Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave for men/fathers

Options
  • 01-02-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Whats the entitlement for men in regards to leave from work when wife gives birth? Ive been told its 2 days paid and then 2 weeks unpaid, i cant find anything to back that up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So have'nt been watching all those satellite channels all the time:D. It is/was 3 days in the P.S.Should be similar in most employments. Have a look at welfare.ie, but there's not a whole lot there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is a dream:)

There is no entitlement to paternity leave in Ireland.

The civil service gives 3 days.

You are entitled to unpaid parental leave though.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's an absolute disgrace that men are entitled to feck all, it's as if it's nothing to do with them! Last time I was in hospital for 5 days after a section, if it happens again, my other half will have to eat into annual leave to mind the wee fella. He has already had to plan around me probably going overdue, 6 months before the event!

They should get a week at the very very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I actually thought it had been changed this year, so that men did get 2 days? Does sound a bit unfair, I cant afford not to work and i need annual leave for other times off this year. Hopefully then she will give birth Easter thursday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

I emailed the minister responsible and was told that it was too expensive and they were "looking into it for the future" .........

Pile of rubbish. This is what happens when you have a bunch of old men running the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Does it not depend on where you work?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes,
    Civil servants get 3 days and some of the big american companies give 2 weeks.
    There is no legal entitlement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just do what most people do. We take 2 weeks holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

yes but where i work, you book all your holidays in march for the year, so if you have a baby, you have to find out who has that week and ask for a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I work as a tech in a factory and we are entitled to 1 week paid which i am happy with, know in a few other places the lads take half days, depends on where you are working i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

It's a total disgrace and it helps nobody. I had to take 3 weeks unpaid leave after the birth of our baby girl last year as there were complications after the birth which meant my wife was confined to her bed for a while. As a result, i had no income for those 3 weeks and boss was extra grumpy i was gone for so long. The fact that i have to apply for unpaid leave to attend my own daughter's birth is in itself a ridiculous scenario. Funny that those who create and implement these laws are entitled to 3 days paid paternity leave. Once again, us in the real world are left high and dry!

The way the law is at the moment assumes that the mother is fully capable after 24 hours to care for their newborn. In some cases this may be true but in a hell of a lot of cases it just isnt. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moonbeam wrote: »
    some of the big american companies give 2 weeks
    This big american company only gives two days, so it's annual leave time for a fortnight or so. Though, to be fair, they do allow you to work from home for a day a week and are really flexible about hours (and it helps that the average age in here is parents-with-young-families age :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

The big american company I work for gave me 2 weeks. Completely at the discretion of my manager though - it certainly isn't an entitlement. Very generous they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From written questions in the Dail on March 15:
    Simon Harris (Wicklow, Fine Gael)
    Question 110: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he intends to make any amendments to maternity leave regulations in order to allow parents to share this entitlement to leave between them; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14865/12]

Question 111: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he intends to amend adoptive leave regulations to allow either parent to avail of this entitlement; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14866/12]

Question 112: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he has any plans to consolidate the leave entitlements outlined under the Maternity Protections Act, the Adoptive Leave Act and the Parental Leave Act; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14867/12]

Question 113: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the rights to maternity or parental leave accruing to the parents or adoptive parents of a child; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14868/12]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 110 to 113, inclusive, together.

The family leave entitlements that currently apply to parents or adoptive parents of a child are outlined in the Maternity Protection Acts 1998 and 2004, the Parental Leave Acts 1998 and 2006 and the Adoptive Leave Acts 1995 and 2005.

My Department is currently preparing proposals for legislation to transpose Council Directive 2010/18/EU of 8 March 2010 implementing the revised Framework Agreement on Parental Leave concluded by BUSINESSEUROPE, UEAPME, CEEP and ETUC and repealing Directive 96/34/EC. The Bill will also consolidate the existing family leave Acts. While I do not intend to provide for sharing of maternity and adoptive leave, as this would take from the existing entitlements of mothers, I should point out that parental leave under the Directive is being increased from 14 to 18 weeks and is available to both parents. The feasibility of introducing further improvements in the family leave area will be considered as work on the Bill progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Is there any mention of whether this leave will be paid or unpaid? Currently it is unpaid leave so not much help to most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sparks wrote: »
    From written questions in the Dail on March 15:

Ugh, and fail to answer question 110 at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Is there any mention of whether this leave will be paid or unpaid? Currently it is unpaid leave so not much help to most people

I'm not sure if lads are aware of this, but every man is entitled to 14 weeks unpaid leave.

Now I know it is unpaid which is not much help to a lot of people as they will not be able to afford to take it.

However you can take two weeks of it if you want and save the rest for some other time.

There is no statutory paternity leave.

Any paternity leave granted is at the discretion of the employer. Some public and private sector employees get 3 or 5 days. Some get nothing.

It's sad that there is not at least 5 days statutory. There should be 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Legally the shortest period your employer has to agree to is a 6 weeks block it's just some will let you take shorter ones. 2 weeks unpaid is one thing but I doubt there are many people who could afford to take 6 weeks unpaid. Hopefully they will change that in the legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Legally the shortest period your employer has to agree to is a 6 weeks block it's just some will let you take shorter ones. 2 weeks unpaid is one thing but I doubt there are many people who could afford to take 6 weeks unpaid. Hopefully they will change that in the legislation.

I didn't know that Ann.

Total joke. Who can afford to take 6 weeks unpaid these days.

Would only suit if the mother was back working.

Advertisement