Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on my first edited video

Options
  • 01-02-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Just wanted an opinon on the editing in this video. Anything i could do different or new let me know please.

I made it for a college assigment using final cut pro. The camera itself wasnt the greatest for recording but the assigment was more on your editing skills than your shooting skills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know the fade to black suits the theme, but; it does get quite repetitive.

Not pimping my link but here is something a little bit similar which you may be able to get some ideas from. (It also doesn't have professionally recorded video, and uses some similar relationship-ish images.)

Intro titles are very important in establishing a connection with your audience, white text on a black background is very common and simply overlaying the text just makes it seem that much more interesting. Seeing as this is shared over youtube, your audience are youtubers, low attention spanned fools waiting for you to share your message with them. Jump cuts can be used to keep them interested, as long as the cut is on a beat or suits the context, however if overused or too frequent, it may make the tempo of the video seem faster than it should be, and for a slow song like this, that's definitely not what you want.

Take what you want from what I'm saying, I'm by no stretch of the word a professional and I can barely call myself an amateur. But it's just my opinion I've got from some experience in this field.

Overall nicely done though, since you were working with final cut, don't hesitate to add a smooth filter to every clip, it's surprising how it can make nearly all footage look better, and if you play around with the settings you can still make the camera sway look natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

I know the fade to black suits the theme, but; it does get quite repetitive.

Not pimping my link but here is something a little bit similar which you may be able to get some ideas from. (It also doesn't have professionally recorded video, and uses some similar relationship-ish images.)

Intro titles are very important in establishing a connection with your audience, white text on a black background is very common and simply overlaying the text just makes it seem that much more interesting. Seeing as this is shared over youtube, your audience are youtubers, low attention spanned fools waiting for you to share your message with them. Jump cuts can be used to keep them interested, as long as the cut is on a beat or suits the context, however if overused or too frequent, it may make the tempo of the video seem faster than it should be, and for a slow song like this, that's definitely not what you want.

Take what you want from what I'm saying, I'm by no stretch of the word a professional and I can barely call myself an amateur. But it's just my opinion I've got from some experience in this field.

Overall nicely done though, since you were working with final cut, don't hesitate to add a smooth filter to every clip, it's surprising how it can make nearly all footage look better, and if you play around with the settings you can still make the camera sway look natural.

Thanks that exactly the honest opinion i was looking for, I like the shots you have in your clip and it does give me a few ideas that i could use in the future. Yea i dont think the jump cuts would'nt fit with that song but i may use them for my next project.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

For a music video the cuts are far too long. The first shot is 24 seconds long, the second is 18....for a music video thats very unlikely to hold anyones attention unless there theres something very interesting happening in the shots, and in all honesty in this case there isnt.

On the most basic fundamental, dont try to shoot an entire scene with one camera shot. Film it a few times over from different angles and edit the footage together to look like its being shot on a number of cameras. Obviously theres more to it then that, entire books written on the do's and dont's of camera angles, crossing the line etc....for a quick example look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

Try to break up your shots on your next project. It really will make a massive difference to how much your end product will be able to hold the attention of your audience.

Advertisement