Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayweather Cotto May 5

• 01-02-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

All over twitter. PBF laying into ms Pac Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Yeah ......... and its at 154 !
    Really surprised Mayweather isnt draining him down to a handicap 147.

Whats the catch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Cotto's the man at 154 so he's a legit opponent. Difficult to see him posing much of a threat though. His chin and stamina are questionable at this stage. How many of those lead right hands is he going to eat before he backs up and goes into survival mode?

I believe Mayweather's chin is in bits since Mosley rocked him in the early rounds.

Rumor has it that he still goes to bed with an ice-pack.

I believe Mayweather's chin is in bits since Mosley rocked him in the early rounds.

Rumor has it that he still goes to bed with an ice-pack.

I hear he sleeps naked in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

A 35 year old moving up in weight to fight a dangerous younger fighter, could be worth a punt on Cotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A 35 year old moving up in weight to fight a dangerous younger fighter, could be worth a punt on Cotto.

Yonger in years only. More ragged, worn and battle worn. PBF is fresher in boxing terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Henno30 wrote: »
    His chin and stamina are questionable at this stage.

Thats how ya look when fighting dehydrated, hence why i think he won't look as bad as against Pacman-although i still see only 1 winner i do believe its a genuine fight at this weight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Thats how ya look when fighting dehydrated, hence why i think he won't look as bad as against Pacman-although i still see only 1 winner i do believe its a genuine fight at this weight.

But that was 2 years ago too. Cotto has regressed further since then. I would say he is more for the taking now than when he met Manny. Cotto's stamina has been questioned several times, even before Manny got him.

Floyd will win via UD, in a dull fight.

walshb wrote: »
    But that was 2 years ago too. Cotto has regressed further since then. I would say he is more for the taking now than when he met Manny. Cotto's stamin has been questioned sevral times, even before Manny got him.

Floyd will win via UD, in a dull fight.

Could not be worse than he was in that fight, he was like a zombie from dehydration, similar to De la Hoya v Manny.

i think it will be an entertaining fight to be honest, can't see it been a slow boring fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Could not be worse than he was in that fight, he was like a zombie from dehydration, similar to De la Hoya v Manny.

He weighed in 1lb lighter than he did in the fight before it. So at 146 he's perfect and at 145 he's a weight drained zombie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

colly10 wrote: »
    He weighed in 1lb lighter than he did in the fight before it. So at 146 he's perfect and at 145 he's a weight drained zombie?

don't know an awful lot about top level boxing do you?

I think this fight is legit.

It's disappointing it's not against Miss Pac Man but I still have to give floyd credit for taking cotto on at his optimum weight. lest we forget manny cotto 2 didn't happen because manny refused to take him at anything above 147.

Legit fight, still think it'll be easy work for the P4P King though. Can't see him coping with floyd's speed and feline reflexes at all

i think it will be an entertaining fight to be honest, can't see it been a slow boring fight.

Well, I didn't see that. Cotto started very well, and was level up to 4 rds. He got walloped, dropped, hurt, and then Manny piled it on. Cotto just couldn't handle the speed/power combination. Cotto is just not in Manny's league, 2 lb difference or not.

colly10 wrote: »
    Cotto is just not in Manny's league, 2 lb difference or not.

2lb down from 147 which is normal weight and 9lb heavier fighting Mayweather, thats considerable as far as been drained goes.

If you's don't think this is an important difference to the upcoming fight then thats fine, i do and it makes it much more competitive.

2lb down from 147 which is normal weight and 9lb heavier fighting Mayweather, thats considerable as far as been drained goes.

If you's don't think this is an important difference to the upcoming fight then thats fine, i do and it makes it much more competitive.

Every ounce at top level boxing can be important. But, when they did meet Cotto was a "147 lb" fighter. Yes, that 2 lbs is important, but I doubt it made much difference that night. Manny was simply better. I think Cotto back then was better than Cotto today.

Every ounce at top level boxing can be important. But, when they did meet Cotto was a "147 lb" fighter. Yes, that 2 lbs is important, but I doubt it made much difference that night. Manny was simply better. I think Cotto back then was better than Cotto today.

I think it was well known he was cutting hard to make 147 so 145 was very tough, believe me i cut regular and it's the final lb or 2 that are the killer, at 154 he should be strong and healthy-massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

horsemeat wrote: »
    don't know an awful lot about top level boxing do you?

I think this fight is legit.

Don't forget to come back and remind of that after the fight. Funny you say I don't know much about top level cause you appear to know **** all about anything except mayweather.
    Your a Mayweather fan, not a boxing fan and your posts reflect this

Edit: by the way, when you quote a bit of text it makes sense to respond to the piece actually quoted. My comment was related to the manny Cotto fight, nothing to do with Mayweather. What's the point in quoting me and responding with something that has **** all to do with what I actually said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

if the fight is definitely at 154lbs then its very interesting

mayweather doesnt have the power of pacman to turn the fight with one punch as happened in the cotto v pacman fight

cotto was doing well up until he got caught badly

at 154 cotto should be stronger than mayweather, hits harder, good speed, good boxing skills and very good jab

mayweather will be 35, cotto closer to 30....

at 154lbs i think floyd will win but cotto definitely has a chance

the extra 7lbs up from welter is huge for someone who was struggling with the weight....it will help everything in terms of stamina, speed, power chin

if it happens at 154lbs then full credit to floyd especially after cotto is coming off a great display against margarito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

It's embarrassing that people, including a mod, cannot discuss Floyd's next fight without taking a dig at Manny. Who actually cares? It's been done to death. I actually can't wait until both of them retire.

Hopefully the fanboys of both sides disappear when they're gone.

As for the fight, I think it will be a pretty easy fight for Floyd. Cotto is damaged goods regardless of the weight.

moneyman wrote: »
    It's embarrassing that people, including a mod, cannot discuss Floyd's next fight without taking a dig at Manny.

I am a regualr poster 1st and foremost-if all goes well in here then modding is unnecessary-people wanted PBF v Manny and Arum put a stop to that, now we have Cotto and it's ok.

been annoyed that its not thye best option is fine and personally i am, at least PBF has made it competitive by doing it at a proper weight.

Don't bring me been a mod into it again unless you want to pm me about it, and i certainly will not miss out on posting because i am a mod here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I am a regualr poster 1st and foremost-if all goes well in here then modding is unnecessary-people wanted PBF v Manny and Arum put a stop to that, now we have Cotto and it's ok.

been annoyed that its not thye best option is fine and personally i am, at least PBF has made it competitive by doing it at a proper weight.

Don't bring me been a mod into it again unless you want to pm me about it, and i certainly will not miss out on posting because i am a mod here.

I wasn't trying to take a dig at you and I'm certainly not suggesting you shouldn't post! I don't have a problem with you at all, I just think it's pointless, and inflammatory (whether intentional or not) to bring Manny into it unnecessarily when you know what the reaction will be. This thread is already well on the way to becoming Floyd vs. Manny again, even though it has nothing to do with the latter!

I'm just tired of the same arguments over and over. This thread isn't for that!

• Advertisement

It is though, even the op mentions Manny

the 24/7 will be all about that too and how Cotto stepped up to the plate etc etc

the 2 stories are interlinked and especially in this thread as how it was set out.

Well, I didn't see that. Cotto started very well, and was level up to 4 rds. He got walloped, dropped, hurt, and then Manny piled it on. Cotto just couldn't handle the speed/power combination. Cotto is just not in Manny's league, 2 lb difference or not.

I'd agree with this. Not saying the weight issue didn't matter but it gets overplayed. Pacquiao's handspeed was just too much for Cotto and I worry that it will be the same against Floyd. So Floyd won't exchange as much as Manny but his timing is far superior and he's more than capable of consistently beating Cotto to the punch and landing clean pot shots all night.

In any case, what kind of fight is Cotto likely to fight? Is he going to let Floyd come at him? Is he going to try walk Floyd down? Has he still got to heart to try rough Floyd up? He's going to have to get it very right to take this fight to Mayweather imo. If he does, we just might have a serious fight on our hands. If not, it'll be a shut out.

In any case, what kind of fight is Cotto likely to fight? Is he going to let Floyd come at him? Is he going to try walk Floyd down? Has he still got to heart to try rough Floyd up? He's going to have to get it very right to take this fight to Mayweather imo. If he does, we just might have a serious fight on our hands. If not, it'll be a shut out.

agree totally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I actually like this match up. Fair dues to Floyd for making the fight at 154lb. I reckon Cotto refused it at lower weights & when a fight with Manny was off the cards Mayweather was forced to move up in order to get a decent match, otherwise he would be in the clinker by now.:pac::pac:

yeah i agree....the more i think about this bout the more i like it......i think the added weight will help cotto more than it helps floyd.....

cotto has the power to hurt mayweather, especially at 154....he also has speed and boxing ability

the main thing cotto's 2nd fight against margarito showed was that he has an excellent ability to stick rigidly to a game plan and not deviate from it

this could be key if he stands a chance of beating floyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I actually don't buy this idea that Cotto is damaged goods. Of course Manny got to him & finished him clinically. But surely a fighter is capable of learning from mistakes & making damn sure they are not caught the same way again.

I think if Cotto stays on the back foot & forces Floyd to come forward, & sticks with the gameplan, he has a chance. I still go for a Floyd win though, haven't decided if it will be by KO or decision yet. I love it when match-ups make me think like this. Bring it on!

Cotto is still a capable fighter, I just don't think he is as good today as a few years back. Floyd will win, UD, but Cotto will be competitive. Floyd probaly will not TKO him, actually, I would be suprised if he did.

since cotto was beaten to manny he has:

won every fight

won another title at another weight

beat margarito convincingly with an excellent display

looked very good in every fight since pacman

i don't see any reason to suggest cotto is in decline since his fight with manny.....might be since he lost to margarito as he lost unbeaten record etc.

he got caught by a puncher in pacman and thats how he lost....a fighter isn't suddenly in decline if they lose

i don't see any evidence since cotto's fight with manny that he's in decline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Fight should have happened in and around 2008, before Cotto got battered by Manny and Margarito.

The weight it's fought at gives it credibility.

I'm so disillusioned by all the big fights amounting to nothing, I'll gladly accept this fight.

Love watching Cotto box, Mayweather is a technical genius. Fair enough.

• Advertisement

since cotto was beaten to manny he has:

won every fight

won another title at another weight

beat margarito convincingly with an excellent display

Or alternatively:

- Beaten a fighter who was hobbling for half the fight

- Beaten a nearly 40 year old Mayorga

- Beaten a Margarito who hadn't fought in over 12 months

I'm not trashing Cotto, I just don't think that the questions which emerged in the Pacquiao and Margarito (I) fights have been fully answered. Margarito never tested him because he couldn't land on him. Cotto never had to come forward and initiate exchanges either. I don't think it tells us a lot that is relevant to a fight with Mayweather.

That's the problem with Mayweather I suppose, none of us really know what attributes matter most. Castillo did it of course, bu nobody's fought anything near as good a fight as that against him since, Oscar included.

Or alternatively:

- Beaten a fighter who was hobbling for half the fight

- Beaten a nearly 40 year old Mayorga

- Beaten a Margarito who hadn't fought in over 12 months

I'm not trashing Cotto, I just don't think that the questions which emerged in the Pacquiao and Margarito (I) fights have been fully answered. Margarito never tested him because he couldn't land on him. Cotto never had to come forward and initiate exchanges either. I don't think it tells us a lot that is relevant to a fight with Mayweather.

That's the problem with Mayweather I suppose, none of us really know what attributes matter most. Castillo did it of course, bu nobody's fought anything near as good a fight as that against him since, Oscar included.

i agree with most of that ....none of these wins were great triumphs when considering his legacy etc.

the reason i made the point was i was highlighting that although he didnt fight great opposition, he didnt show any signs of further decline in these fights, since fighting pacman

therefore i don't think one can say cotto is worse now than when he fought pacman because there is no evidence of this in the fights he's had since pacman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's unquantifiable though, he boxed clever and didn't get into any trouble at all in either of those fights. It's hard to know what'll happen when he is properly tested again.

It's unquantifiable though, he boxed clever and didn't get into any trouble at all in either of those fights. It's hard to know what'll happen when he is properly tested again.

yeah i agree it's hard to tell whether or not he's declined

my point was in relation to a previous poster who said cotto had declined since fighting pacman

i questioned this and asked where is the evidence as he's shown no sign of decline in the fights since....

i wasn't saying he fought great ppl etc. but to me he didn't show any signs of decline....it could well be as you say he hasn't been tested properly but going on the fights he had i didnt see any obvious decline

I have a feeling Floyd may find it difficult to make 147 these days .......

I cant see why he wouldn't drain Cotto if he was able to .

Anyway, the odds are out for this fight :

Mayweather 1/6 vs. Cotto 4/1

I don't know why , but I havent got excited about this fight yet .

On paper its a good match up , but I just not feeling the buzz off this fight :(

:(

I would agree here. I am sure he could make it, but I feel that it would be a wee bit more difficult than earlier, and that is to be expected.

• Advertisement

I cant see why he wouldn't drain Cotto if he was able to .

We're talking about it as a legit match, if at 147 we would not be-they know that the fan's would not buy into it if at the drained weight.

Advertisement