Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone here mill their own flaxseed?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

i'm looking for advice from anyone who mills their own flaxseed - if you use a coffee grinder, which brand/model do you use?

i've been looking at reviews on amazon of different coffee grinders but can't come to any consensus as to which one is better. due to geographical constraints it'd have to be bought online and i'd prefer not to order one, find out it doesn't work for flaxseed and then be stuck with it!

there's an irish company advertising a manual kuhn rikon mill for flaxseed but i'd prefer an electric one.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My mother does this. I can ask her the model of grinder next time I talk to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

that'd be great, thanks picarooney. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I usually mill my own but my grinder is in storage at the moment. :rolleyes:

It is something like this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Twin-Blade-Coffee-Mill/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1328237226&sr=1-1

Mine is quite small so it takes a while to mill a bag of linseeds but I would do a batch every week or so and store the milled stuff in a jar in the fridge.

I wouldn't hold down the button when milling but give it around 10 pulses so that it doesn't get pulverised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Brown linseeds from Tesco + Argos coffee grinder.

However I do soak the milled seeds in water or soya milk (i like soya milk, no other reason) because I found that when I ate them without soaking them they tore up my stomach and intentines (a lot!). Just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

@ sudz: that one's a good price for sure and it looks nice, but i had a look at a video review of it, looks like the bowl isn't removable and you have to clean it out with a paper towel/wee brush thingy. is it bad i'm too lazy for that?!

@ Dermighty : never thought of argos actually, thanks. had a look on their website and found this one which has a removable bowl so seems to be much easier to clean so i'm going to take a punt on it. i usually have flaxseed on cooked porridge or in smoothies or with cereal, all used with soya milk and yeah - i hear ya on the not soaking them first thing, been there, won't be going there again! ;)

thanks for the replies people, very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

artyeva wrote: »
    @ Dermighty : never thought of argos actually, thanks. had a look on their website and found this one which has a removable bowl so seems to be much easier to clean so i'm going to take a punt on it. i usually have flaxseed on cooked porridge or in smoothies or with cereal, all used with soya milk and yeah - i hear ya on the not soaking them first thing, been there, won't be going there again! ;)

I got the 15 euro white argos crap grinder, it's a pain in the ass to clean so i usually just wait a few days and wipe it with a tea towel instead of actually washing it, I'm still alive so I figure it's not doing too much damage.

Advertisement