Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the "healthy eating" buzz just a load of hogwash?

• 01-02-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

My friend doesn't eat any vegetables except for carrots and potatoes. They are the only vegetables he has ever touched since he was born, and he definitely doesn't eat any fruit, unless you count Fanta as an intake of orange/vitamin C.

He also smokes a lot.

And... HE'S GRAND.

So what's the catch? He's 26 now. Is he going to drop dead in a few years? Is he living life on the edge? I'm sick of stressing myself always trying to get fruit and veg into me every day, because the telly says I have to or else I'll die.

Meanwhile he's relaxing with his chips and pizza. I'm jealous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Broads.ie wrote: »
    My friend doesn't eat any vegetables except for carrots and potatoes. They are the only vegetables he has ever touched since he was born, and he definitely doesn't eat any fruit, unless you count Fanta as an intake of orange/vitamin C.

He also smokes a lot.

And... HE'S GRAND.

So what's the catch? He's 26 now. Is he going to drop dead in a few years? Is he living life on the edge? I'm sick of stressing myself always trying to get fruit and veg into me every day, because the telly says I have to or else I'll die.

It's not quite 'hogwash', more 'balderdash' kind sir!

Good day to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He also smokes a lot.

And... HE'S GRAND.

What about his lifestlye? Does he drink a lot? Exercise?

There are a lot more requirements to a healthy life style than friut and veg.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

He probably is grand - now! But its not untill later in life that a lifestyle like that will catch up with someone.

Or he might just be one of the very lucky few who smoke and eat **** the whole way through to their 90's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

Didnt you know stress is the biggest killer?

Also didnt you know you can get cancer or other sicknesses from everything doesnt matter what you eat or smoke.If your number is up its up.
    So just enjoy life.Eat the fruit because you enjoy it.But did you know if you eat carrots and oranges and the likes in high quantity your skin can turn orange.
    Nothing is safe anymore ahhhhhhhttp://grunty.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/oompa-loompa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Just because he seems grand now doesn't mean he'll be grand for the rest of his life! The bad eating habits will catch up with him eventually until he starts to feel sh*te.

I used to eat pizza, chips and every bad food under the sun and I thought I was grand, then I switched to healthier options and realise I feel a lot better now! I have better concentration at work, my complexion is a lot better, I don't feel tired all the time and my depression isn't near as bad when I eat properly. All of the above is an indicator to me that healthy eating isn't something that's 'just a load of hogwash'

• Advertisement

What ever you do,dont ever listen to doctors in Ireland lol^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And... HE'S GRAND.

Don't worry, if he's not already, he's going to be a fat f*ck soon! :)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Don't worry, if he's not already, he's going to be a fat f*ck soon! :)

He might not be ever,some people are lucky like that,Irish genes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I think as long as you remain active and interested you'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

greimorm wrote: »
    He might not be ever,some people are lucky like that,Irish genes :)

These Irish genes aren't immune to pizza. Nothing is immune to pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Fella I know smoked 40 a day. Died when he was 86. Knocked down by a bus. Should have eaten more carrots I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

No matter what you do there is someone out there saying its going to kill you. You might as well do what you want and enjoy yourself! :)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    These Irish genes aren't immune to pizza. Nothing is immune to pizza.

Weird i can eat anything and everything and never put on weight lol And havent ever been larger than a 10 :p
    As i said some genes have it others dont lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can handle a bad diet a lot better when you're younger, in terms of weight and health. It's when you're older the bad habits can bite you on the ass.

When you're in your twenties, you think you'll always be able to burn off the food and drink with no effort but It's very often not the case.

stovelid wrote: »
    You can handle a bad diet a lot better when you're younger, in terms of weight and health. It's when you're older the bad habits can bite you on the ass.

When you're in your twenties, you think you'll always be able to burn off the food and drink with no effort but It's very often not the case.

I think being too careful can be bad for you also.So win win is eat everything in moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You would be best asking a 30, 40 or 50 year old who drinks and smokes heavy and also has a lousy diet . Many of them look 15 years older or more than they really should do .Now't wrong with healthy eating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

He also smokes a lot.

And... HE'S GRAND.

post again in ten years and let us know how he feels then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Unhealthy eating will always catch up with you eventually, whatever your genes.

Even with healthy diets like the Mediterranean diet, the high amount of grains and carbs catches up with lots of people when they're older.
    You see it a lot in Italy where young people look great but you see lots of overweight old people who balloon when they're older and get less active.

I, like others posting here, was one of those people who didn't put on much weight despite what I ate (and weight isn't the only indication of health), but in my mid-twenties I started to put on weight and not feel great after eating junk food.

So I improved my diet and got more exercise, and immediately felt better, both physically and mentally, and looked better too.

So no, healthy eating isn't bulls**t, it's sound advice.

But here's the thing: you don't have to go overboard and only eat raw carrots and spinach.

I eat well overall and get lots of exercise, which allows me to treat myself with junk food more regularly than you think.
    And healthy food doesn't have to be horrible.
    You can make most of the same dishes you might already enjoy (pasta, stir fries, curries) only with smaller portions and as many fresh ingredients as possible.

As in all things, moderation is the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You're him aren't you?

I would say the smoking is perhaps the unhealthiest thing you're doing.

Packing in the smokes leads to a far better quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You can live a pretty healthy life on just spuds and milk if you eat the skins too, thats why the famine was so devastating here in Ireland, that's basically all they were eating. I wouldn't recommend it mind you, but it can be done.

Regular exercise is more important than your diet, and I don't mean a quick stroll into work for pity's sake, I know people who thought that would do it dying early now. You have to keep pushing yourself, the body is a lazy little child that will sit on the couch all day eating chocolates and watching movies if it could - realise that and discipline your body.

Still what you put in is important, but a bit of everything except sugary snacks and you wont go too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

He also smokes a lot.

And... HE'S GRAND.

The problem with nutrition is you don't realise how crap you feel on certain foods till you eliminate or replace them. Thats why when a lot of people go on diets to loss weight that involves cutting out grains, they are surprised about how better they feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I eat healthy and exercise and i still feel pretty sh1tty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Fella I know smoked 40 a day. Died when he was 86. Knocked down by a bus. Should have eaten more carrots I'd say.
    Was it dark out when he got hit by that bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I think I read before that eating a low number of calories over the course of ones life (low, but not starvation level) is the only known way to slow down ageing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Is this "asbestos is dangerous stuff" just a load of hogwash? I sniff pure asbestos for the buzz, I'm 24 now and...I'm GRAND.

****ing hell OP, I hope for your sake you're trolling.

Advertisement