Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about specific law.

Options
  • 01-02-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

hey, I know this probably isn't the right forum or sub forum but I can't see any better place to ask this:

By law and not just Irish law, is it allowed to discuss/criticize particular companies and businesses? If yes then what has to be done? Like do I need to write some disclaimer or what? All this discuss/criticize is online on website. Or picking out specific companies isn't allowed by law?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The truth is the ultimate defence in any defamation dispute - basically if you are telling the truth and can prove it, then you can say waht you like. If you can't prove it and you are stretching the truth, then you are in trouble.

I'm always surprised that so many libelous statements are allowed on boards especially with todays ruling on ratemysolicitor - this is going to cause a few problems for discussion boards and you may find some companies and individuals getting a lot more agressive on what is published on forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

maxer68 wrote: »
    The truth is the ultimate defence in any defamation dispute - basically if you are telling the truth and can prove it, then you can say waht you like. If you can't prove it and you are stretching the truth, then you are in trouble.

I'm always surprised that so many libelous statements are allowed on boards especially with todays ruling on ratemysolicitor - this is going to cause a few problems for discussion boards and you may find some companies and individuals getting a lot more agressive on what is published on forums.

Okay but what if I didn't say that? The thing is I am web developer, and I am planning new business, and well lets just say part of this project is to ask people what experiences they had with specific company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

arleitiss wrote: »
    Okay but what if I didn't say that? The thing is I am web developer, and I am planning new business, and well lets just say part of this project is to ask people what experiences they had with specific company.

You can publish the comments, but you can't publish the company's name if the comment is negative unless you have proof or know the comment is true.

IMO - it simply is not worth it and any company taht has to go down the route of saying negative things about a competitor has bigger problems itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is a lot of discussion in the meedja about this at the moment, re TripAdvisor. There i a European directive somewhere about truthfulness on these sites and the consumer protection acts are relevant.

Advertisement