service from RTE received through an AERIAL. So if RTE are making changes to the way people watch TV and some people will be forced to get new Aerials installed to receive Saorview then RTE should not be saying this SAORVIEW is not in a position to establish the competence of any aerial installer and therefore there is no such thing as a SAROVIEW installer RTE should at least give the registered Installers a lot more publicity and make them more available to the public. If that was to happen i would say that the recognised bodies would have a lot more genuine installers joining. RTE them selves should be clamping down hard on all these done deal sites and Market stalls and all the small adds which are mis-selling non approved equipment and using the saorview logo which only should be used by Legit registered installers.

RTE will see for themselves who are the real Electrical retailers and the legit installers after Oct24th or next year when all the hype has died down and the sales companies and so called Saorview approved agents and installers will have disappeared on to some other new fad. But it will be probably to late for the legit installer to save his business by then after trying to compete against these crowds with restrictions been placed on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

zerks wrote: »
    It's getting to the stage that we may get Dominic Littlewood over to coordinate sting operations on these guys.

Terrible

http://youtu.be/RBog9q3PiHM

Premier wrote: »
    It's getting to the stage that we may get Dominic Littlewood over to coordinate sting operations on these guys.

Terrible

http://youtu.be/RBog9q3PiHM

Brilliant, Would be great if RTE or TV3 would run a programme in Ireland.
    I will never trust an Installer with Red Bull ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fixed the video for you Premier.

That's unreal,I remember seeing that particular show. £645 for a £30 job:eek:

I saw the aftermath of an install in Wexford where the guy ran a cable across the TOP of a mantlepiece,he told the woman she could use it to dry her socks,needless to say he got no repeat business from her friends & neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Fixed the video for you Premier.

That's unreal,I remember seeing that particular show. £645 for a £30 job:eek:

I saw the aftermath of an install in Wexford where the guy ran a cable across the TOP of a mantlepiece,he told the woman she could use it to dry her socks,needless to say he got no repeat business from her friends & neighbours.

Cheers for fixing the video, was a bit sleepy this morning too much vodka and red bull yesterday,

There is a crowd on Donedeal recruiting for sales people in all areas to sell 3 mobile; saorview ;airtricity and gas full training provided
    excellent earning potential team leaders to be chosen from best sales leaders

Ah now RTE its time to remove the Blinkers to what is going on.

This crowd a long with a lot lot more contract sales reps are selling saorview door to door or at a kiosk to the public they work on commission and they are selling it for an Installation company who send out Installers who work on commission plus the Installation company is buying the equipment in bulk from a big supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

scaller wrote: »
    There is a crowd on Donedeal recruiting for sales people in all areas to sell 3 mobile; saorview ;airtricity and gas full training provided
    excellent earning potential team leaders to be chosen from best sales leaders

Ah now RTE its time to remove the Blinkers to what is going on.

This crowd a long with a lot lot more contract sales reps are selling saorview door to door or at a kiosk to the public they work on commission and they are selling it for an Installation company who send out Installers who work on commission plus the Installation company is buying the equipment in bulk from a big supplier.
    And what's the problem with any of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Door to door ANYTHING selling should be illegal.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote: »
    And what's the problem with any of that?

This crowd are wanting door to door reps to sell saorview which is not allowed by RTE.
    They can sell 3.Airtricity or whatever to their hearts content but saorview is meant to be a big no no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

There is a crowd on Donedeal recruiting for sales people in all areas to sell 3 mobile; saorview ;airtricity and gas full training provided . . .

The last one of those types that turned up on my doorstep must have been the most pitiful excuse for a salesman I've come across; I can't even remember what he was pushing.

Obviously people are so desperate for jobs they'll take on the likes of this despite the lack of any aptitude for selling & what this says for their interest level or knowledge of the 'product' I can only wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veyron

i have seen and know a company selling saorview door to door in wexford the individual is a complete idiot and anyone who works for him either doesnt get paid and gets shafted somewhere along the line, saorview were made aware of his antics but only as recently as last week i heard he is still at it and basically giving two fingers to everyone, he previously did sky door to door and was nicknamed the churn and burn king of the south east, for the life of me i cant understand why action cant be taken against him and he:s equals, as for his installers dont get me started untrained and dont care what they do,its this crap the winds me up

He wouldn't be from near Ballywilliam by any chance?

This crowd are wanting door to door reps to sell saorview which is not allowed by RTE.
    They can sell 3.Airtricity or whatever to their hearts content but saorview is meant to be a big no no
    While I'm no fan or door to door sales tactics, I'm not aware of it being illegal.

And I'm not aware of any policy that Saorview can't be sold door to door.

Sure, you can't represent yourself as being from Saorview or being Saorview authorised, but you can go door to door and sell an aerial setup for Saorview. I've not seen any evidence that this donedeal.ie crowd are doing any wrong.

he sure would zerks you have come across him so

• Advertisement

he sure would zerks you have come across him so

Every Legit installer in County has heard of Him. All you would have to do is look at his Adds on the Net for Door to Door selling from him.

cast iron
    saorview have categorically said that saorview cant be sold door to door, how many people do u know who would buy an aerial setup at the door ? these people that are selling are piggy backing on the saorview name and are preying on peoples lack of knowledge of whats going on there is certain regulations about selling door to door as i have heard of a big company selling door to door a lot in dublin and basically bullying people into buying combi boxes there was war on 2 fm awhile back and the BAI got involved and the consumers right organization the poper name has left me some one can correct me on that .

To sell Saorview approved products to the public you would have to be registered and approved by RTE/Saorview as a retailer.
    For any body who thinks that Door to Door selling of Saorview is approved or Legal. Ask saorview brian or contact saorview directly http://www.saorview.ie/contact/
    http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/

Be safe. Neither SAORVIEW nor RTÉ will ever send anyone to your door to check your television or aerial.

Neither SAORVIEW nor RTÉ has commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities under the SAORVIEW or RTÉ brands. The SAORVIEW logo is not permitted for use by any direct sales companies. Any approach from door-to-door sellers purporting to be acting for SAORVIEW is categorically not endorsed by SAORVIEW.

cast iron
    saorview have categorically said that saorview cant be sold door to door, how many people do u know who would buy an aerial setup at the door ? these people that are selling are piggy backing on the saorview name and are preying on peoples lack of knowledge of whats going on there is certain regulations about selling door to door as i have heard of a big company selling door to door a lot in dublin and basically bullying people into buying combi boxes there was war on 2 fm awhile back and the BAI got involved and the consumers right organization the poper name has left me some one can correct me on that .

Yep its here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056403779

Crystal Ball time: A year from now we get multiple threads from people with problems such as "my aerial fell down,who do I contact?" or "I was charged €400 for a saorview install and it doesn't work".

The amount of ignorance among the general public due to a mixture of poor information from RTE etc. and the usual way people zone out when anything new or technical is being discussed has left the public ripe for the picking from unscrupulous guys.
    A quick scan through Donedeal etc. gives some idea of the scale of the issue.

Imagine if all these guys were installing electrical or plumbing services,we'd have uproar and a clampdown.

That guy Veyron mentioned has ruined the Sky trade in Wexford,he sent out reps to sell,sell,sell and has left behind a lot of mistrust among the general public regarding Sky tv.People see the Sky logo and don't differentiate between a reseller & Sky themselves,so if the reseller dirties his bib then automatically Sky are perceived to be the bad guys.Saorview is heading down that slope but there is a chance for the powers that be to put a halt to it.

Anyone approved should be forced to carry official saorview id when doing installs and if they are just retailers who subby out the installs then their installers should work under the same rule.That way old mrs. Murphy can be sure she's getting a reputable professional to do the job and not just a guy with a ladder who'll walk away with her money and no come-back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Imagine if all these guys were installing electrical or plumbing services,we'd have uproar and a clampdown.

There is just as much cowboy work in them areas as well. The electrical im involved in myself, some of the things seen would defy belief.

To sell Saorview approved products to the public you would have to be registered and approved by RTE/Saorview as a retailer.
    Really? Where do they state this?
    For any body who thinks that Door to Door selling of Saorview is approved or Legal. Ask saorview brian or contact saorview directly http://www.saorview.ie/contact/
    There's no need. Here's what Saorview have to say on the matter (from Saorview's website):

There may be genuine door-to-door sales people in your area offering legitimate services associated with digital switchover. As with any stranger appearing on your doorstep, please exercise caution when dealing with any person offering to install a set-top-box or suggesting you need a new aerial installation*.

So yes, door to door sales are legal. Trying to indicate otherwise without qualification is wrong and misleading.

Ask Saorview brian is Door to Door selling of Saorview Legal or not.

Or better still ask the head man Ray Maguire from RTE can people sell Saorview to the general public with out going through the Approval and registration Process
    or can sales reps go door to door selling Saorview.
    http://www.saorview.ie/contact/

The 1st part of that paragraph on the saorview site http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/
    Neither SAORVIEW nor RTÉ has commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities under the SAORVIEW or RTÉ brands. The SAORVIEW logo is not permitted for use by any direct sales companies. Any approach from door-to-door sellers purporting to be acting for SAORVIEW is categorically not endorsed by SAORVIEW.

We are aware of a small number of people misrepresenting themselves as employees of RTÉ or SAORVIEW. Some of these people may be wearing clothing with the RTÉ or SAORVIEW logos, these people are not employees or agents of RTÉ or SAORVIEW. Appropriate action is being taken against anyone misusing either brand to further their sales activities.

Door to Door selling of anything else is not the topic here.
    Guys can go out and sell Sky,FTA, BB Airtricity or Gas if they want.
    what is misleading is guys going door to door selling Saorview to people who don't need it or selling Combi boxes as Saorview boxes.

Ask Saorview brian is Door to Door selling of Saorview Legal or not.

Or better still ask the head man Ray Maguire from RTE can people sell Saorview to the general public with out going through the Approval and registration Process
    or can sales reps go door to door selling Saorview.
    http://www.saorview.ie/contact/
    There's no need to ask anyone. It's all on the website as you say.
    The 1st part of that paragraph on the saorview site http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/

We are aware of a small number of people misrepresenting themselves as employees of RTÉ or SAORVIEW. Some of these people may be wearing clothing with the RTÉ or SAORVIEW logos, these people are not employees or agents of RTÉ or SAORVIEW. Appropriate action is being taken against anyone misusing either brand to further their sales activities.
    You are incorrect if you think this means door to door selling is not allowed. It clearly states that Saorview has not:
    "commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities under the SAORVIEW or RTÉ brands."

In other words, door to door selling is not allowed IF they are claiming to be from Saorview or RTE, as they are most certainly not Saorview or RTE employees. Like it or not, any Tom, Dick or Harry can sell a Saorview aerial setup door to door. So can you and I if we feel like it.
    what is misleading is guys going door to door selling Saorview to people who don't need it or selling Combi boxes as Saorview boxes.
    Agreed.

And do you have a link to where:
    "To sell Saorview approved products to the public you would have to be registered and approved by RTE/Saorview as a retailer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Scalller,

No where does its illegal to sell saorview door to door. Its illegal to mispresent oneself as an agent or employee if saorview. Very few things other than controled substances have laws regarding who can sell them. Look up free market and see what you learn.

Neither SAORVIEW nor RTÉ has commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities under the SAORVIEW or RTÉ brands. The SAORVIEW logo is not permitted for use by any direct sales companies. Any approach from door-to-door sellers purporting to be acting for SAORVIEW is categorically not endorsed by SAORVIEW. From above Saorview web site

If you think you’ve been deceived or misled in relation to the purchase of digital TV receiving equipment, for example a TV, set-top box, aerial or satellite dish or the installation of any of this equipment, contact the National Consumer Agency on 1890 432 432 or 01 402 5555. From above Saorview Web site.

I would also advise People to contact Revenue in relation to above.

Guys I am going on what I have been told Directly from contacting Saorview last year regarding door to door selling of the Saorview product.
    Why don't you contact them yourselves.

Hopefully Saorview Brian will be along over the next few days and will clear up this Door to Door selling once and for all. And if I am wrong in what I am saying then I will have no problem in holding out me hand for a Slap.

Perhaps you misinterpreted what was said directly to you last year as you have misinterpreted what's on their website. It's all there in black and white. There will be no regulation of Saorview, in the same way there is no regulation of the existing terrestrial setup.

And as Friendo shows in his post, anyone abusing the door to door sales route should be reported to the NCA. I'm not sure if it's Saorview's job to police this area. The NCA would seem the more logical route.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

Words taken from a Donedeal ADD. We are authorised installers of SAORVIEW And this so called Authorised Installer proudly displays this picture of a authorised Aerial install for saorview. :eek::eek:

Lets have a game of finding the Faults with this picture.

Although i agree that there are faults with this install , missing bolts, using a sky bracket instead of a steel galvanised wall bracket and some other faults pointed out but i dont understand why it needs to be on the chimney with pole and lashing bracket, A good promax meter will soon tell you the signal strength and quality of the DTT signal and if the measurements are within the recommended levels then i see no problem with putting the Aerial on the wall as shown in the picture.People posting about house being across the way from other houses and seeing reflection of trees in the window and leaves growing in the summer would need to get a life.

A bit of balance might be a good idea

Ive done plenty of installations in Howth where the signal from clermont carn is very ropey and have turned aerials towards three rock , into the
    HILL OF HOWTH and got good DTT signal and yet zero Analogue signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

scruffy66 wrote: »
    Although i agree that there are faults with this install , missing bolts, using a sky bracket instead of a steel galvanised wall bracket and some other faults pointed out but i dont understand why it needs to be on the chimney with pole and lashing bracket, A good promax meter will soon tell you the signal strength and quality of the DTT signal and if the measurements are within the recommended levels then i see no problem with putting the Aerial on the wall as shown in the picture.People posting about house being across the way from other houses and seeing reflection of trees in the window and leaves growing in the summer would need to get a life.

The only good reason I can think for putting a TV aerial on the front wall of a house is if the wanted signal is reasonably strong but has problems with multipath interference or co-channel interference. The former should not be a problem for DTT, the latter less of a potential problem but not eliminated entirely. In these two cases, the house itself may act as a shield to these problems. Another case may be if this wall faces away from a busy main road where impulse interference might be a problem. If what has been mentioned on this thread is true, sighting the aerial in this position may require PP. A grid/fireguard/colour king aerial if the wanted signal comes near "face on" to the front wall would be less obtrusive than a yagi as it wouldn't need to protrude more than about 30cm (a yagi would also be more prone to being knocked out of alignment or subject to vandalism).

Also the signal strength at such a position is almost certainly going to be less than one mounted on a chimney - the CAI recommend for DTT installations to ensure that signals can still be received when a 6db attenuator is placed between the downlead and receiver so that a transmitter on reduced power doesn't cause sudden loss of service (as opposed to a snowier picture on analogue). Unless the tiles have wiring in them and/or aluminium insulation is being used, you'd probably be better off placing the aerial in the attic especially if it only has to look through the tiles.

Whatever else the discussion the installation in question is an absolute train wreck that has been thrown together with no care for workmanship. If you're going to fit an aerial on to a wall (any wall) at least show a bit of professionalism in your work and keep it tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

A good promax meter will soon tell you the signal strength and quality of the DTT signal and if the measurements are within the recommended levels then i see no problem with putting the Aerial on the wall as shown in the picture.People posting about house being across the way from other houses and seeing reflection of trees in the window and leaves growing in the summer would need to get a life.

You think someone who can't even assemble an aerial properly has a good meter?

Nobody said this install wouldn't work. That's the problem; these guys are going round hoovering up all the easy money & then they'll just disappear as quickly as they appeared once they've filled their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

...People posting about house being across the way from other houses and seeing reflection of trees in the window and leaves growing in the summer would need to get a life...

Someone should tell the BBC: http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/help_receiving/reception_trees ;)

Re. Placement of aerial on front wall: Notwithstanding planning regulations (previously referenced), BEEB advice for getting the best digital reception from TV aerial:
    Your aerial should ideally be mounted outside and as high up as possible.
    Oh, it also recommends using a registered installer - Source.

There again, what would the Beeb know about television? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Ive done plenty of installations in Howth where the signal from clermont carn is very ropey and have turned aerials towards three rock , into the
    HILL OF HOWTH and got good DTT signal and yet zero Analogue signal.

Saorview signal power from Three Rock is hugely more than analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Someone should tell the BBC: http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/help_receiving/reception_trees ;)

Re. Placement of aerial on front wall: Notwithstanding planning regulations (previously referenced), BEEB advice for getting the best digital reception from TV aerial:

That large trees can cause signal problems? That an aerial should be as high as possible? They must of got sherlock holmes in:D

There is nothing on this tread that says that this guy put this aerial is on the front wall of a house [ only supposition]

I dont use sky brackets or sky dishes [they rot after a few years]

I only use decent compression f connectors [they aren't sold by the main suppliers who post on this site].

Some house's dont have chimneys and might have attic conversions.

Some house's might be old and have biscuit tiles ,which break very easy.

Some suppliers who post on this site have being selling sky brackets as aerial brackets and some till recently haven't being selling aerials at all.

There is no doubt that there are major faults with the install [using the sky bracket etc] , there is nothing wrong with putting an aerial on a back wall
    of a house , providing you can get adequate signal quality.

Sometimes people just dont want an aerial on there roof or their attic is converted, are you going to refuse the job even if the signal quality is perfect at the back wall of the house.

Just like some people dont like using more than one remote control and dont want to use a saorview box and a freesat box with 2 remotes and the TV one of course.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You think someone who can't even assemble an aerial properly has a good meter?

Nobody said this install wouldn't work. That's the problem; these guys are going round hoovering up all the easy money & then they'll just disappear as quickly as they appeared once they've filled their pockets.

Peter you have summed it up in your last post and the majority of these half trained Installers are following behind sales reps going Door to Door they are all working on Commission for a Installation company and the equipment is supplied from a big big supplier. RTE/Saorview have been told many times about this activity. Every decent installer in Ireland knows what going on. Genuine installers are been told that they cant Advertise Saorview (which is Destroying many an installers livelihood) that they need to join 1 of the 3 recognised bodies (which will cost x amount of money) and they still are competing against Chancers, Cowboys, and big contract Installation companies who are milking people of money because of the ASO.

And it was explained to the Saorview people at the trade seminar last April. That if RTE didn't act straight away then before the ASO date Saorview will end up the way Sky did and that is that the end product is very poorly installed by a badly trained installer working on commission working after a sales rep who is also working on commission and both of whom are contracted to a bigger company.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Neither SAORVIEW nor RTÉ has commissioned or endorsed any door-to-door sales activities under the SAORVIEW or RTÉ brands. The SAORVIEW logo is not permitted for use by any direct sales companies. Any approach from door-to-door sellers purporting to be acting for SAORVIEW is categorically not endorsed by SAORVIEW. From above Saorview web site

If you think you’ve been deceived or misled in relation to the purchase of digital TV receiving equipment, for example a TV, set-top box, aerial or satellite dish or the installation of any of this equipment, contact the National Consumer Agency on 1890 432 432 or 01 402 5555. From above Saorview Web site.

I would also advise People to contact Revenue in relation to above.

What has revenue got to do with it?

'To serve the community by fairly and efficiently collecting taxes and duties and implementing Customs controls.'
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/index.html

@ted1, Why don't you ask the Revenue

Another good site for work at heights;
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Work_at_Height/

Friendo,

i relaly don't see your point. are you suggesting that these people are not paying their taxes. Why not report Scallers company or Tony's company, or Tesco or RTE or anyone more. how are they more likely to be tax compliant?

your arguments are really weak.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Friendo,

i relaly don't see your point. are you suggesting that these people are not paying their taxes. What not report Scallers company or Tony's company, or Tesco or RTE or anyone more. how are they more likely to be tax compliant?

your arguments are really weak.

Why would I "What not report" RTE ?? Or do you mean "Why not report"
    http://www.rte.ie/about/
    RTÉ is a Public Service Broadcaster, a non-profit making organisation owned by the Irish people.

Peter you have summed it up in your last post and the majority of these half trained Installers are following behind sales reps going Door to Door they are all working on Commission for a Installation company and the equipment is supplied from a big big supplier.
    That may well be true. However, you have linked to one such company advertising on donedeal on another thread here recently, inferring that what they were doing was in some way wrong (I can't find it now). I've yet to be shown what they are doing wrong.
    Genuine installers are been told that they cant Advertise Saorview (which is Destroying many an installers livelihood) that they need to join 1 of the 3 recognised bodies (which will cost x amount of money) and they still are competing against Chancers, Cowboys, and big contract Installation companies who are milking people of money because of the ASO.
    Has an agreement not been reached recently where they could use the Saorview logo in limited circumstances?

RTE set out strict guidelines on the selling of Saorview but now it seems anyone can go knock a few doors,claim to be from RTE and sell stuff that isn't even certified.
    The amount of small ads that have popped up selling saorview and looking to recruit reps is unreal.99% of the boxes aren't even fully compatible let alone certified and this is what they are peddling to the public.

I can't blame the genuine,experienced installers from trying to protect their interests.
    We are getting a couple of posters here who feel they are fair game and any Joe Soap is entitled to drag the industry down through bandwaggoning and shoddy practices.
    Sure while we're at it lets have a free for all,I can carve a roast-would that entitle me to perform surgery or I can wire a socket,maybe I'll pretend to be an electrician and go wiring houses at knockdown prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

There is nothing on this tread that says that this guy put this aerial is on the front wall of a house [ only supposition]

I dont use sky brackets or sky dishes [they rot after a few years]

I only use decent compression f connectors [they aren't sold by the main suppliers who post on this site].

Some house's dont have chimneys and might have attic conversions.

Some house's might be old and have biscuit tiles ,which break very easy.

Some suppliers who post on this site have being selling sky brackets as aerial brackets and some till recently haven't being selling aerials at all.

There is no doubt that there are major faults with the install [using the sky bracket etc] , there is nothing wrong with putting an aerial on a back wall
    of a house , providing you can get adequate signal quality.

Sometimes people just dont want an aerial on there roof or their attic is converted, are you going to refuse the job even if the signal quality is perfect at the back wall of the house.

Just like some people dont like using more than one remote control and dont want to use a saorview box and a freesat box with 2 remotes and the TV one of course.

Lots of "What ifs?" there. A properly installed TV, FM or DAB aerial needs to be mounted as reasonably high as practical. The BBC, RTÉNL and Arqiva use a receiving aerial at 10m agl to determine coverage. It is simply good practice to do the job properly where it can be done. I know in Omagh and the local district almost all UHF TV aerials are mounted well above the roof line with the rest still mounted above the gutter line if they are not attic installed - I've not come across one mounted on a wall below the roof line locally that I can remember. There may be a very select few cases where wall mounting a TV aerial is the only practical option and if that's the case, the aerial should be discrete as possible - I've already mentioned grids where the signal hits the wall face on, otherwise a "contract" 10 element aerial is the most that should be needed to keep a low profile; if signal strength isn't strong enough, then that aerial will have to be raised higher up with either a cranked pole (not often seen here locally) or a T & K bracket. Satellite dishes are a different matter.

Look. I don't have a particular problem with aerials mounted on walls and gable ends especially if they are kept neat and not obtrusive (I see FM single dipole aerials often done this way when roof mounting is not an option, especially as a vertical pole isn't likely to gather much attention) but the photo in the case of the person pimping their work is an absolute abortion. I'd be embarrassed to use that to promote my work, a bit like if I was making cakes and I promoted my business using a photo of someone throwing up eating my produce.

RTE set out strict guidelines on the selling of Saorview but now it seems anyone can go knock a few doors,claim to be from RTE and sell stuff that isn't even certified.
    The amount of small ads that have popped up selling saorview and looking to recruit reps is unreal.99% of the boxes aren't even fully compatible let alone certified and this is what they are peddling to the public.
    What strict guidelines are you on about?:confused:
    All they say is that on one can represent themselves as RTE/Saorview employees, because RTE/Saorview don't retail anything.
    I can't blame the genuine,experienced installers from trying to protect their interests.
    Nor do I, it's easy for me to say, as I've no commercial interest in any of this. However, spouting incorrect facts and misinformation won't help anyone.
    We are getting a couple of posters here who feel they are fair game and any Joe Soap is entitled to drag the industry down through bandwaggoning and shoddy practices.
    I hope that's not aimed at me. I don't think it's okay at all, and I'm not sure where I said it was? However, anyone is perfectly entitled to go out and install Saorview, whether anyone here likes it or not.
    Sure while we're at it lets have a free for all,I can carve a roast-would that entitle me to perform surgery or I can wire a socket,maybe I'll pretend to be an electrician and go wiring houses at knockdown prices.
    Like installing aerials, carving a roast is not a regulated industry. However, the other examples are, therefore the comparison is not valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

ted1 wrote: »
    Why not report Scallers company or Tony's company, or Tesco or RTE or anyone more. how are they more likely to be tax compliant?

I'm more likely to be tax compliant as I've been in business for 18 years, I think I would have been caught by now . The revenue argument is valid as the prices these guys are charging means its unlikely in the extreme that they are making a living and paying taxes, the numbers just don't add up.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

There is nothing on this thread that says that this guy put this aerial is on the front wall of a house [ only supposition]...
    The words 'If' and 'might' have already made that clear.
    Another consideration: If the photographed antenna is mounted to front wall of house a contravention of S.I. No. 600/2001 - Planning & Development Regulations 2001 might have occurred.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76887754&postcount=27

BTW scruffy66 where do you stand on having an official body registering aerial & TV system installers where installers would have to become qualified, be fully insured, have a clear criminal record disclosure & be certified to safely work at heights?

Personally would prefer such a registered/qualified/insured/trustworthy/competent installer fitting aerial or TV system in my parents' home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

cast_iron wrote: »
    However, anyone is perfectly entitled to go out and install Saorview, whether anyone here likes it or not.

install 'Saorview' ? :confused: its a protected brand name for the use of RTE and registered retailers, and not to be used by installers, wether anyone here likes it or not.

install 'Saorview' ? :confused:its a protected brand name for the use of RTE and registered retailers, and not to be used by installers, whether anyone here likes it or not.

+1

install 'Saorview' ? :confused: its a protected brand name for the use of RTE and registered retailers, and not to be used by installers, wether anyone here likes it or not.
    I find this very hard to believe. I've asked for evidence a few times and none is forthcoming.

I think you are confusing "saorview" and the "saorview logo"?
    They make it perfectly clear the logo is copyright and this I accept fully.

Saying an installer can't use the word "saorview" is ridiculous. If a customer asks the installer "will this aerial get me saorview?", according to you, all the installer can say is "i'm not allowed say".
    And I'm not sure why scaller is thanking the post, as the post says you can't use the word "saorview" at all. Not great for business, I'd say.:confused:

The words 'If' and 'might' have already made that clear.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76887754&postcount=27

BTW scruffy66 where do you stand on having an official body registering aerial & TV system installers where installers would have to become qualified, be fully insured, have a clear criminal record disclosure & be certified to safely work at heights?

Personally would prefer such a registered/qualified/insured/trustworthy/competent installer fitting aerial or TV system in my parents' home.

Am a member of ISAA, Gerry and steve doing a great job to clean up this industry.

Have full PL Insurance , VAT Registered and TAX Compliant , tough on Crime, Trustworthy and competent installer who guarantee's his work and who always calls back to customers if there is a problem,after all without
    word of mouth you won't last long in business.

Tell your parents to give us a ring.

The DTT signal from Three Rock is booming out, in and round Dublin i can see no problem putting an Aerial on a south facing back wall using a galvanised wall bracket and appropriate aerial.

Not suggesting you PressTheButton but some of the posts ive read remind
    me of the Comic Book store owner from the SIMSONS.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement