Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Clearance Cert

• 01-02-2012 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just got mail from SEAI saying we all need TAX CLEARANCE CERT. What kind of nonsense is this. I thought we are trying to create employment not make it more difficult. I am self employed and will not be able to produce this cert. Im sure I wont be the only one.
    Any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

desfsi wrote: »
    I am self employed and will not be able to produce this cert.

Why not?
    I'm also self employed and get the cert every year from Revenue.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

all self employed persons are required to be tax complaint.
    you should have a tax clearance cert as a matter of course for your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Just got mail from SEAI saying we all need TAX CLEARANCE CERT. What kind of nonsense is this. I thought we are trying to create employment not make it more difficult. I am self employed and will not be able to produce this cert. Im sure I wont be the only one.
    Any opinions

So long as you are up to date on your tax returns and payments tax clearance certs are easy to get. You can apply online at https://www.revenue.ie/itp/identification.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Im afraid its just another case of the SEAI constantly moving the goalposts. I'm not surprised by it though. In the past year we've had compulsary insurance, a new exam, audits by outside contractors on the increase, constant changes/amendments to the assessment procedures which are introduced on an ad-hoc basis through these ''technical bulletins'' and the ever increasing presence of semi-state bodies in the energy retrofit market, decreasing grants with no notice or consultation. The whole BER business and retrofit market is being slowly wrangled from the small independant contractor/practitioner and handed to the large semi-states.
    Decreasing the grants with a view to trying to get people to pay off their retrofitting is going to force a lot of private companies out of business. How many contractors could afford to let people pay for goods and services over 12-24 months?
    Maintaining your tax clearance is no easy task these days and I symptatise with anybody this affects. With the best intentions in the world, you can fall behind in your payments. Just try and keep your returns up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

The whole BER business and retrofit market is being slowly wrangled from the small independant contractor/practitioner and handed to the large semi-states.

You would think that after Priory Hall the whole "self-certification" malarkey would have got a bad name, but here we go again.... I can't imagine any circumstances in which they are going to give their own products/workmanship a poor BER grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I am self employed and will not be able to produce this cert.
    Well it's certainly not the SEI's fault if your tax affairs are not in order.

The rest of us self employed have to look after our affairs so quite frankly there's no point you coming here and complaining if you are not paying your taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

On the other hand it may further remove some assessors who are not "declaring" anything, I am not refering to the op here BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Any opinions
    If you have been having some problems with your returns, you should contact your local Tax office and have a chat with one of them.
    They're ok to deal with and if your behind a bit they'll let you pay in instalments
    over time.
    Once you have this sorted with them and explain that you need the cert in order to get work in, they'll probably give you a clearance cert to be reviewed every 3 months or so.
    Get the name of the person you're dealing with and always ask for him/her.
    If your straight up with them they'll be the same with you.
    Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Since Jan there are no tax clearance certs , I just got a letter from revenue stating I would be on 0 rate of tax on invoices to priciple contractors for 2012 . The C2 as it was known is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

bertie1 wrote: »
    Since Jan there are no tax clearance certs , I just got a letter from revenue stating I would be on 0 rate of tax on invoices to priciple contractors for 2012 . The C2 as it was known is gone
    If your tendering for any public sector contract you must have a current tax clearance cert.
    I renewed mine online last Monday.
    It was delivered in the post on Thursday.
    The arrangements with C2's are a different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bertie1 wrote: »

Tax clearance still exists. The change to the VAT system for subcontractors is a different issue.
    Just on the C2 issue, you will still be issued with a C2 in most cases. Its just that when nworking for a main contractor, instead of them paying you VAT, they pay the VAT direct to revenue against your account. Its a better system all round meaning typically, the subcontractor will be getting vat back due to having receipts instead of getting a VAT bill and possibly having spent some of the VAT money already received.
    If taking on a job, for example from a private individual where you will in effect be the main contractor, you still have to charge VAT in that case and return it as usual to revenue.
    Much of the C2 function still remains in that it still allows you to be paid without deduction of income tax. Its just the VAT handling that is changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

gerryo777 wrote: »
    If your tendering for any public sector contract you must have a current tax clearance cert.

Contracts where your payment is more than 10,000 or where you earn more than 10,000 from public contracts in a tax year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Dont forget to send your tax claerance cert before the 31st on March!!

Advertisement