Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD RAID 0 questions

Options
  • 01-02-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I have a motherboard that supports SATAII, I do not have any spare PCIe slots, I'm thinking of running 2 SSD's in RAID 0 to maximise performance, I have some questions though

1. Will I be getting speeds beyond SATAII with this setup?

2.Will TRIM be supported and if not what is the workaround?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

No, no, none.

Ha ha, best answer EVER!

That's that idea shelved so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

gtg60 wrote: »
    Ha ha, best answer EVER!

That's that idea shelved so...
    Sorry, I misread your post initially. You can get speeds in excess of 300 MB/s with sata 2 ports, depending on which drives you're using. (Not an issue with most modern SSDs) TRIM is not supported in RAID set ups. It's not a huge issue with good SSDs, their controllers do a good enough job.

My understanding of RAID 0 is that data is striped across the 2 drives and as a consequence the data is read (almost) twice as fast as a single drive.

Say I get a pair of SSD's that reach SATA II's max speed (then in RAID 0) won't I get a good bit beyond SATAII speeds, like closer to SATA III speeds??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

gtg60 wrote: »
    My understanding of RAID 0 is that data is striped across the 2 drives and as a consequence the data is read (almost) twice as fast as a single drive.

Say I get a pair of SSD's that reach SATA II's max speed (then in RAID 0) won't I get a good bit beyond SATAII speeds, like closer to SATA III speeds??
    Aye.

Any recommendations for a good set of SSD's to suit this purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

crucial m4 or the Samsung 830 series.

the best of the lot this gen.

Intel's SSDs are the most reliable, but not worth the premium you pay, especially considering the slower speeds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Bear in mind that if either ssd fails it's game over unless you got a backup.

Advertisement