Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels in Midlands?

• 01-02-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a place to board my dog for the last two weeks of Feb. I am in Westmeath but don't mind driving for the right place.

Its important that the place be heated. My dog has a very light coat.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I found a new place today and really like it!
    Its called Kendlea Kennels in Kilcullen, Co, Kildare (maybe too far for you?)
    Spacious kennels with a good size area outside (which catches the sun), spotless indoor areas in all kennels with underfloor heating. Several walks a day and a huge outdoor filed area that is completely fenced in for play time!
    And the guy who run it home cook food for the dogs!! He makes a pasta/rice/veg and chicken, salmon or meat pot of food fresh every day andif you wish your dog to have this, he will mix it with their regular food or whatever you wish.
    Best of all for me though is the fact that the dogs are not locked in for the the night until about 9p.m., after they get out to wee etc. Most kennels I know seem to shut down at 5p.m. and the dogs see no-one again until morning:eek:
    I was really impressed and I am seriously fussy!!!:o
    Haven't tried it out yet but have made a booking for two weeks in March while we are away.
    Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

percy212 wrote: »
    I am looking for a place to board my dog for the last two weeks of Feb. I am in Westmeath but don't mind driving for the right place.

Its important that the place be heated. My dog has a very light coat.

Anyone have a recommendation?

There is a brand new purpose bulit kennels 10 minutes outside Mullingar on the Athlone road.

The place is called "The Dog House". The address is Strattenstown, Ballinea, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.

Telephone: 044-9347676 or 087-2722917

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Red Gables 15 minutes outside Kinnegad is very good. Have used quite a few before settling on Red Gables. Owner Ashley lives for the work. price should be a factor too in these times.
    Some places are gone far more competitive than others. I brought my two on holidays all over England last year as the boarding price was just too dear to leave them here. Ps the ferry took them both ways for free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shazanne wrote: »
    I found a new place today and really like it!
    Its called Kendlea Kennels in Kilcullen, Co, Kildare (maybe too far for you?)
    Spacious kennels with a good size area outside (which catches the sun), spotless indoor areas in all kennels with underfloor heating. Several walks a day and a huge outdoor filed area that is completely fenced in for play time!
    And the guy who run it home cook food for the dogs!! He makes a pasta/rice/veg and chicken, salmon or meat pot of food fresh every day andif you wish your dog to have this, he will mix it with their regular food or whatever you wish.
    Best of all for me though is the fact that the dogs are not locked in for the the night until about 9p.m., after they get out to wee etc. Most kennels I know seem to shut down at 5p.m. and the dogs see no-one again until morning:eek:
    I was really impressed and I am seriously fussy!!!:o
    Haven't tried it out yet but have made a booking for two weeks in March while we are away.
    Hope this helps!!

I use here all the time. It's the only place I'd use. Brilliant with the dogs and very obliging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I was in the same position a few months ago, I wanted somewhere where my dogs would be kept inside and comfortable. They are used to sleeping inside and one has a very thin coat.

I couldn't reccomend Tullamore Pet Hotel highly enough if it's near enough for you. My two had a ball there. She keeps the dog in her own home and treats them like one of her own.

They sleep inside the house and are very well looked after, she goes above and beyond for them. One of mine was unsettled the first few nights so she actually slept downstairs on the couch with her.

She's fully insured and very reasonable pricewise too.

http://www.tullamorepethotel.com/

http://www.facebook.com/tullamorepethotel

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I use here all the time. It's the only place I'd use. Brilliant with the dogs and very obliging.

Great to hear that Whispered.
    I was really impressed with the place but to get an endorsement from someone who uses ii is brilliant!! I am even happier now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know Keith too through the dog shows. Lovely guy and your dog woud be very well cared for :)

andreac wrote: »
    I know Keith too through the dog shows. Lovely guy and your dog woud be very well cared for :)

He is such a lovely guy! And really committed to the care of the dogs. I was blown away with the home cooking and the fact that he wouldn't dream of closing up the kennels at 5p.m. or 6p.m. and leaving the dogs locked in all night!!
    Has some fantastic dry food there for dogs as well - its a German brand. Not widely available in Ireland. Going to give it a try.

I use the food. Both boys doing very well on it. Harley had problems with his anal glands and when on it he has no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Although it's a bit away I'd recommend The Dog Ranch hotel in Cavan. Both owners are fully trained in dog training and behavioural. They run an open kennel and day care fir dogs. Google them and check out their website or FB page. They are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Whispered wrote: »

Sounds very good ; I've two great places that I use & love but am always on the lookout for new spots for fear "mine" is booked out when I need it!!!!
    I love the later bedtime for the fidos!!! Particularly for the summer when it's the long sunny evenings. How big is the outdoor space ( before I do the drive down!) & can you remember aprox how much it cost?

EDIT; I've googled kendlea kennels & they ve come up as staffi & rottweiler place. Is this the same place you were recommending?
    Thanks.

Thanks!

That's them justathought, he shows staffs and rotties. But the kennels obviously look after all breeds including smaller dogs.

Advertisement